Closed Thread
Page 79 of 1301 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 179 579 1079 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 26007

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    A first mate to me...is someone who's actually given the role of first mate from the beginning.
    And that's not Zoro. Oda has never referred to him as the "first mate", only as the swordsman.
    And that is the key. The manga showed a supernova thinking that Zoro was the first mate (back 1st time in SA) but that is diffferent than Oda clearly stating he is the first mate. It was clearly said that Nami is navigator, Usopp is marksman, Sanji is the cook, Franky is shipwright, & Chopper is doctor. But Zoro and Robin have never had a postion so clearly said. FANS say 'first mate' and 'historian' for them but Oda has not.

edit as Darker said, Zoro has a postion stated as fighter.

I'm sure Robin's usually referred to as the Archaeologist by the rest of the crew.

In my opinion Zoro is the first mate..

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    A first mate to me...is someone who's actually given the role of first mate from the beginning.
    And that's not Zoro. Oda has never referred to him as the "first mate", only as the swordsman.
    I think this whole Zoro is the first mate deserves more of thorough look than just "it hasn't been stated". Here's our stance:

Are we in a position where it is safe to assume he is first mate?

Perhaps it does not need to be stated, as it was kind of implied through other avenues. For example: We can argue that Zoro parallels Rayleigh. Even the situation from which Roger first met Rayleigh is reminiscent of when Luffy first met Zoro.

EVEN if Luffy or any other entity does not label Zoro as a first mate, does it really matter? After all Zoro has taken the responsibility of acting as a second in command. So even without the title he still takes on the role.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Let's put it this way, as long as Zoro is on the crew, it's doubtful that anyone else will have the role of "First Mate".

I think it's clear that Oda originally planned for nine members, but he has said in an SBS that he would like the Straw Hats to be as big as a soccer team, which has eleven members.
    Ah, so if we include Jimbei, that means they only got one more member to go. I know I mentioned it before, but I feel a Logia user would be ideal for that final position. While I know Logia isn't an invincible power since the New World is full of potential Haki users, the versatility of the Logia would separate them from the rest of the team. I'm just not too sure exactly what kind of Logia they would gain. Most of the really neat ones have already been taken by other characters, and/or there's a Strawhat who can use that element with their own talents (i.e. Nami's lightning control, Brook's ice sword, Sanji's blaze kick, etc).

So assuming the final member is a Logia user, what element do you guys think would round out the team? Try to avoid elements the Strawhats already use in their own attacks.

There really shouldn't be another Devil Fruit user in the Straw Hats because they already have too much. It becomes a problem if they fall into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Darker View Post
    You shouldn't state your opinion like it's a fact.

I know Zoro's role is really close to what you called first mate or vice-captain, but he never be referred that way...not even once in the story.
    Back in Sabaody, Urouge Said that Zoro is the first mate. http://www.mangareader.net/103-2606-...apter-499.html

The issue comes up when someone believes that there should be an official First Mate position filled.

Big question is- do you want a First Mate that isn't Zoro? Even if Jimbei is a veteran pirate, it would be weird for him to suddenly gain seniority over the rest of the crew. Heck, it would be weird for anyone new to start becoming an example for the Straw Hats.

Quote Originally Posted by 1PceXperience View Post
    I think this whole Zoro is the first mate deserves more of thorough look than just "it hasn't been stated". Here's our stance:

Are we in a position where it is safe to assume he is first mate?

Perhaps it does not need to be stated, as it was kind of implied through other avenues. For example: We can argue that Zoro parallels Rayleigh. Even the situation from which Roger first met Rayleigh is reminiscent of when Luffy first met Zoro.

EVEN if Luffy or any other entity does not label Zoro as a first mate, does it really matter? After all Zoro has taken the responsibility of acting as a second in command. So even without the title he still takes on the role.
    By that logic, I guess we can assume that Nami can be considered the first mate because she usually whips the crew into shape whenever it's necessary.
    It doesn't need to be implied, because there have been other crews in the manga with legitimate first mates.
    It is possible to assume that Zoro can have more than one role on the crew, the same way Usopp took on a temporary role as a inventor/carpenter while also being a sniper. But it's still just assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by DynoStretch View Post
    Ah, so if we include Jimbei, that means they only got one more member to go. I know I mentioned it before, but I feel a Logia user would be ideal for that final position. While I know Logia isn't an invincible power since the New World is full of potential Haki users, the versatility of the Logia would separate them from the rest of the team. I'm just not too sure exactly what kind of Logia they would gain. Most of the really neat ones have already been taken by other characters, and/or there's a Strawhat who can use that element with their own talents (i.e. Nami's lightning control, Brook's ice sword, Sanji's blaze kick, etc).

