+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan ventures into Animation

Default Re: Dan ventures into Animation

I'll be doing more master studies once I get back into my schedule. I just entered the character of the week over at conceptart, so all of my attention will probably,be focused on that.

Afterwords I would love to do more religious master studies.

Did a bit more on the Father. Weirdly enough, his face with the beard ended up making him look like Justin Coro Kaufman...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I started on my very first Character of the Week at Conceptart.org.
    The topic is New Hero. My entry will be an elf who while inside of a weapon shop buys the most unlikely of items to battle evil….a plunger.
    Right now I’m a bit too texture brush happy, so I need to tone that down a bit. Will be focusing on the rest of the background before I do more of the character outline.

Here's the thumbnail I'm working off of

Here’s what he’ll be wearing. The story is, he’s a new recruit for the Republic Guardsmen, and he’s going to purchase his first weapon. But he’s such a pretty-boy that he’s completely stupid and buys a Plunger instead. Clearly not fit for the job.
    Last edited by DartG; September 27th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Calling it finished. I tried my best on the hands. The only thing I can do is keep practicing and get better.

It looks like el coro and bobby from supernatural had a love child.
    Last edited by DartG; September 29th, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

The shadows around the jacket were bothering me, so I removed em.

Also got rid of his mustache, he reminded me way too damn much of Bobby from Supernatural.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I changed the layout a lot for the Character of the Week. Changed it so he's in a firey battlefield, with only a plunger as his weapon.
    Taking a LONG time on this one. It's due the 9th, so I've got a bunch of time to work on it.
    Last edited by DartG; October 10th, 2012 at 07:38 AM.

Went in and redone a lot of it. Slowly building up the armor realism then I'll start on the actual characters face.

Slowly building up the body armor rendering, adding a few things here and there.
    Just bought Guild Wars 2 and trying really hard not to spend most of my time playing it.
    Insane amount of inspiration from it though.
    The picture is due in a few days and I still have no clue what I'm going to do with the background.

I really want to start buying art books, starting with the Guild Wars series. Part 2 is only $25, but I can't find part 1 anywhere for under $60. The only other art books I have are a few animation ones, a signed Jim Lee book, and The Art of Bioshock 2.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Still gotta match the rest of the picture to the lighting on the face, or tone down the faces lighting to match the rest of the picture.
    Last edited by DartG; October 10th, 2012 at 07:39 AM.

more on the background. Gotta do a bunch of studies tomorrow before I go and do the tree any longer.
    Last edited by DartG; October 10th, 2012 at 07:39 AM.

Lookin Good!

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Getting close to the end. A few more hours and I'll be done. I'm not sure how long I've spent on this, maybe 8 or so hours?

Streaming after I get all these references ready to finish the above piece. Will also do a few anatomy studies and start on my weeks Master Study. This time probably being a Sergant piece. I'll also be starting on another character design.

I'll be doing these Character of the Weeks(CHOW) every time they have one setup, so I should get a ton of experience in this sort of deadline thing.

www.livestream.com/danialglover

Here's the progress of the Sergent study.
    Last edited by DartG; October 8th, 2012 at 06:47 AM.

Like the last post with the Sargent study. I'm starting to love painting with a soft round brush and erasing with a soft round brush.
    I wanna get this design done today. Will start streaming again later for more of the Sargent study. But all of my attention is on this little guy.

He's a bratty pouty Prince. Meant to show that he hasn't gotten his way.

And the details so far.

Highly inspired by how Miles and Sam paint their pieces.

Base colors done for clothing. Still need to add nicknacks and various things to make him look like Royalty.

Hand still sucks ass, gotta work on it.
    And the details 100%

To keep myself from getting bored with this guy, I started repainting an old character design. I'd like it to be updated so I can put it in my portfolio.

Here's how it was done...I think earlier this year or last year, can't remember.
    Found out I did it in September of 2010. Had no idea it was that old.

And that's how I started it now. just going to re-render a lot of it.

Spent about an hour more on the bust. Without saving. So one would easily get pissed off when photoshop decides to shit all over itself and crash. So I have to repaint an hours worth.

Details. Had a lot more, but photoshop likes to shit all over my dreams.
    Damn do I love days where I'm productive.
    Last edited by DartG; October 10th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.

Photoshop is acting terrible. It's causing me to save every few seconds because I'm afraid of losing any progress. It's crashed twice after I've done loads of work. Right when I use the color picker it just closes. So I'll be using the color sliders for now on.

Anyways, ended up watching Proko's new video tutorials on the human eye. I'll start building eyes based on actual realism instead of the simplified ones I used.

And the details.

Still loads to do.

Also, livestream still isn't working properly for me, so I gotta record stuff via camstasia.

Fixed the mouth, moving on.
    Last edited by DartG; October 11th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.

I haven't posted here a while~

I love your latest works, especially the warrior in armor one. I'm really into fantasy and I like seeing well-detailed armor pieces, so it's an instant favourite in my book ;)
    The prince look nice as well. He really gives of an "I'm-better-than-you-because-I'm-a-noble" vibe which I believe you were going for. The hat-thingy looks a little out of place, but I guess you're still working on that.

I'll work on this guy some more later on this month, I gotta do a ton of studies before I can finish him.

Even though this years Halloween sucked, I hope everyone made the best of it.

Tomorrow is International Self-Portrait day, so I'll be taking part in that. Not through a livestream, most likely just using camtasia to record my process.

Here's a little sketch I did today before the power went out.

I'll try to upload my self portrait tomorrow after I mess with it a bit more.
    I decided not to do another version of my sketch, and just paint over it after watching Mile's 'Pet' video.

The title will be called Exposed. The idea isn't that original, just all of the things cliche magicians do will be on the image at once. So it's a center composition, nothing really special.

Lovely work DartG!

So I should be able to Co-sign a loan for Animation Mentor after my family moves. Their credit has been getting better, so this time around I should get accepted for the S.M loan to take part in the school. Or, if I find a good enough job after we move, I'll do it out of my pocket, and also attend iAnimate afterwords.

I just installed the 2013 trial of Maya and should be dabbing with it and Zbrush the next few weeks. As well as focusing more on an animated style I'm comfortable with.

I still have my old Maya books, so I'll be doing the annoying penguin model tomorrow to get back to knowing how to use Maya on a basic level.
    Last edited by DartG; November 7th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DartG View Post
    Even though this years Halloween sucked, I hope everyone made the best of it.

Tomorrow is International Self-Portrait day, so I'll be taking part in that. Not through a livestream, most likely just using camtasia to record my process.

Here's a little sketch I did today before the power went out.
    http://i49.tinypic.com/kbymac.jpg
    i like this sketch the most!!

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information