Closed Thread
Page 1131 of 1301 FirstFirst ... 131 631 1031 1081 1121 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1141 1181 1231 ... LastLast
Results 22,601 to 22,620 of 26009

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    About all of Dofla's crew, not just Monet. Just like the Baroque Works cover story. Which didn't come immediately after Alabasta and had a couple others before it. Or the Wapol cover story. Or the CP9... or Buggy...
    How many of them got caught again ?

And I feel like Oda is trying to make more useful mini-stories now. I mean, I don't really feel like watching the Dolfamingo family opening a park, being hunted by the navy or doing other goofy stuff while the last mini-stories were about Jinbei's journey to Bigmom's territory, and Luffy's grand fleet.
    imo, it has to be something that's gonna connect with the story soon enough. And I don't believe we'll see the Dofla family before a long moment.

Honestly, among all these mini-stories the one about Buggy and the CP9 were useless. Funny and enjoyable, but useless plotwise (didn't connect to anything). I think Buggy was sent to jail, but that's all.
    At best, the one about Baroque Works just got rid off some characters. I mean, I don't think we'll ever see anyone from this group except Mr.0, 1, 2 and 3. The point of this mini-story was basically to retire some characters from the story like Miss Goldenweek and the others.
    And Wapol's mini-story is only starting to be useful now that there is the Reverie. Not sure if it was intended.

At least that's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    and we would have wondered what Django and Fullbody were doing in Alabasta as marines under Hina.
    Oh, you mean like in the anime? Which skipped that cover story entirely? And basically all the others? But still had their consequences later?

Oda gives follow up on characters. Look at the "news of the world" set, which did nothing except show us what happened to all the minor characters over the last 2 years, even if they're going to have zero relevance for the rest of the series.

Even if they're not plot important, Oda likes giving characters a chance to have a new life or a happy ending.

Do we really need an entire mini-story whose only purpose is to tell us Bon Kurei is alive?
    When I say mini-story I mean all the panels gathered. Bentham was only in one of them

Oh, you mean like in the anime? Which skipped that cover story entirely? And basically all the others? But still had their consequences later?
    The anime sucks, and constantly makes plot holes, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

Purely coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    How many of them got caught again ?

And I feel like Oda is trying to make more useful mini-stories now.
    Yes, like when we spent almost a year with Caribou meeting a granny.

Or the cover story where we checked in on all the minor characters. Or the second cover story where we checked in on most of them again like a year later. We really needed to know Gaimon had a girlfriend and that Southbird has a family now and that Mr. 9 and Miss MOnday hooked up.

The anime sucks, and constantly makes plot holes, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.
    Because you brought up specific example of something the anime actually did.

It skipped the backstory on those minor background characters and just threw them back into the story later with no explanation of how they got there. And it does that a lot.

Oda does side stories with minor characters. He also brings back minor characters in unexpected ways sometimes. The cover stories aren't essential background that he's obligated to do in order for things to make sense, but he does them anyway. (Ditto with DBS filling out details that he then later actually shows in-story like Buggy's hair)

The question is less "would it make sense to show those characters after skipping the cover story"... because that's what the anime did.

The question is "would Oda have put those characters there if he hadn't thought about their situation while doing the cover story in the first place."
    Last edited by Robby; March 24th, 2018 at 03:35 PM.

Yes, like when we spent almost a year with Caribou meeting a granny.
    Dude, Caribou got caught by Kaido's men and you know---- Caribou knows what and who is Poseidon. It's not like I'd said every covers in the mini-story had to be 100% useful, relevant and rigorous.

Or the cover story where we checked in on all the minor characters. Or the second cover story where we checked in on most of them. We really needed to know Gaimon had a girlfriend and that Southbird having a family now.
    It's unfair to cite covers from "The Decks of the World" though. And you're only bringing up the two covers featuring very very minor characters for some reason. We didn't spend weeks following Gaimon's love story after all.