So assuming the final member is a Logia user, what element do you guys think would round out the team? Try to avoid elements the Strawhats already use in their own attacks.
    Nami's weather can already control quite a few elements (wind, rain, lightning, not to mention some of the less frequently used elements like bubbles etc). Then we have Brook's soul ice and Sanji's Diablo Jambe taking care of ice and fire. We know that there isnt going to be a water DF (i think Oda said that somewhere cus it would be too powerful). So this leaves Earth elements, I can't think of many earth elements that would make coherent sense as logias.. (i have my reservations about swamp-swamp caribou) since earth would probably be more solid than fluid and at some point if u try to make earth elements logias, they are just too similar (ie if say mud would be a logia, how would that be different from A. Croc's sand logia just wet?[meaning he can be hit] or B. caribou's swamp?)

Quote Originally Posted by ibrahim2712 View Post
    There really shouldn't be another Devil Fruit user in the Straw Hats because they already have too much. It becomes a problem if they fall into the water.
    Well, if we assume Jinbe is in the crew, we can safely assume a fishman as powerful as him would be able to handle himself underwater and fish the DFs out of the water. Besides the Fishman arcs (Arlong and FI arcs) I can't think of many enemies that were a major threat underwater

It's strange with Straw Hats. Whenever in battle or in dangerous situation through act of enemy forces, Zoro seems to take the lead in Luffy's absense.
    Yet in all other matters, Nami is second-in-charge.

It's like Zoro and Nami splits the duty of a first mate depending on the situation they're more adept at, lol.

Nami kinda reminds me of a quartermaster in a way

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BEARDBOCK View Post
    Back in Sabaody, Urouge Said that Zoro is the first mate. http://www.mangareader.net/103-2606-...apter-499.html
    It's a mistranslation.

Urouge said Zoro's a No.2 of his crew(he might ranked it base on the bounty or whatever). Urouge didn't use the word "First Mate" '@'

Quote Originally Posted by Darker View Post
    It's a mistranslation.

Urouge said Zoro's a No.2 of his crew(he might ranked it base on the bounty or whatever). Urouge didn't use the word "First Mate" '@'
    How do you know its a mistranslation? Unless you speak Japanese...

Spoiler:

I myself can't, but I have a close friend who can read Japanese.

In addition, my country's publisher translated version of that page also indicated the same thing like I stated above.

Urouge said some thing like "Zoro is a second / No.2"; he didn't use the word First Mate or Vice Captain.

That's all info I want to tell~

(Gonna pull a Strelok here)

Zoro is the first mate. You shouldn't need unnecessary confirmation for something so obvious.

Zoro acted like a First Mate of the SHs, it's the thing I won't disagree~

But he's not an officially one. At least not yet. Or else he would be labelled as First Mate by Oda long time ago.

Why is it so hard to understand - -

Quote Originally Posted by zeff redleg View Post
    jinbe the helmsman
    Couldn't stop laughing at this, thank you. Everyone is talking about recycled arguments for whoever and you just burst in with that line. Priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aohige
    It's strange with Straw Hats. Whenever in battle or in dangerous situation through act of enemy forces, Zoro seems to take the lead in Luffy's absense.
    Yet in all other matters, Nami is second-in-charge.

It's like Zoro and Nami splits the duty of a first mate depending on the situation they're more adept at, lol.

Exactly my thoughts. I think it's interesting how Oda uses Zoro and Nami as a symbol for the Straw Hat's when Luffy is absent
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

And it makes perfect sense. Nami could never fulfill the first mate role due to her weakness, while Zoro lacks the coordination to lead anyone. Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by ibrahim2712 View Post
    How do you know its a mistranslation? Unless you speak Japanese...

I do, and it's a mistranslation. Happy?

Closed Thread

Thread Information