+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DC/Marvel animated films thread

Default Re: DC/Marvel animated films thread

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Alan Moore kind of hates the story though, doesn't he?

Partly because it got so big and famous, but he's generally said he's not happy with it.
    Does Alan Moore EVER like it when one of his works gets big and famous?

Moore is fine with his work being popular, it's what lets him continue to write and make a living after all.

What he doesn't care for is when the entire industry sees one story, like Watchmen or Killing Joke or Dark Knight Returns, and then imitates the surface of it without any of the depth or nuance and just reflects one aspect.

After Watchmen (and Swamp Thing) did writers put out more complex stories and expand the medium in new ways and spin old characters in interesting directions and embrace the history of what comics were and make them more? No, they went "dark superheroes that kill are cool and the old values are lame!" (kind of the lesson Synder has taken) and we got a dead superman, broken Batman, clone Spiderman and literally decades of not-fun stories dominating everything. Moore and his couple successes there was partly, or maybe even largely, responsible for comics in the 80s and 90s sinking down to grimdark muck, and he feels really guilty about that.

It's part of the reason his Tom Strong line is the exact opposite.

Granted nowadays the man comes off as a liiiittle crazy, but he's entitled give the quality of the work he's done. You may not like his writing much (on the whole I don't), and he has a few nasty quirks that appear in his stories time and again, but he probably IS the best writer in comics and has been for a couple decades.
    Last edited by Robby; April 4th, 2016 at 01:17 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

That's kinda also the reason he hates the film adaptations of his works as well come to think of it. I think he's worried they only adapt the surface level of the stories rather than actually adapting them entirely.

I wonder... he's taken a more recent stance of just ignoring adaptions of his stuff and assuming he'll hate it, so not bothering... has he ever seen an adaptation of his work that he LIKED?.... Like, before he got so bitter about it?

Personally, I've not read too many of his works, but the few I've read I've really loved.

I've read Watchmen, Killing Joke, and For the Man Who Has Everything. All are quite good IMO, but again, that's only 3 works from a guy whose spanned decades in the comics industry.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

I remember hearing Moore liked the JLU adaptation of For The Man Who Has Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Alan Moore kind of hates the story though, doesn't he?

Partly because it got so big and famous, but he's generally said he's not happy with it.
    From what I've read, (and along with the other info Rin pointed out) he mostly hates it because the writing didn't relate much to real world issues, like Watchmen or V for Vendetta did. I can see why he'd think that, but I feel most people went in expecting a Batman/Joker story, and they got that.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    That's kinda also the reason he hates the film adaptations of his works as well come to think of it. I think he's worried they only adapt the surface level of the stories rather than actually adapting them entirely.
    I don't blame him for hating the film adaptations of his works. They suck.

So it seems there's a collection of movies part of the same continuity as the "justice league: War" movie.

Any one to give me there opinion or rating on them?

Has anyone else seen the trailer The Killing Joke yet?

Yeah, it included exact lines from the comic!! Honestly really hyped for it.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Watched Justice League: The New Frontier for the first time today. My new favourite JL origin story (I never encountered the comic in my country). God that movie was awesome. So much Martian Manhunter!

It even has a fake Superman death scene... Seeing that made BvS even more redundant. Seriously, fuck you Zack.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    So it seems there's a collection of movies part of the same continuity as the "justice league: War" movie.

Any one to give me there opinion or rating on them?
    I have not seen Son of Batman, and the things I've heard about it are... less than excellent.
    I have not seen Throne of Atlantis, though I hear it is at least a refreshingly dignified take on Aquaman.
    I have seen Batman VS Robin, and that one I thought was pretty decent.
    I have seen Batman: Bad Blood, and that one I actually really liked. Out of all the DC animated movies I've seen (the ones I listed as having seen here, plus War, plus Under the Red Hood) I think this was actually my favorite of the bunch.
    I have seen Justice League VS Teen Titans which is a seriously misleading title (the fight in question lasts for like five minutes, and the JL are brainwashed at the time), but I thought it was decent.

Justice League vs Teen Titans review below.... I am a big fan of the TT so I had to watch this one

Spoiler:
    First of all, I feel like this movie was made under a budget. There's only like 12 speaking roles? Besides like 2 or 3 villain types, the only characters in this are JL and TT and there's barely any audience or non supers. Like the 2 reporters at the start and that's it. Kinda makes the movie feel really bare bones to begin with.

So I love Trigon as a villain because I love Raven and I love what it means for her to defeat him, which brings me to the biggest overall flaw of the movie: the TT felt like a group of strangers instead of a family. The trigon story is sort of a Blood of the Covenant is Stronger than the Water of the Womb type story, that's where Raven draws her strength, and yet it feels like they barely know each other. I can't entirely blame them though because it's a movie and so it takes frickin' 30 minutes of JL buffoonery just to set up the premise but one of the best points of the comics even was that it was a slow boil story that built up in the background over time, not the first act.

The biggest irony of this movie is that the only reason the TT managed to survive the opening wave of petrification in the comics was because of Raven's blessing, so the JL was completely incapacitated. Which brings me to my next point: Trigon was kinda wimpy in this. He shows up as a giant and... that's it? Really?

