+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Night Talk Shows

Default Re: Conan O達rien won't move The Tonight Show at 12:05 am for Leno

You know what's hilarious though? Letterman's jabs at this whole mess (along with his obvious bias towards Conan over Leno).

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_s...ault&play=true

Fallon is on right after Conan. While Kimmel airs at the 12 am est, 11 pm central time zone during the 2nd half of both Conan and Letterman/First halfs of Fallon/Craig Fregunsion.

Any way you look at it, seems like Conan just created an opportunity for his break.

Now let's all wait for the Showtime Original Movie.

Or wait for the sequal to the HBO Original Movie, "The Late Shift 2: Coco and the Chin".

Whatever your personal opinion of Leno is (personally, I like him), why should he "go rot"?! Both he and Conan are victims of NBC's now spotlighted gross incomptence, and both have made it very clear they're not happy with this at all (Conan in particular). I hear talk of Conan possibly moving to Fox for a 11pm timeslot. Can't say I'd see a problem with that (plus it would be great for his ratings, for a few reasons I'm not getting into right now).

And for the record, Leno himself, nor his show, is the primary reason for this. NBC's entire primetime lineup is crashing hard. For reasons unknown, NBC thinks this will solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

Because Leno did the same thing to Letterman back in 1992, when took over the Tonight Show from Johnny Carson. Watch the movie, The Late Shift. Its basically a retelling of the entire Leno/Letterman situation for The Tonight Show.

i dont watch either shows

i win

Quote Originally Posted by Mokenda_mint View Post
    Who gives a shit whether or not it's moved to a different time slot. The fact is it's going to be the same damn program!
    Besides he's being such a bitch about having to move over for Leno when in fact LENO GAVE HIM THE FUCKIN SHOW IN THE FIRST PLACE

I'm sorry, but I've never cared for Conan. Every time I've tried watching him I just stare bored or find myself so pissed off that I want to throw the remote through the tv as opposed to simply changing the channel.
    ..actually, good sir, Conan TOOK the fucking show from Leno via sheer popularity. Conan's show has been getting better ratings for years, and, in a move of sheer BALLSand BADASSERY, when he was renegotiating his contract he refused to renew his contract unless he got the better time-slot/show. NBC complied because Leno has been shit unfunny for years and his only viewers are doing so because he's 'likable' and 'family-friendly' or whatever.

Conan was always the underdog and he ended up on top and eventually earning the show from Leno. Leno was BOOTED OUT to make room for Conan. 'giving' him the show isn't what happened at all..
    also: conan is hilarious. respek to him for sticking to his guns on this!
    i don't get why people think he should move to FOX. FOX is a shit network kept afloat by Seth MCFarland that axes shows before they even get a chance to find an audience. why would he leave one negligent network for an even MORE negligent one??
    Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Also, it's a children's comic from Japan.

Why are you comparing it to cultural engravings and burritos.

Here is all the monolouges from tonight including Kimmel dressing up Leno and Chevy Chase as Conan. Everyone is pretty bashing Leno, expect for Leno and Fallon. Even SNL is making fun of Leno on their commerical for this weeks episode.

http://tv.gawker.com/5446744/late-ni...in-leno-avoids

Just pointing something out, the timeslot matters very much because most people can't stay up late on weekdays to see the later shows. The later the show, the lower the ratings. And like Letterman said, a show at 1:30 is just a smidgin away from not having a show.

But to state my opinion, even Poker After Dark which comes on at 2:00 is 10 times better than Carson Daily's show, which is god awful. It has no jokes, the people he interviews are nobody, and half the show is used playing bad music. He doesn't do it in a studio or with an audience anymore... And 9/10 episodes are reruns... somehow...

He's not gonna move to Fox after finally getting the Tonight Show, they're just gonna work something else out. Fox has plenty of good shows, still has Simpsons and Family Guy anyway... House is ok... Right now at 11-12 they're showing reruns of like, early seasons of The Office.

Jimmy Fallon mentioned it, yesterday he said something was like "getting more screwed up than the schedule we me, Conan and Jay." Though really it's not gonna affect him much anyway. I think he's gotten better ratings though anyway with this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ao Kiji View Post
    ..actually, good sir, Conan TOOK the fucking show from Leno via sheer popularity. Conan's show has been getting better ratings for years, and, in a move of sheer BALLSand BADASSERY, when he was renegotiating his contract he refused to renew his contract unless he got the better time-slot/show. NBC complied because Leno has been shit unfunny for years and his only viewers are doing so because he's 'likable' and 'family-friendly' or whatever.

Conan was always the underdog and he ended up on top and eventually earning the show from Leno. Leno was BOOTED OUT to make room for Conan. 'giving' him the show isn't what happened at all..
    also: conan is hilarious. respek to him for sticking to his guns on this!
    i don't get why people think he should move to FOX. FOX is a shit network kept afloat by Seth MCFarland that axes shows before they even get a chance to find an audience. why would he leave one negligent network for an even MORE negligent one??
    First off I am not a 'sir'. *points to siggy* :>
    Second off, I don't see why people keep claiming Leno to be 'unfunny'. To be perfectly honest with you, I get a heck of a lot of laughs from him. Particularly when he would do the bits where he went over failed product names, blooped videos, etc. I love it for the spontenuity.
    I could honestly care less as to whether he doesn't make politics funny. In fact I HATE politics. The only reason I have a voter card is because my mother MADE me get one! "one vote was the deciding factor in a political race an eternity ago" i could care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake_Cloud View Post
    He didn't come back because he thought he could win, he came back because he's a goddamn hero and that's what heroes do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    Here is all the monolouges from tonight including Kimmel dressing up Leno and Chevy Chase as Conan. Everyone is pretty bashing Leno, expect for Leno and Fallon. Even SNL is making fun of Leno on their commerical for this weeks episode.

http://tv.gawker.com/5446744/late-ni...in-leno-avoids
    for the record: SNL makes fun of everybody
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake_Cloud View Post
    He didn't come back because he thought he could win, he came back because he's a goddamn hero and that's what heroes do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    Because Leno did the same thing to Letterman back in 1992, when took over the Tonight Show from Johnny Carson. Watch the movie, The Late Shift. Its basically a retelling of the entire Leno/Letterman situation for The Tonight Show.
    And hopefuly Leno will win once again.

