+ Reply to Thread
Page 276 of 287 FirstFirst ... 176 226 266 274 275 276 277 278 286 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,520 of 5736

Thread: Western Comics thread

Default Re: Western Comics thread

They already fixed the Psylocke issue. Betsy Braddock is Brian Braddock's twin sister and also the new Captain Britain. Kwannon is an Asian ninja called Psylocke who has a butterfly motif. Both are telepaths/telekinetics depending on whatever the whim of the writer is.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I'm super nostalgic for and partial to the Italian duck comics. I don't read too much of it since it is hard to come by, but it has a spot in my heart. The phantom is pretty solid too, and Asterix of course
    Really? That's surprising. They've been releasing pocket books of Italian Duck comics here since I was little (in an absurd variety of releases). Unless you mean different Duck comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Really? That's surprising. They've been releasing pocket books of Italian Duck comics here since I was little (in an absurd variety of releases). Unless you mean different Duck comics.
    No those are the ones i was thinking about. We do have a steady release of the modern ones but what i really want to get my hands on is the ones i read growing up like the classic run in your link. Preferably digital, but that'll probably take some time for disney to get on the ball

I've got all of the Asterix comics at home as well as (almost) the complete Don Rosa collection, my favorite Duck artist. I'm currently reading through all of his stories in chronological order.

One thing that bothers me is that old donald duck pockets never had any credited artists or writers so i can't even search for the artists own collections or anything useful like that. I only know them by style, but unless they invent tech where i can scan a pic and see who created it i'm out of luck

That was Disney mandated. Dutch Duck comics still aren’t allowed to have writer credits.

I have the Fantagraphics collection of Don Rosa’s Duck comics which is fantastic. I’m also collection the Carl Barks collection, but it’s not nearly as great because Barks is too dead to comment in-depth on each story he wrote.

Rosa's good, but I've never felt he quite his highs were as good as Barks'. Asterix and Tintin are fun as well (minus the stereotypes, same with Barks), especially the former given how good the English translation.

That was Disney mandated. Dutch Duck comics still arenít allowed to have writer credits.

I have the Fantagraphics collection of Don Rosaís Duck comics which is fantastic. Iím also collection the Carl Barks collection, but itís not nearly as great because Barks is too dead to comment in-depth on each story he wrote.
    I feel like with Barks, they could put excerpts from his interviews or letters on the appropriate story (if not post them at full). It wouldn't be much and maybe that would be too similar to some of the earlier Carl Barks focused volumes printed in the 80's, but I feel like that would be satisfying to the average fan.

I'm more amazed that the fantagraphics prints are unedited unlike they've been for most reprints. Well, uneditted as possible given how often the editors always seemed to have a compliant with Barks' stories.

This may be like swearing in church but i never really cared for Barks. I mean you gotta give credit where it is due, but in my heart Rosa took from his groundwork and made it great. But i mean it could just be that i grew up on a steady Italian diet of more modern stories and when i read Barks old stuff it just clashed with my expectations. Dunno, but i'm not going out to buy any Barks stuff anytime soon

That was Disney mandated. Dutch Duck comics still arenít allowed to have writer credits.
    Wow what a dick move.

Our current releases seem to be credited atleast.

Fun to finally put a name to the art.

Barks is fantastic and he created the characters and spent his life telling the stories and there's a ton of classics. Have to give the credit where its due.

But well... the stories ARE between 50 and 80 years old, and they feel it a bit. For all that he pioneered and innovated, the medium HAS moved forward since then a bit. And others have been able to take from that and build upon it, and I feel Rosa did the best. He's more fantatical and devoted to Barks' work than Barks was.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I actually wish Rosa was less of a fan to be honest. The excessive amount of cameos and references to Barksí work that he likes to shove in that when he actually deviate from the Barksian canon, it becomes all that more jarring.

Not mention I dislike the way he handles some of the characters; his handling of Donald getting a lot more abuse from Scrooge and is a more hapless stooge to McDuck in his hands than he was with Barks (at his height), probably being my biggest complaint. Scrooge might be Barks' creation, but Donald is called the
    "multi-facted Duck."

Barks’s Donald was the ultimate working class guy and that’s probably one of the reasons why comic Donald became so much more popular worldwide than cartoon Donald.

Rosa’s Donald, by his own admission, was everything he despised about (at the time) modern culture (even though Rosa’s stories are set in the ‘50s) and the antithesis to hard-working Scrooge. He was lazy, watched tv all day, hated going on adventures and didn’t respect his uncle. Still though, his Donald IS very funny and he did write that It’s a Wonderful Life adaptation that shows everyone is worse off without him (except Daisy).

Excalibur #10 and New Mutants 310 came out today as the new Dawn of X schedule
    Hidden:

Spoiler:
    So the events of the past two Excalibur's issues where just part of Jaime's bubble dimension? Damn he is really insane. New Mutants keeps being one of the most entertaining titles.

I finally learned what one of the duck artists i enjoyed as a kid was called, Corrado Mastantuono. He wasn't a defining artists by any means but his art really clicked with me. Also learned that the goofy bucktooth neighbour was called bum bum in Italian, which is just the cutest antagonist name ever. I really need to learn Italian to sort this out more clearly, but it is fun to put a face to an artstyle

Since Katzztar tempted with Kat's age's I will bring what I did while reading Claremont's run.
    Kate is 25ish (according to the wiki it's been 12 years since she joined, that's one of the two specif time frames given on the whole Xmenverse, the other is that the first team was together for 6 years.)
    This is the original piece I stitched together originally, using Jean's death as a stone mark and suing this site: https://x-men.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline , and the wikia I could make some educated guesses to fill the blanks.
    Hidden:

The educated guesses are that Charles was at least 18 to be drafted for Korea, Erik's age (always like this or Magnus better than Max) can be traced given the information given on on his wiki about the Nazi reign, McCoy was in college so he must be at least a year older the the other first class, Ororo was 6 during the Suez crisis, Peter is always 5 years older than Kate and Illyana is the same age as Kate.