Also, there's only THREE teen titans?? And Starfire is the leader?? And we're pretending that Cyborg was NEVER a teen titan (though I appreciated him at the end)???? You're going to tell me they have this fucking huge ass T shaped building for 3 people????????? Also thanks for bringing the Titans Tower back, that dopey shit rules <3

So not only is the team super bare bones but it seems like Raven and Starfire barely even know each other, I guess because she's so busy being the leader for some reason, but it just feels like the charm and dynamics of the TT relationships with each other is missing... and on top of that, you're gonna drop Damian Wayne who's dead set on being a pissant and shoehorn him in this story like he has an equal amount at stake. I don't hate the dynamic between him and Raven (in fact Im glad there was SOME relationship building between ANY of the characters... that arent superman and wonderwoman) but it was just the wrong story, wrong time. It should have been a Deathstroke story or something. Idk.

Also I hate when the Justice League gets involved with the TT in any way because they're always written like a bunch of baby sitters. Let the TT have their own thing and their own villains, sheesh. Like the entire series of Young Justice was just the JL being the disappointed dad to the TT, we get it, can we please move on.

anyways it's not to say I didn't like it! There's a lot of throwbacks to the old show and it's nice seeing these characters on screen. Raven had some cool scenes which was nice and the last 2 minutes was just cracking me up (that's not what that stone is but uh okay this is still fucking funny).

I like the TT way more than the JL any day but everything just felt extremely stiff. The new voice actors felt really wooden, but i think they could come around.. well they would, if this was an actual TV show which it should be, honestly.

tldr 7/10 for TT fans... maybe 6/10 for everyone else

also there looks like a set up for a sequel

also this

also is it just me or are they trying to turn Starfire into Jean Grey
    Last edited by taboo; May 13th, 2016 at 09:17 PM.

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

She look like X-Men Evolution's Jean anyway. Well, outside of the Sailor Moon transformation.
    Complicating things since 2009.

The Killing Joke is getting a one night release in theaters on July 25th.

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    Justice League vs Teen Titans review below.... I am a big fan of the TT so I had to watch this one

Spoiler:
    First of all, I feel like this movie was made under a budget. There's only like 12 speaking roles? Besides like 2 or 3 villain types, the only characters in this are JL and TT and there's barely any audience or non supers. Like the 2 reporters at the start and that's it. Kinda makes the movie feel really bare bones to begin with.

So I love Trigon as a villain because I love Raven and I love what it means for her to defeat him, which brings me to the biggest overall flaw of the movie: the TT felt like a group of strangers instead of a family. The trigon story is sort of a Blood of the Covenant is Stronger than the Water of the Womb type story, that's where Raven draws her strength, and yet it feels like they barely know each other. I can't entirely blame them though because it's a movie and so it takes frickin' 30 minutes of JL buffoonery just to set up the premise but one of the best points of the comics even was that it was a slow boil story that built up in the background over time, not the first act.

The biggest irony of this movie is that the only reason the TT managed to survive the opening wave of petrification in the comics was because of Raven's blessing, so the JL was completely incapacitated. Which brings me to my next point: Trigon was kinda wimpy in this. He shows up as a giant and... that's it? Really?

Also, there's only THREE teen titans?? And Starfire is the leader?? And we're pretending that Cyborg was NEVER a teen titan (though I appreciated him at the end)???? You're going to tell me they have this fucking huge ass T shaped building for 3 people????????? Also thanks for bringing the Titans Tower back, that dopey shit rules <3

So not only is the team super bare bones but it seems like Raven and Starfire barely even know each other, I guess because she's so busy being the leader for some reason, but it just feels like the charm and dynamics of the TT relationships with each other is missing... and on top of that, you're gonna drop Damian Wayne who's dead set on being a pissant and shoehorn him in this story like he has an equal amount at stake. I don't hate the dynamic between him and Raven (in fact Im glad there was SOME relationship building between ANY of the characters... that arent superman and wonderwoman) but it was just the wrong story, wrong time. It should have been a Deathstroke story or something. Idk.

Also I hate when the Justice League gets involved with the TT in any way because they're always written like a bunch of baby sitters. Let the TT have their own thing and their own villains, sheesh. Like the entire series of Young Justice was just the JL being the disappointed dad to the TT, we get it, can we please move on.

anyways it's not to say I didn't like it! There's a lot of throwbacks to the old show and it's nice seeing these characters on screen. Raven had some cool scenes which was nice and the last 2 minutes was just cracking me up (that's not what that stone is but uh okay this is still fucking funny).

I like the TT way more than the JL any day but everything just felt extremely stiff. The new voice actors felt really wooden, but i think they could come around.. well they would, if this was an actual TV show which it should be, honestly.

Was it based on the very first Trigon story where the TT first assembled, or was it based on the later actual end-of-the-worldy story that came 50 issues later that the old cartoon adapted as their finale?

From your description of the plot it sounds much closer to their first story in which, yes, Trigon went out like a wimp.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

that the old cartoon adapted as their finale?
    Eh? There was a whole season after the Trigon storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Eh? There was a whole season after the Trigon storyline.
    No there wasn't. "The End" three parter was the finale.

There were no terrible episodes with lackluster villains that focused on the B team titans complete with a random cliffhanger final episode about Terra after that that were clearly the result of them being as surprised as anyone that they had one more season after they thought they were wrapping up.

Titans in Tokyo still happened though.

Robby's at it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Robby's at it again.
    Hahaha, yeah, I get the feeling we best be out the way. (He's righteous though...)

So I just watched Justice League vs. Teen Titans and I have to ask. Are the studio companies obligated to have their movies contain Batman or the Justice League? I ask because it seems like this would have been stronger as just Teen Titans.

It felt like this could have been a good movie on Damian learning to embrace a team as well as setting up the Teen Titan dynamics, but we only get like 40 minutes of that because we have to see JL shenanigans.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information