And it happened during the FishmanIsland arc. What was Oda supposed to talk about ?
    Last edited by Nilitch; March 24th, 2018 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by No swords style best style View Post
    Well, we really didn't get one for how Bentham escaped Magellan either. He just showed up later in the cover story. Which means that Pound is certainly still alive, even if all logic points to the opposite.
    At least we learned blackbeard escaped and overpowered magellans so a headcanon of him getting away due to that wouldnt be too far of a stretch.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Jinbe refusing Big Mom's roulette definitely added another layer of depth to his character. Many didn't expect a reasonable reaction from him after all the "even if it costs me my life" nonsense. Giving up something valuable in order to break off from BM [honorably] would have been absolutely in character, but we learned that even Jinbe draws a line somewhere. Or better said, he learned to draw a line after his travels with Luffy.
    Not really since he always knew to distinguish between the value of sacrificing himself and the value he has as a person otherwise.
    He tried the honorable thing, she was not interested in keeping it honorable.

And you can´t hardly classify that as something he took from Luffy neither, there is no indication for this.

All that the scene showed us is, he has a head of his own and does not immediately go to "my sacrifice will solve everything", something we knew before, and that he knew how special Luffy is, hence he did not need to be scared from a mere Yonkou, which once again is consistent with him constantly believing Luffy to be that special even pre-TS.

There were very few people who thought that Rebecca or Hancock would join. There will always be small pockets of people who think that any new character will join. Carrot is on a completely different level than those two being the only one even in the running and with a whole lot of time spent working on the ship.
    Hancock was a popular candidate.
    She was just behind Jinbe in this poll.
    http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=28386

Rebecca was no way near Hancock's popularity but she had a fair amount of discussion (even after the fact that she was hopeless in fights).

Kinemon, Momo & Law have been with the strawhat crews since Punk Hazard arc.
    Kanjuro also has been with them since Dressrosa arc.
    All of them are going to presence in Wano arc.
    None of them are joining the crew.
    Spending time on the ship is not really an indicator of joining the crew.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBlue View Post
    Worth noting that poll at one point had complete joke candidates, like Aikanu, who I voted for out of sheer spite of the nonsense spiraling around. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Not really since he always knew to distinguish between the value of sacrificing himself and the value he has as a person otherwise.
    He used to place zero value on his own well being. Maybe you took his recent reasonable stance for granted, alright, but it for sure as hell wasn't obvious. Oda used his decision as a cliffhanger reaching over several chapters, the readers had no idea how he would act in front of a roulette asking for his bodyparts (or worse). Especially since it also involved the Fishman Pirates, even if they tried to talk him out of any responsibility.

And you can´t hardly classify that as something he took from Luffy neither, there is no indication for this.
    I'm not saying that Luffy taught him a lesson to value his life, I'm saying that Luffy is the reason why he doesn't intend to throw it away carelessly anymore - even when his sacrifice could prevent harm from his closest relatives.

All that the scene showed us is, he has a head of his own and does not immediately go to "my sacrifice will solve everything", something we knew before, and that he knew how special Luffy is, hence he did not need to be scared from a mere Yonkou, which once again is consistent with him constantly believing Luffy to be that special even pre-TS.
    "My sacrifice will solve everything" was not something we knew before, because that was never his attitude to begin with. Jinbe was all about throwing his life away, even if his sacrifice would likely lead to nothing. His life had no value to him, it appeared as if he was just waiting for a moment to make it at least worth something.

And with Totland this mindset is now officially gone.
    Jinbe went from:

"If playing the roulette means my old crew could be spared, so be it"

to:

"Eh, fuck this shit im not playing a likely rigged wheel of death, I'm going to be a member of the future pirate King"
    Last edited by Jabra; March 24th, 2018 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBlue View Post

Rebecca was no way near Hancock's popularity but she had a fair amount of discussion (even after the fact that she was hopeless in fights).
    Hancock is 3rd place out of 4 options. That's not particularly inspiring.

Also I laughed at this line I found in that thread: "I'm not too big on Jimbei joining due to his lack and any flare." Funny how history repeats itself...

