+ Reply to Thread
Page 277 of 288 FirstFirst ... 177 227 267 275 276 277 278 279 287 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,540 of 5742

Thread: Western Comics thread

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Default Re: Western Comics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    They already fixed the Psylocke issue. Betsy Braddock is Brian Braddock's twin sister and also the new Captain Britain. Kwannon is an Asian ninja called Psylocke who has a butterfly motif. Both are telepaths/telekinetics depending on whatever the whim of the writer is.
    Really? I always just though she was just Japanese-British.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    Really? I always just though she was just Japanese-British.
    When did you first learn of Psylocke? This is one 'danger' of them changing Betsy's form waaaay back in the ... was it early 90s or late 80s? It was some point between '88 and '93. Then they went decades not mentioning how fully British Betsy was victim of a body-swap due to the ninja group, the Hand, with Japanese Kwannon.

Well the second run of Xmen had Kwannon appear as Revenge after Betsy, I think she was part of one of the two teams for a brief period, and them bamf disappear until Dawn of X.
    But I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Well the second run of Xmen had Kwannon appear as Revenge after Betsy, I think she was part of one of the two teams for a brief period, and them bamf disappear until Dawn of X.
    But I might be wrong.
    She didn't just disappear, she contracted the Legacy Virus and died.

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    She didn't just disappear, she contracted the Legacy Virus and died.
    Dying is just the another way of disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Dying is just the another way of disappearing.
    haha
    Oh but I wasn't arguing against her disappearing, I said "she didn't just disappear", making a difference between her and the other characters that drop into comic book limbo with no explaination, like what they did to Kitty Pryde after X-Men 100 she saved the team when the Neo Seth bombed the space station they were on. They didn't show her again until Peter Rasputin's death but they still didn't explain where she went between those times.

When did you first learn of Psylocke? This is one 'danger' of them changing Betsy's form waaaay back in the ... was it early 90s or late 80s? It was some point between '88 and '93. Then they went decades not mentioning how fully British Betsy was victim of a body-swap due to the ninja group, the Hand, with Japanese Kwannon.
    I was born in 1991, so I primarily knew Psylocke from the Capcom games and the animated series.

I was born in 1991, so I primarily knew Psylocke from the Capcom games and the animated series.
    Wow yeah only way you'd know she was originally fully Caucasian and become Asian via body-swap was if you were able to find old comics. The games and animated series never covered her origin that I know of.

No one cared about Psylocke before she became the asian assassin because well... THAT design. But yeah her backstory is pretty messed up.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So, now the two are back in their own bodies after like, decades, and doing their own things? Gotta love comics, man.

It’s partially because it was literally a yellowface situation that became increasingly untenable as Psylocke continued to do and say “Japanese” things.

And partially because the new (white) Editor in Chief at Marvel spent years moonlighting as a legit Japanese writer.

So, now the two are back in their own bodies after like, decades, and doing their own things? Gotta love comics, man.
    They actually became separate before Dawn of X. Not sure if it was during, before or after the Hunt for Wolverine. At one point Betsy-in-Asian-body went to Madripoor and encountered a psychic vampire there (an old Wolverine foe, I forget the name, Sapphire something or other) who drained Betsy completely, killing that body. Pulling an Xavier trick of hiding psyche within a living person, Betsy's mind survived by taking refuge within Sapphire herself. From what I heard (not sure if true) Betsy battled for dominance and destroyed the psychic vampire and took over the body. Somehow (insert sarcasm here) Betsy then was able to reconstruct her old body molecule by molecule (wha.... this can't be explained not even with Cartoon physics!) thus how Betsy regained her original caucasian body.

As far as I know, Kwannon was revived with Dawn of X but she was with her altered body despite not having purple hair anymore. It's not her original form as she was originally fully human, it was the Hand and Spiral's doing that mixed their genes along with swapping minds. Thus giving Kwannon the same telepathic powers as Betsy had (not sure on telekinitc abilities Bets got later on after Kwannon's death)

Sorry if you're a fan of Warren Ellis, but he's been accused of Sexual Coercion:
    http://www.multiversitycomics.com/ne...wN3lXz6IaQnsAc

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Sorry if you're a fan of Warren Ellis, but he's been accused of Sexual Coercion:
    http://www.multiversitycomics.com/ne...wN3lXz6IaQnsAc
    This is literally zero surprise, given his history and everything he's written.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    This is literally zero surprise, given his history and everything he's written.
    The only writing of Warren Ellis I'm familiar is the later half of Excalibur vol.1, after Alan Davis left. And I know zero about his history.

The only writing of Warren Ellis I'm familiar is the later half of Excalibur vol.1, after Alan Davis left. And I know zero about his history.
    He's got a history of writing horrific violence and horrible people and being awful to women.

Like, you can't judge someone about what they write for a fantasy story, but when they go to certain themes and ideas over and over and keep showing certain consistent attitudes it eventually stops being a story thing and turns into an author thing.

Have you seen the Castlevania anime? He's the guy that thought having a lengthy dialogue about donkey sex was a great addition to the mood of the piece.

Besides Castlevania, I think I only read the first chapter of Transmetropolitan, and it comes as zero shock to me.

I keep confusing this guy with garth ennies for some reason

Probably good that Alan Moore is a hermit considering almost all of his stories involve rape of some kind.

I liked Transmetropolitan but I can't remember what was in it...
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information