+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 643: "Phantom" -Discussion

Default Re: Chapter 643: "Phantom" -Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by EeveeGoPewPew View Post
    "Nothing" is the substance. It is a substacne that is not used enough.
    I understand him standing for "nothing" or being represented by "nothing" can in effect be his characterization. A senseless entity who loves being hateful just because. People are taking to that because as TLC put it it's kinda "real". People can be racist and hateful for no logical reason and the reasoning behind their actions often fall under empty hate with no real purpose. Usually something dumb and senseless. That's the problem I have with Hodi. He's bland and his "character" is empty. Just because his "nothing substance" makes sense and can be compared to how people act in the real world doesn't mean I'd like it as Hodi's character. There's nothing more to him than well..."nothing". To each his own really.

Maybe this was the best way Oda could have gone about handling his character at this point really he's just a bad villain for me.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    No, not really. Oda purposefully made Hody into a villain with no substance, so really he's just a badguy that needed to get in the way of the Strawhats this arc.
    That is like saying Hilter, Bin Laden, or the KKK had no substance. They all had the same thing in common with Hodi = the willingness to kill a group of people because of hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by Thousand Lion-chan View Post
    Anyone else found Robin's attack to be a little...suggestive if you catch my drift.

Usopp is a BAMF!!! Period.
    For Robin's 'suggestive pose" ...too bad half of it is due to Hammond's body. One half (the one atting the legs) can be repeated with others but the one suggestive pose I caught was due to that long neck Robin was hold on to.

Hmmm my age must be showing, what do you mean by the BAMF? I laughed at that because it reminded me of the old IUncanny X-Men issues that had the Bamfs in it.,,,gah can't get pics to show....

Quote Originally Posted by churlyryan View Post
    Oh God, Usopp! You are so manly. This is great character development, too. He doesn`t need to lie anymore, because he is badass enough to actually do what he says. That last panel on page 12....oh god. I love you, Usopp. Now finish him!

Octopako on page 15! She was such a bitch to Hachi. Can`t she be Namis big fight this arc?
    hehe This is supporting what Usopp claimed back in SA in the bar, that he's not a weaking anymore and doesn't fit in the old "weakling trio". AS good as Chopper and Nami has grown, I have to think that there is no more weakling gruop at all.

Hmmm I doubt that Nami will fight Octopako...at least in this big mashup. Octopako is a snappy bitch but she is not in the New Fishman Pirates. I'm hoping to see Keimi bitchslap Octopako. I hope her dream never comes true. Octopako doesn't deserve for one of the princes to marry her.

Finally saw the entire chapter! Man, Brook was awesome!

As for Robin, I have already said my piece on her a while back (on page 2 I believe) I am gonna say it again anyway. While the fight itself was disappointingly short, those new found capabilities of the Cuerpo fleur ability (including the fact that the clones can move on their own and are not rooted to the ground) have gave me some exciting ideas for new techniques for both of my new moveset projects so that kinda makes up for it I suppose. Oh man, I feel rejuvinated with creative jucies again! Thanks a bunch, Oda! :)

And finally for Hodi, *ahem* FUCK THAT INSANE RACIST PRICK! I hope that when he dies, his fucking leftovers (including his fish balls) get served up at a local Long John Silvers or Red Lobster. Punk bitch!

Anways, good chapter! :D
    Last edited by joesephes; October 19th, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
    ****THE NICO ROBIN: ROKUSHIKI PROJECT****
    Go here for the project and here for the thread! (UPDATE 10/5/19)
    ****THE HUAQUANDAO STYLE PROJECT***
    Go here or here (UPDATE 05/10/14)

It would seem there was a legitimate reason why so many have speculated that Hody wouldn't be the "true" villain of the arc, that there's been someone pulling his strings the whole time. But it would also seem it wasn't someone; it was something, namely the environment and resentment that he doesn't truly own but has embraced. It's been subliminally picked up by plenty of people, and only now do we see why he's appeared so hollow a villain, because he really IS that hollow a villain, and that emptiness has turned out to have been the whole point.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    That's up to every single one of us, no?
    I got to say, that is incredibly poignant.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    That's up to every single one of us, no?
    Error. Statement does not compute.

I mean people live according to what their hearts say. Or the limbic system/hypothalamus (the "heart" of the brain). However, if that system does not develop correctly, and love cannot be felt and appreciated, we get an individual that can't see the value in morals. That leads to rejection and hate of "Good". Extremists who hate irrationally cannot be reasoned, so the only way to beat them is physically. Yet, this notion seems wrong, because they didn't really chose to be morally blind. I wonder what Oda's answer will be...

