+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Video game music

Default Re: Video game music

One of my favorites, from a game of Capcom...
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Peter McConnell In general is my favorite soundtrack composer. He makes some of the few soundtracks I actually listen to outside of the video game.

Speaking of that, how about a discussion. Do you feel that video game music is worth listening to outside of video games? For me, it takes a particularly great soundtrack to warrant outside listening. Most great BGM does best as just that in my mind. They're sort of a symbiotic pair in my mind. The music is a part of the game and the game is a part of the music. To separate them means to ignore the context of each. I feel strongly that context is important for music in general and video games strongly root their sounds within their schemes. For example, think of Skies of Arcadia and the boss battles. The fights have great dynamic music that changes depending on the state of the battle, but consequently does not work at all outside of the game. Does video game music stand out as much outside the game for you as in?
    For me, there is absolutely no question that I can fully appreciate VGM outside of the VGs; but thats because I only keep music from games I like. The music itself cannot cut it, even if good, because to me it's a completely synergistic relationship: While I'm playing, good gameplay moments can be enforced by awesome music, and when listening to the music by itself, it goes straight for my Gaming Memories filing cabinet and serves up a treat.

When I listen to the Shadow of the Colossus OST, I'm not just listening to excellent instrumental music, I'm also reliving the thrill of climbing up a giant stone monster and stabbing it to death. 16 bit versions of Vampire Killer from Castlevania sounds like a joke to everyone else, but to me it makes memories of daring leaps across collapsing bridges, and being chased by undead behemoths, flash by. Incidentally, if the track had only been featured in the metroidvania games I wouldn't have liked it even half as much, as I'd have no specific gaming memories assigned to it.

Listening to the music of my favourite games is the next best thing to playing them again, and I only need to hear the opening theme of Grandia to have, in a single instant, the joy of an epic 50 hour adventure hit me once again.

Incidentally, the Theme of Grandia -and Grana Saber from the sequel - rocks something fierce.
    Spoiler:

Goddamit, now I want to play the whole damn thing again...

Pure, haunting mystique.

Hidden:

When I was younger, my dad, my uncle and I would play Uru: Ages Beyond Myst together. It's a single player game, but having three people work together to solve the puzzles was actually a lot of fun. I may return to the game (and the other Myst games) on my own sometime. But until then, I'll enjoy the awesome music.
    Steam Profile: Sorikai33 | 3DS Friend Code: 2981 6418 0894
    ^Feel free to add me on either^

Sig art by Stjepan Sejic

I'm propably the only one on this forum who've played these games, but Fuck it. I love alpine flutes, I love these games more than any others, and these tracks are grafted into my very soul.

Spoiler:

Why wont you make a third one Namco

WHYYYYYYY

Putting more Tomohito Nishiura in the thread. Dark Cloud Boss Battle Themes:

Dran - "The Djinni Dran"
    Hidden:

Master Utan - "The Guardians of the Forest"
    Hidden:

La Saia - "Ice Queen"
    Hidden:

King's Curse - "The King's Curse"
    Hidden:

Minotaur Joe - "The Rowdy"
    Hidden:

The Dark Genie - "Last Battle"
    Hidden:

Bonus post-game boss: Black Knight Pendragon
    Hidden:
    Steam Profile: Sorikai33 | 3DS Friend Code: 2981 6418 0894
    ^Feel free to add me on either^

Sig art by Stjepan Sejic

Since were talking about VG musics lets not forget Guilty Gear:
    Sol Badguy
    Spoiler:

Ky Kiske
    Spoiler:

Dr.Baldhead
    Spoiler:

Chipp Zanuff
    Spoiler:

"Still in the dark"
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by The Daz View Post
    I'm propably the only one on this forum who've played these games, but Fuck it. I love alpine flutes, I love these games more than any others, and these tracks are grafted into my very soul.

Spoiler:

Why wont you make a third one Namco

WHYYYYYYY
    You're definitely not alone, the first Klonoa is one of my favourite PS1 games.

To continue on topic, I absolutely adore Eternal Sonata's soundtrack.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by MagiciteKefka View Post

Spoiler:
    That piece is really awesome, I made a friend of mine learn it on the piano which makes it sound more energic.
    I would also say that the superb soundtrack carried the game for me.

Did Nintendo ever release an official OST like a compilation for various series? I have a way old one that was a Live Smash Bros concert one but never ever saw anything for Brawl or anything
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

Quote Originally Posted by The Daz View Post
    Definitely echoing the favorite PS1 games sentiment. Klonoa managed to balance a cutesy atmosphere with some surprisingly dark and tragic moments. The game was freaking amazing and so was its soundtrack. For real.
    It nailed both cartoonish whimsy AND cry-your-heart-out sorrow. Some of my favorite tracks:

Klonoa
    Untamed Heart:
    Spoiler:

For the Time We've Spent:
    Spoiler:

Klonoa 2
    Shattered Past:
    Spoiler:

Going to Lunatea:
    Spoiler:

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Robin View Post
    Did Nintendo ever release an official OST like a compilation for various series? I have a way old one that was a Live Smash Bros concert one but never ever saw anything for Brawl or anything
    Nintendo for whatever reason only infrequently releases official OSTs of anything they self publish, something that is changing only lately. At least in the US.
    They're even less likely to do orchestral, remix, and arrange albums, somewhat notoriously.

Unfortunately for them companies like Capcom, Konami, Namco, and especially Square Enix far outpace them in that respect. These companies are much better about releasing albums based on their games' work.
    Square Enix itself is releasing no less than TWENTY THREE albums this year alone, thirteen of which are remix albums.
    Nier, a fairly unsuccessful cult hit from 2010, but was critically acclaimed for what was one of the BEST game soundtracks ever, has already had four dedicated arrange albums and a drama CD released in the two years since the game came out. And Square actually follows up on fan requests for albums, some of which have directly resulted in new project lines.
    Whatever else you want to say about them - Square respects its music.