Now im not all that clear on how it went down in detail, but if the network did choose him over Letterman how can it all be Leno's fault? honestly now the man cant help if he's just a better host than Letterman

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ao Kiji View Post
    Conan's show has been getting better ratings for years...
    It's ironic that Conan of all people doesn't understand his audience, because The Tonight Show airs at the same time his boys are still fisting in their Fight Clubs.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Terek, wolfwood and mint are not cool people. They're off the party list.

If the show does end I'll be heartbroken and will forever boycott NBC, which wont be hard cause Conan is the only good show on it. Keep digging your grave, NBC. I pity Comcast for just buying you.

Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1 View Post
    If the show does end I'll be heartbroken and will forever boycott NBC, which wont be hard cause Conan is the only good show on it. Keep digging your grave, NBC. I pity Comcast for just buying you.
    Well c'mon, be honest here; NBC still has Chuck. So it still has two good shows.
    I will agree with you that whoever is running NBC right now is an incompetant douche. Anybody remeber Southland? They canceled that to make way for Leno. And they almost ended up canceling Chuck. How does that station manage to actually produce shows that gain a dedicated following and then cancels them anyway? On what basis do they decide their programming?

As to the Leno/Conan thing: yes, Leno is mediocre (I get some laughs whenever I happen to catch the show) and Conan is indeed much better, but he really was better off on his old show in the old timeslot. They should have either kept everything they way it was or fired Leno and introduced more scripted drama.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofSarus View Post
    S7evin is such a badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    You are nice and bad-ass at the same time, S7evin.

Or wait for the sequal to the HBO Original Movie, "The Late Shift 2: Coco and the Chin".
    Wow, I didn't think anyone would actually get the reference.

Well I never saw the movie, I used watch the Prevue guide channel a lot, when I was a kid and I saw the trailer for the movie all the time. lol.

And something interesting I read online recently, that Johnny Carson never really like Leno at all and he wanted Letterman to have the Tonight Show. Sometimes that makes me wonder what would've happen Letterman got the Tonight Show instead of Leno.

Do you know know the story of how Leno got "The Tonight Show" to begin with?

What happened was that Johnny Carson had a reputation for being a bit lazy sometimes. At least once or twice a week he would be off and have a guest host take over. That's actually how David Letterman was discovered. He used to guest host in the late 70s and early 80s.

Anyway, in late `80s, Jay Leno became Carson's guest host. Although it had nothing to do with Carson. The previous guest host was Joan Rivers. Yes, THE Joan Rivers. The E! red carpet lady. She was some-what of a successful comic in those days. When the FOX network was launched they offered her a talk show opposite and she took it. That upset Carson. He gave her the big break and now she's competing against him. Feeling burned he didn't want to get invested on the guest hosts anymore.

So, NBC made the call with Leno. And the ONLY reason why Leno was chosen was cause of Letterman. They were friends at the time and Letterman always had Leno on doing his comedy routine. That's actually how Leno became famous.

Anyway, Leno's agent/manager at the time was a woman named Helen Krushnick. She was notorious! Have you seen "Entourage" on HBO? If so, imagine Ari Gold but 50% worse and with no soul. Around that time, the Arsenio Hall show premiered and literally stole the 18-49 demographic from Carson. He was the first and only person to ever beat Carson.

So, Kushnick knew that Carson's days were numbered and started making deals behind closed doors with NBC. No one knew about them. Not Carson. Not Letterman. Not even the media. In order to help her cause she talked Leno into being super-nice and loyal to NBC. Whatever NBC wanted, Leno will do. Needed someone to host an event? Leno would do it. Needed someone to do promotions? Leno would do it. etc, etc, etc. So, she finally made the deal with NBC that once Carson retired, Leno would get the Tonight show. Again, all behind closed doors.

Carson had no idea any of this was going on. When he finally made his retirement announcement in 1991 and the Leno deal was revealed, everyone was shocked. Carson literally never spoke to Leno again. And, Letterman felt backstabbed. His friend of so many years stole his job, right behind his back. So, while he's upset at NBC, he's even more upset at Leno. Leno, a friend, hurt him. That pain and anger doesn't go away as easily.

Also, Leno announced he wanted to retire 5 years ago. So when Conan came time to renogotiate his contract, he wanted assurances he'd be Jay's replacement In the 4 or 5 years since, Jay changed his mind and decided he wasn't quite so ready to retire.

Its all a bunch of NBC incompetance, but... yeah.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So if im getting this correctly Leno had a more competent albeit sleazly manager, who made him go the extra mile to convince the bigwigs that he was a better man for the job and effectivly outshone Letterman in their eyes. Which isnt looked kindly upon because Dave gave him his first big shot and thus he shouldn out of gratitude ever seek to challenge him for that job they both wanted. Which seems to summarized by most into "what a douchebag". Did i miss any steps?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information