+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Writing Competition: Keep Up The Standard!

Default Re: Monthly Writing Competition: Keep Up The Standard!

It's fun--probably because halloween is something I love. <3

Oooooh this sounds amaaaziiiinnng. Oh god little green idiots that intentionally cause mayhem and chaos to people. It reminds me of the episode where Zim creates an entire future for Dib to try and find out if it was Dib who threw the muffin at him.

I was thinking about the themes and I remembered seeing this writing challenge game on fictionpress once, and found it kinda interesting. It probably won't work out in this situation, especially because most people are writing multi-chapter stories, but we could maybe have a challenge of sorts on some weeks. Like doing a whole chapter without using the word said, or having to use a particular sentence at some point. Could be kinda fun, I dunno.

When is Halloween, anyway? /not American

If it's too late to set a Halloween theme, and it won't work for the next round, then maybe we could have a Thanksgiving (I dunno when Thanksgiving is either) or Christmas theme instead! That could be kinda fun too :)
    Handsome man save me from the monsters.

I say we do a Christmas Theme next month. That way the results will be in December. Seems appropriate to me.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Oh, and Halloween is on the last day of every October, while I think Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of every November.

Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar

god the muffins... it's a perfect match.

Halloween is October 31st, which is apparently a Monday this year. I second the Christmas theme with robot elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles the Dark View Post
    I completely dropped the ball on this. I forgot we were thinking about themes and I was just waiting for people to enter while also looking for judges (how on earth did Kenny do all this?)
    I'd go for the Halloween theme, but Jay already entered a story and it wouldn't be fair to ask him to change it.
    I'd have no problem changing my story (in fact I still have to fix a few things in it before judging time begins ) but I think we should plan themes in advance. Like planning a Christmas theme would be possible since there is time to plan things before it begins. But it's halfway through the month of October already, Halloween being 16 days away. If anyone wants to start writing a Halloween-themed story that's fine, but I think it's a little late to make it a theme.

Quote Originally Posted by trappedolphin View Post
    When is Halloween, anyway? /not American
    A day where children dress up in costumes and go from door to door in neighborhoods and yell out "trick or treat". Then they get candy from whoever opened the door.

This goes on alllllll night. And it is glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGJay View Post

A day where children dress up in costumes and go from door to door in neighborhoods and yell out "trick or treat". Then they get candy from whoever opened the door.

This goes on alllllll night. And it is glorious.
    She said when not what , atleast I hope she knows what halloween is :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    You are a treasure.

Ah sorry. It's a little early for me right now.

haha yeah I know what Halloween is, but thanks anyway JayJay :)

we could have a list of themes in the first post too, when people have agreed on them. :)
    Handsome man save me from the monsters.

Well if we really want to have a halloween one we could lower the char minimum and make a short story I guess

But I would love a christmas theme
    You are a treasure.

I think I could manage a Halloween-themed short story, and I'd be interested in reading others'.

I dunno, I think we can encourage Halloween submissions, but to make them a requirement might be too much. I mean, it worked for the Bi-Weekly, but with only twelve competitions a year? I don't know. :\

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Themes might make if challenging for people that are writing the same story. Halloween, then possibly Christmas, then maybe Valentine's Day? (and other themes I haven't thought of) Monthly themes or special competitions based on themes would be pretty interesting, but it might be a bit much depending on how many theme contests there are. I'd totally be interested in reading them though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

I dunno, I think we can encourage Halloween submissions, but to make them a requirement might be too much. I mean, it worked for the Bi-Weekly, but with only twelve competitions a year? I don't know. :\
    Ah, you have a point. A one-time, non-required theme then?

Like ultimateclima more or less said, maybe you should consider setting an optional theme for every competition. Having directions or a certain goal might be encouraging for people to write something.

Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar

I was gonna say it should be optional too. Sometimes when people have writers block, a prompt of some kind makes it easier, but we wouldn't want to deter someone who wants to submit but doesn't like that particular theme/topic that gets chosen.

I'd write something for Halloween, but I'm too busy focusing on A Dastardly Two right now to work on something else. Maybe next year.

We're going to make the Halloween theme optional this time. Maybe once we get more organized, maybe we can have dual competitions: the regular monthly contests and a two week contest with a lower character limit to give incentive to participate. A Christmas contest would be a good experiment.

the answer is vintage meme zachri's Avatar

...tempted to join in.
    Oh so tempted.

#SWAGLETON

By all means, come join the fun.

We stop accepting at the end of the month if you need more time to decide though.

the answer is vintage meme zachri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RPGJay View Post
    By all means, come join the fun.

We stop accepting at the end of the month if you need more time to decide though.
    Oki~
    Just need a few ideas :|
    so there's a Halloween writing competition, right? Can it have ANY theme at all?
    Knowing me I'd submit one and it'd be either all pansy or bad because I'm terrible with gore even written down X'D stupid me.

#SWAGLETON

The theme is completely optional. It doesn't have to be about Halloween if you don't want it to.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information