I sorta wish Nintendo was the same. Not that I'm throwing stones or anything.
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

When fighting death get's it's own boss music, well, you know you're getting something special.
    Spoiler:

it's really feking hot here, that's for sure

Did someone say OoT?

Not gonna lie, I consider Forest Temple to be a weak song.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    That song gives me such a nostalgia rush. :]

Sadly, Sakuraba is kinda the cookie cutter composer, where most of his music sounds exactly alike after a while, which is kinda bound to happen when he has to create so many huge soundtracks. Sadly this led to the kinda deserved nickname of Suckuraba. The bad outweights the good. Best work is prolly Baten Kaitos, both of them. Guy can create some wicked battle themes though

Tales of the Abyss
    Spoiler:

Tales of Symphonia
    Spoiler:
    (Suckuraba? Deserved nickname? I never heard this one before. It sounds so obscure)

I don't know. I don't think his work stands out at all in Tales games, especially the ones after Phantasia. I mean, they could be good to the fans that play thier games but as a follower and fan of his works, I don't think he uses his style to full potential in them. One reason being the huge amount of Tales games Namco tends to milk out. His tracks in those games never felt... "good" to me in those games. They are usually "safe" in realm of typical fantasy JPRG music.

I never played BK, but from what I heard it does sound like his more better works. If I'm going to chose some personal favorites, I like his tracks in Star Ocean games, his Infinite Undiscovery track (it's amazing), and I also like his attempts to completely change his style to something orchestral like some tracks in Valkyrie Profile 2, and the entirety of Dark Souls. He's certainly a unique composer, even though he tends to recycle at times. Which should not be much of a surprise.

If it's any track that I can consider his absolute best work, it's Valkyrie Profile. There just a load of variety in there and it works only for this game and nothing else.

Edit: I just listened to those tracks. Yeah... If you think those are wiked battle themes, then you and me have different ideas to what "wicked" is. But, if I'm going to throw some overeatted examples Sakuraba fans tend to like... I'll throw in these.

Hidden:

I hate this track, but guitarist enthusiast tend to love this one. I guess I could respect that.

I like this one a little better than Divine Spirit of Language, but no... Maybe I'm not a big fan of grinding electric guitars. It's another fan favorite.

I tend to lean towards his more progressive tracks that has a little hint of jazz. Like this one. I think it's one of my favorite longer tracks from him.

Hidden:

Last edited by Hiroy; July 2nd, 2012 at 06:18 PM.

I thought the forest temple was the best. It's certainly the most memorable for me. It's very neutral, lonely and haunting in a way that really punctuates the level.

Some pieces I remembered really enjoying in the context of games:

Hidden:

Speaking of atmospheric pieces, oh man does this one get me. More proof that Peter McConnell is a genius at the video game soundtrack thing. But man, when I first played Psychonauts, I was always a little freaked out to explore the camp grounds at night. Not because of the pyrokinetic panthers or lurking braintheiving lake monsters, but because this music made it so evidently clear that I did not want to be outside at night.

Hidden:

Perhaps this battle theme strikes a lot of standards in epic boss music, but I think that's what makes it such a good boss theme. It gives me the sort of thrill I get from the really good cheesy metal songs. It's not really saying anything different, but it says it with such conviction and energy that it drags you along for the ride.

Hidden:

Rayman Origins had one of my favorite original soundtracks in recent recollection. This piece, though (and really all of the water world music), stands out in particular. It's cartoony, upbeat and still gives a sense of depth and wonderment befitting of an ocean world in such a weird universe as Rayman's.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Going through the current page of this thread.

Spoiler:
    Wow. This one is amazing! I absolutely love it.
    It sounds exactly like 3 of my favorite tracks from Infinite Undiscovery(not a great game, but awesome soundtrack).
    Hidden:

Do you guys like the Rainbow Road?
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko135 View Post
    Kenji Ito Music
    Ohhhh man, I got the Romancing SaGa: MS soundtrack even though I've yet to play the game, and it's just brilliant. Those picks are some of my favorite tracks from that OST.

Kenji Ito is one of those composers who turns everything he touches into something special, no matter what medium he uses.
    It's one of my favorite things about him: he can do amazing things with a full orchestra, but is still capable of writing themed songs that make locations memorable and stick in your head.
    Like Michiru Yamane, he still writes songs that very much sound like "video game music," but can turn them on a dime into epic symphonic pieces that just get you hyped.

It's a bit unfortunate his talents for a long time have been spent on very unworthy games. ( Sorry SaGa series, I would love you a lot more if all of your games weren't half finished :I )
    So I'm glad the Square is giving him the opportunity to make some albums this year.

Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song
    Sewers: (the most unsewerlike theme I ever heard)
    Spoiler:

Seiken Densetsu 4: Dawn of Mana
    The Fool's Dance: (This one sounds a lot like your "Passionate Rhythm" haha)
    Spoiler:
    Dark Shrine:
    Spoiler:
    Old and Distant Memories:
    Spoiler:

But on the Dawn of Mana soundtrack he gave us a bunch of really wicked remixes of songs from all of the Mana games.
    Including Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret of Mana, SD3, and Legend of Mana.
    Including an especially awesome rendition of Irwin on Reflection:
    Spoiler:
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Do you guys like the Rainbow Road?
    Spoiler:
    Doesn't hold a candle to this.

Hidden:

One of the many reason I think SMG1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> SMG2

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information