Kinemon, Momo & Law have been with the strawhat crews since Punk Hazard arc.
    Kanjuro also has been with them since Dressrosa arc.
    All of them are going to presence in Wano arc.
    None of them are joining the crew.
    Spending time on the ship is not really an indicator of joining the crew.
    "Working" was the key word you were supposed to read in that sentence. Those people were just along for the ride, Carrot is an active member of the ship's crew at this moment, not a passenger.

Purely coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy 9000 View Post
    She doesn't specialize in it any more than anybody else that has done the job, though. She hasn't brought anything new to the role of lookout that other characters are not capable of. "Jumping high" doesn't fill in that gap. A situation needs to exist where the character is the best at the job.

Just something along the lines of "she's so good at what she does." A comment from someone, a true depiction that her lookout skills surpass all others, anything.
    They knew nothing about Robin when she joined; Usopp had to interview her. Brook didn‘t get to play any music until after the battle on TB was over. And Jinbe only showed off his true helmsmanship skills 20 chapters ago.

"She's so good at saving us from certain death." That's basically what they already told her.

The role of shipwright and the role of lookout on a ship are very different, though. One is a dedicated role that has the person most experienced performing maintenance on the ship. The other is a job that multiple others have done perfectly for the entire series, with no issues existing for the crew otherwise.
    Yeah, kinda like there were no issues with Franky steering the ship.

Usopp was fine at the time for patching up the Merry, but he wasn't anywhere close to the best possible person for the job. I've always imagined that if the crew had Franky from the start, the Going Merry could've made it further than Water 7, because he would've done proper ship repairs instead of just boarding it up.
    And when they've been leisurely sailing the comparatively calmer East Blue and Grand Line, they didn't need to worry about their lookout getting up and down the mast in a hurry. But the speed and power of Big Mom's fleet has proven they need more expertise from now on. Just like they needed a proper shipwright and ship to seriously continue their journey into more dangerous turf, they now need a proper helmsman who can firmly guide the ship, and they need a proper lookout who can spot danger and then rush down to help defend against it.

I have no doubt that we will primarily see Jinbe steering the ship from here on out. Usopp is still "capable" of patching up the ship, but we're only ever shown Franky taking care of stuff like that. Nami can cook, but Sanji is most experienced, and it's why he takes care of it on screen 99% of the time.
    And I have no doubt that we will primarily see Carrot up on the mast, or anywhere else she is needed, from here on out.

If the entire crew is still rotating in to take over the lookout role, then what's the point of bringing on a member that so far, has no real special ability in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    And we are asking how does Carrot have that special capability? I already conceded that the cycle of night and day is a good reason in terms of being a lookout on a ship.

Jumping, not so much.
    To answer both of you, jumping half a mile high at any given moment is a special ability, despite how much you seek to downplay it. She doesn‘t have to keep hopping to stay airborne like Sanji, she doesn‘t need to call out a trampoline like Usopp, she doesn‘t have to hoist herself up with momentum like Luffy. All she has to do is jump, and she can be anywhere on the ship in seconds. That saves panel time, that is a literary shortcut that is available to Oda, and he has already taken advantage of it.

- Carrot is not going to be continuously jumping to gain height advantage as they travel at sea.
    What makes you so sure?

- Jumping higher may improve how far you can see, but does not improve how detailed your expanded view is.
    Which is what the binoculars are for. Even Usopp with his oh-so-perfect eyesight used binoculars in chapter 222:
    Spoiler:

- Is it really special if jumping high gives you a 2-5 second gain on how fast you get to the crow's nest?
    Yes, because they needed those literal seconds this whole escape. When they had more time, Chopper and Brook clambered up and helped out, but she has always been the first and the quickest one up there.

But her being able to quickly get to the crow's nest did not help in avoiding the canon fire.
    She was taking a moment to welcome back Luffy like everyone else. Once the cannons started firing she was right back in position. That is what makes her special: her ability to be anywhere as needed, no explaining required.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Usopp had been constantly upgrading his googles throughout the series and his eyesight got a observation haki boost in Dresserossa. We've already seen his fated BB opponent shoot a bird from an island away, and seen Usopp doing similar feats starting in Enies Lobby when he upgraded to the sogeking mask.

