+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben's Animated Avatars

Default Ben's Animated Avatars

I've been playing around with GIMP lately, learning how to make all sorts of fun and interesting images and animated GIFs. Many of my avatars of late have been prime examples of my dabbling in the digital imaging arts. Some of them I am quite fond of, and many of you have given me good feedback. Because I've put significant effort into a few of them, I thought that it'd be a waste to keep them all to myself.

In this thread, you'll find copies of many of the animated avatars that I have made in the past. I'll update it as I make others that I think are good. Please feel free to use them as you like!

And if you have any suggestions or requests, please feel free to drop them here (or just send me a PM) and I'll see what I can do.

edit: I'm updating the GIFs with linked BBCode so that their animation doesn't lag as I add more and more to the first post. They're links, so just click what you see and you'll be taken to the original GIF. Enjoy!

Space Dandy
    Spoiler:

Not a GIF or an avatar, but pretty dandy anyway:
    Spoiler:

Super Mario (and a Samurai Jack crossover)
    Spoiler:

Chrono Trigger (these look best on a dark background, try the CP9 theme)
    Spoiler:

I get nearly all of the sprites that I use from Spriters-Resource. Many thanks to A.J. Nitro for the Super Mario Bros. rips, to CRAPCOM and Nitratez for the Super Mario Bros. 3 rips, and also to Ryan914, Toadkarter, and Tonberry2k for the Chrono Trigger ones. You guys rock!
    Last edited by benjamminbrown; September 2nd, 2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Pixels are back in, apparently.

i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar

Default Re: Ben's Animated Avatars

wow. thats awsome.

i want to make pics like that.

NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

Thanks, playa'! I've got a couple Mario and Space Dandy ones that I will post soon.

Mario ones? Great!

Curious to see what you make. :D

I must admit I had taken notice of your recent avatars and thought they were really well done. Same for the ones posted here. It's clear you enjoy making them and put a lot of effort into making them as good as you can.

Keep up the awesome work Ben. :)
    Steam Profile: Sorikai33 | 3DS Friend Code: 2981 6418 0894
    ^Feel free to add me on either^

Sig art by Stjepan Sejic

Thanks, Sorikai! I always enjoy your AV/Sig combos, though I don't always know what games they are from.

I've updated the first post with a couple Mario avatars, Meta.

By the 7 Sons of Pwngoat! *Meh*'s Avatar

Very nice work on the Samario Jack! I also like the Ayla and Crono avatars;really great work.
    I'm like Hisotensoku: Not here to preserve peace, nor to destroy it. I certainly can't move mountains. Mostly, I'm just full of hot air.
    - *Meh*

Thanks~~~! The Ayla (& Lavos ) one is my personal favorite of the bunch.

I just updated the first post to include Marle in the CT section. I may add other NPCs that I like if I am interested, I'm open to suggestions!

Your avatars look great!

Interesting to hear about your GIF making hobby, can't wait to see more.

Thanks, Ordinary! I appreciate the encouraging words.

I first started messing around in GIMP back when I took a photography class in college. The program can be a little intimidating at first, but you quickly pick up on some of the tricks. There's a huge community that uses GIMP, so it was pretty easy to find lots of help documentation online.

I only started trying animations recently when attempting my own GIF avvies, though. I am having a lot of fun with it!

I also made a couple posts in the help forum about how to animate your own avatar earlier this year. I have learned a lot since then, so I may try to move/copy those posts over here and revise the instructions a little if people are interested.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Space Dandy is still incoming, I need to find where I put those GIFs.

Love them, keep it up Ben :D

Muchas gracias, Devil-san. I will definitely keep it up!

So, I found those Dandy GIFs. First post has been updated, and I made an Ozzie (Vinegar) Chrono Trigger one, as well.

Thumbs up Re: Ben's Animated Avatars

So you've finally opened up your own Avatar thread, huh? Excellent idea Benjammin!

Wanted to give you a friendly shout-out on your New thread, as thanks & appreciation for modifying my current avatar for me!

Kudos to you man and keep going!

Novel I'm working on: The Dutchman
    Chapters Completed: 1!!
    Twitch / Blogspot

Well, shucks, it was no trouble at all! Thanks for the shout out, Rogue :)

Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    I've updated the first post with a couple Mario avatars, Meta.
    Ah yes, those nifty looking ones you've sported recently!

Your avatars look great by the way, especially because they move so fluidly and slowly, they don't freeze up from time to time. Mine has done that sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Ah yes, those nifty looking ones you've sported recently!

Your avatars look great by the way, especially because they move so fluidly and slowly, they don't freeze up from time to time. Mine has done that sometimes.
    Yeah, I haven't made any new Mario ones yet, was thinking of working with Super Mario World or maybe Mario Bros. 3 for the next one (terribly partial to the raccoon power). You'll be the first to know once I've put something together, let me know if you have any suggestions in the meantime.

Thanks for noticing the fluidity - I try my best to keep that up as much as possible, though I am not always successful. Even some of these are a little jumpier than I'd prefer.

I think your current one looks great!

I made a Raccoon Mario AV! Haven't decided yet whether I want to add a scrolling or static sky background, so I'm leaving it transparent for now.

Check the first post for updates~

Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    I think your current one looks great!
    Well thanks, I've had it for a long time now, although I'm partially looking for a new one.

Good ol' Raccoon Mario. What a cool power.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Well thanks, I've had it for a long time now, although I'm partially looking for a new one.
    I'd be happy to help make you something, PM with details if you're interested!

Do you have a favorite Mario game, Meta? Mariokart would be a lot of fun to work with, I think. I've only been dealing with old games, so those AVs look pretty pixelated, but it might be fun to try something more modern.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information