Can people born without a moral sense, obtain one through experience? The brain is plastic, but how does it change, and does it have limits? I think it's definitely possible for people to change who they are through their efforts and experience, and perhaps the brain doesn't really have a limit to its plasticity.

Sorry if I write about so many technicalities. It helps me understand if I can visualize mechanisms.

Who does all the other kinda speech bubbles belong to? Have confused me a bit tbh.

-Has found new love for Brook though- Though I think that was a cheap way of making Brook indestructible Oda >.> If I read right or had the right translation, basically brook's devil fruit power is so immense that his bones cannot be penetrated. O.o
    Will someone tell me how to make a signature already? UGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    That is like saying Hilter, Bin Laden, or the KKK had no substance. They all had the same thing in common with Hodi = the willingness to kill a group of people because of hatred.
    What?

The manga itself says Hody is basically a guy lacking any substance. What does Hitler, Bin Laden, and the KKK have to do with anything?

http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/88730115/20
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCrawfish View Post
    I can't wait for this arc to be animated. Holy shit, I can't wait.
    Seeing a fully colored and animated Robin with 3 arms is going to be amazing!
    Donquixote Rosinante deserved what happened. He was a liar and a traitor. I hate when characters betray, even if its happening on the villains side.

People that truly read One Piece. We are a dying breed. That's still dying.

I understand him standing for "nothing" or being represented by "nothing" can in effect be his characterization. A senseless entity who loves being hateful just because. People are taking to that because as TLC put it it's kinda "real". People can be racist and hateful for no logical reason and the reasoning behind their actions often fall under empty hate with no real purpose. Usually something dumb and senseless. That's the problem I have with Hodi. He's bland and his "character" is empty. Just because his "nothing substance" makes sense and can be compared to how people act in the real world doesn't mean I'd like it as Hodi's character. There's nothing more to him than well..."nothing". To each his own really.

Maybe this was the best way Oda could have gone about handling his character at this point really he's just a bad villain for me.
    Hodi is simply ignorant. Ignorance leads to racism. I think HOdi is the exact portait of a lot of people in today's society. MOst racist people have no reason but to hate, very actually have reason to.

What?

The manga itself says Hody is basically a guy lacking any substance. What does Hitler, Bin Laden, and the KKK have to do with anything?

http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/88730115/20

??
    money, revenge and political power are motives too. although certainly not a good motive.
    Hitler = yay free slaves and the purification of proud race
    Bin Laden = Israel is our enemy, US is israel's friend. kill the friend of the enemny (or something along that line) and the iran-israel hate is political and with good reason
    KKK = what the hitler said

THIS WEEK'S CHAPTER WAS AMAZING! Robin's attacks were really cool! Awesome fight! Brook was super cool too (Love Brook!)! I loved seeing his head come off and then go back on! Usopp has changed so much! He doesn't lie anymore, I'm so proud!!

Could anyone explain to me what Brook was saying? When he was talking about how he understood his Devil Fruit, I didn't really understand.

So I'm having trouble understanding how any of brooks fights will be worth reading from now on, he gets slashed and just combines back, so is the only thing that can hurt him now haki, or do things like explosions and hard hits still do the trick

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Calling it now: Hody is going to evolve into a white shark. He's going to pop pills until his brain only works on animalistic(?) levels. Like the villain in akira toriyama's "Kajika" who drank dragon blood and turned into a dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    So I'm having trouble understanding how any of brooks fights will be worth reading from now on, he gets slashed and just combines back, so is the only thing that can hurt him now haki, or do things like explosions and hard hits still do the trick
    Haki, Seastone and deep water as usual I would assume.

Brook will never stop being my favorite character. I thought that before this chapter, and now he's just given me more of a reason to never stop loving him! Pure awesome in every way, and probably my favorite chapter since Brook joined!

Well, this remembered of a picture with facebook comments I saw about the Tsunami on Japan.
    Basically it was a bunch of people who barely paid attention to history class, saying Japanese people DESERVED that because they destroyed pearl harbor...
    Hodi is the same. He has no connections what so ever with the discrimination Humans inflicted upon Fishman. He just thinks fishman are superior, and uses that descrimination as an excuse...
    Its interesting how it contrasts with Arlong, which actually new "HUMANS" and had lots of reasons to hate and not believe them. In some points, this arc may have done a great job redeeming Arlong... In fact he had lots of motives not to believe a thing humans said... And while what he did IS bad, its comprehensible. Its like a rape victim killing all the rapers in the world. (of course its not, but you get the point).

(of course I'm not saying Arlong for NAKAMA or anything of that sort....)

Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    He says it pretty clearly: so long his bones are not broken, he won't be harmed. So, he can still be cut/punched and feel it, but the attacker will need a lot of skill to hit him before he can react.

(Hey, doesn't his ability almost make Brook logia-like?)
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information