That's where his eyesight is now, not 700 chapters ago.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Hey look, you can see Nami's tatoo and bracelets, and Zoro's three earings and sword and buzz cut in that casual normal shot. Those little details that show Oda put thought into their designs.

Hey look, you can see Nami's tatoo and bracelets, and Zoro's three earings and sword and buzz cut in that casual normal shot. Those little details that show Oda put thought into their designs.
    Carrot has a more distinctive design than Robin. Robin is just a normal woman with a slightly pronounced nose. Carrot has a big poofy tail and huge expressive ears that you can clearly see when she's far away (what an interesting story-telling tool to have for a character who works on top of the mast).
    Last edited by AvocadoInTheRain; March 24th, 2018 at 11:21 PM.

Purely coincidence

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Carrot has a more distinctive design than Robin. Robin is just a normal woman with a slightly pronounced nose. Carrot has a big poofy tail and huge expressive ears that you can clearly see when she's all the way up the mast (what an interesting story-telling tool for a character who works on top of the mast).
    So we're going down this rabbit hole again.

Robin stands out at the time she was introduced (Alabasta saga) because of her differently drawn nose and eyes, as well as her hair, cowgirl attire, and Devil Fruit powers. Those first two physical attributes sound very minor, sure. But it stands out because of Oda's standards when it comes to drawing women specifically. He flip-flops on having them look as "repulsive" as possible or a repetitive idealized form of beauty. The latter recurrently being modeled after Nami for characters like Makino, Nojiko, Vivi, Miss Valentine's Day, Fullbody's Baratie date, Tashigi, etc. So in comparison to all of them, Robin is clearly different. Thus showing that Oda cared about making this new crewmate standout, even among his low standards for designing women. After years of looking at Nami faces for "pretty women", Robin immediately catches your eye when her face gets a close-up in the panel when she is introduced, even if you aren't keen enough to realize why.

You're using the fallacious "non-human species are automatically more creative to design than human characters", which is not true. Especially at this point in the series. Carrot has a big poofy tail? So do the Tontattas and several Minks. If I never read One Piece and were to compare One Piece characters with other series on Google Images, would I mistake Usopp, Sanji, or Franky for any other character? Or would I confuse Carrot with Lola Bunny from The Looney Tunes or any cartoon/comic in history that has featured a rabbit in a humanoid anthropomorphic animal cast? I would think the latter.

Compare Carrot to the other Minks and there is nothing specific making her standout from the rest of them. They all have the exact same formula of "fuse furry animal species with basic human features". And not only does she have the same type of mouth Chopper has, but also blonde hair like Sanji. Blonde hair is one of Sanji's signature visual indicators aside from his suit, cigarettes, kicks, and swirly eyebrows.

And huge expressive ears? The way her ears are drawn is the most generic way to execute a talking rabbit character. Not anything clever like giving Chopper a blue nose to reference Rudolph but still look unique, or having one broken artificially attached antler, or wearing a pink top hat with an X on it. Oda hasn't animated her ears in any quirky ways either, which he easily could have. Even something as simple as having one ear always droop down like dogs often do would have gone miles in showing actual creative effort put into her design.

I would like to think that the man who came up with three-chinned light blue-pompadour wearing Ace Ventura cyborg gang boss shipwright with Popeye arms tattoo'd with blue stars can come up with something more unique than a rabbit girl's ears as a visual indicator.
    Last edited by Count Mario; March 27th, 2018 at 08:08 AM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Usopp had been constantly upgrading his googles throughout the series and his eyesight got a observation haki boost in Dresserossa. We've already seen his fated BB opponent shoot a bird from an island away, and seen Usopp doing similar feats starting in Enies Lobby when he upgraded to the sogeking mask.

That's where his eyesight is now, not 700 chapters ago.
    That was not due to his eyesight. He needed Viola's far-reaching sight powers to make the proper calculations and to plan his trajectory. He has the eyes he's always had: accurate, but not far-reaching. And his still uses goggles, to boot. His Color of Observation helped him focus, but even that wouldn't have helped him with making the shot if he hadn't planned it all in his head first.

It's not just about who can see the furthest or the most accurately. Equally important is the ability to relay that info quickly and act on it just as fast. Usopp could be up there calling all the shots and shooting his slingshot, but he's most useful accurately aiming the cannon. Carrot is fully capable of being up there and back down to fight at any time.

I think we both realize, I will never convince you to appreciate Carrot's design. You don't like it, you don't think it's unique enough. That's fine. We must, as before, agree to disagree. So, I'll just go ahead and enjoy Carrot's bland, boring design in full color on the new volume cover while also appreciating the wholly unique design of Pudding as presented in beautiful piss yellow.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I would like to think that the man who came up with three-chinned light blue-pompadour wearing Ace Ventura cyborg gang boss with Popeye arms wearing star tattoos can come up with something more unique than a rabbit girl's ears as a visual indicator.
    Also he was wearing a speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    But it stands out because of Oda's standards when it comes to drawing women specifically. He flip-flops on having them look as "repulsive" as possible or a repetitive idealized form of beauty. The latter recurrently being modeled after Nami for characters like Makino, Nojiko, Vivi, Miss Valentine's Day, Fullbody's Baratie date, Tashigi, etc. So in comparison to all of them, Robin is clearly different. Thus showing that Oda cared about making this new crewmate standout, even among his low standards for designing women. After years of looking at Nami faces for "pretty women", Robin immediately catches your eye when her face gets a close-up in the panel when she is introduced, even if you aren't keen enough to realize why.
    Yes, you're right, Robin is completely unique as far as Oda's character designs go...

Hidden:

If I never read One Piece and were to compare One Piece characters with other series on Google Images, would I mistake Usopp, Sanji, or Franky for any other character? Or would I confuse Carrot with Lola Bunny from The Looney Tunes or any cartoon/comic in history that has featured a rabbit in a humanoid anthropomorphic animal cast? I would think the latter.
    You have to go outside of the series in order to find another character that looks like Carrot, but I easily found two that look like Robin inside of One Piece itself. Also, don't compare Carrot to the male characters, we both know how Oda has problems coming up with different female designs. Compare her to Nami and Robin.

And not only does she have the same type of mouth Chopper has, but also blonde hair like Sanji. Blonde hair is one of Sanji's signature visual indicators aside from his suit, cigarettes, kicks, and swirly eyebrows.
    If the crew can survive Luffy, Robin, and Brook having black hair, I'm sure it can survive having two blondes. Especially in a primarily black and white medium.

Purely coincidence

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Yes, you're right, Robin is completely unique as far as Oda's character designs go...

You have to go outside of the series in order to find another character that looks like Carrot, but I easily found two that look like Robin inside of One Piece itself. Also, don't compare Carrot to the male characters, we both know how Oda has problems coming up with different female designs. Compare her to Nami and Robin.

If the crew can survive Luffy, Robin, and Brook having black hair, I'm sure it can survive having two blondes. Especially in a primarily black and white medium.
    I love how you try to refute me with three images all coming over a decade after Robin's introduction to the story. Robby, myself, and others have frequently pointed out Oda copying pasting Nami/Robin faces and hourglass figures throughout the series. But the originators of those physical traits are still Nami and Robin, who stood out a lot when they were introduced. Carrot does not because she does not visually distinguish herself from the Minks aside from being a rabbit, just like how every other Mink is a different animal species.

Black hair is the base neutral color for the Straw Hats with Luffy, Usopp, Robin, and Jinbe. Every other color outside of that is unique and not repeated. Zoro has green hair. Nami has orange hair. Sanji has blonde hair. Chopper has brown fur. Franky has light-blue hair.

Oda clearly puts thought into giving the Straw Hats unique visual features. If he has repeated a monochrome color four times for hair, one of the most distinguished features a character can have, but only uses every other color once, why would he rather repeat one of Sanji's most unique traits rather than add another black or insert some white/grey, purple, or pink hair? He has been planning this cast ahead of time for twenty years, he can't be this lazy.

And yes, I will compare Carrot to the male characters when it comes to hair because that is at least the one area where Oda lets girls stand out in that too.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Closed Thread

Thread Information