But them cage along the Massachusetts Academy arc in the New Mutants to give me a kick in the balls, because when Illyana and Dani jump a year, there are not in 1982 but in 1984, meaning the correct year would be 1983 and not 1981, that manly only changes certain birth dates, resulting in this:
    Hidden:

And then again by the end of the run they are already of the run the are close to the end of the 80's so it's all kaputt.

The most coherent explanation for the sliding timeline is that subconsciously Franklin Richards is keeping every one he and his parents knew in a time bubble, preserving their ages while time moves forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Since Katzztar tempted with Kat's age's I will bring what I did while reading Claremont's run.
    Kate is 25ish (according to the wiki it's been 12 years since she joined, that's one of the two specif time frames given on the whole Xmenverse, the other is that the first team was together for 6 years.)
    I know of another specific timing and again it centers around Kate. She was in space with Star Lord for around 1 1/2 to 2 years. She first decided to stay in space with Peter Quill after the Black Vortex event. After that, Peter proposed to her and he was elected to rule over Spartex, she was together with him for 8 months before they argued and she joined Guardians of the Galaxy full time.
    They were separated for another 8 months before events happened that made Peter step down as King and rejoin the Guardians. But they didn't stay together too long before she returned to Earth and their engagement over once and for all. That "short time" wasn't given a quantitative time so that's where its iffy past 16 months, maybe up to 2 years.
    So chronologically Kate Pryde is around 26 to 27.

And here's where I throw a spanner into the works And no Franklin never factored into my puzzle

Just how do you measure age?
    Yes, we can say that Kate was born 26/27 years ago.
    But can we argue that there is more to one's age than how long ago one was born? Do we measure age chronologically, mentally, physically? Is there other factors to factor in?

#1- Remember back to when Illyana was kidnapped into Limbo. (I suggest rereading Uncanny X-Men #160 and pay esp. close attention to his words when he's speaking to Kitty when she's in the eldritch crystal) Belasco showed interest in Kitty too, kidnapped her and factored her into his original plan =
    "You, dear Kitty, and Illyana will be the means to my liberation and the Dark Ones triumph." We already know that Illyana was to be used in the plan to free "Limbo's Elder Gods" (not to be confused to Earths's Elder Gods , Set, Chthon ect) so that means He intended to use Kitty for his liberation, which he acchieved in the Magik mini-series. It's my theory that he did manage to break the spell binding him to Limbo while he had the 13 yr old Kitty his prisioner but stayed in Limbo because he still had Illyana.
    The thing is, we know how wonky time works and bends in Limbo. Also Kitty and Illyana was kidnapped at different times so we don't know who first appeared in Limbo really. Nor do we know how long Kitty was in that eldritch crystal.
    She did not age while trapped in the crystal, but her mind was active.

#2- Remember one of Kate's oldest boasts is "I've been to the edges of time and space". The first time I remember seeing this boast was when she confronted the Beyonder and claimed (I may get the exact wording wrong as I can't remember which issue it is) "I've been to the edges of time and space. I've fought gods and demons. I've met saints and madmen. You don't scare me."
    She's repeated the "I've gone/been to the edges of time and space" several times over the years.

#3- She spent some time traveling through the cross-time in the early years of Excalibur. Just how much time did she spend in this cross-time? While they were gone for a few weeks to a month on Earth, to them it was longer. On some worlds they only spent hours before they were able to go to another alt-Earth. but on some they spent days and weeks. It's suggested it was months on one world, the 'warlord Earth' (Excalibur #16-17) where they there long enough to love the place and call it a home.

#4- opps I forgot another fixed timing, though it is limited to less than a year. It's stated that there is a 6 month gap to the beginning of Dawn of X. Krakoa was already set up for a time by time Kate first arrives, then in Marauders we learn that Kate's team the Marauders has been active for a month. So tack on another 7 months there.

So just how old is Kate Pryde really?
    Chronologically, she's around 27.
    Mentally, she already had a genius IQ then add in all her adventures and times (like in Limbo) that could play a part.
    Biologically? We really don't know how much time spent was spent in Limbo or on other Earths or even the "been to edges of time" factors in so this one is a wildcard.
    She could be 27 or 30 or... well you get the point.

sources=
    Katherine Pryde's entry on wikia for the time in space (yes, yes "but wikipedia isn't reliable!" that's why I use articles with resources noted to I can find the articles/issues and confirm info)
    Uncanny X-Men #160= https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Unc...160?id=22843#1 Belasco's speach I quoted is on page 10.
    Excalibur # 16 https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Exc...-16?id=78255#2 quote about them coming to love it as home is on pg 2.
    Last edited by Katzztar; June 15th, 2020 at 08:56 AM.

Being back and forward in time and dimensions, and having her 30 years older conscience being transferred to your 13 yo self should also contribute heavily to how she aged both mentally and physically.
    The Franklin's bit came form this (wow 4 years old video):

She celebrated her 21st birthday in a comic that came out around 2011

She celebrated her 21st birthday in a comic that came out around 2011
    If its the one I'm thinking of, its an AU. There was a book of random short stories, many of which did not fit into Earth 616 continutity. I
    It had one story of Logan taking Kitty out for her 21st b-day and getting her drinks. It claimed it was first time she ever had an alcoholic drink. This is not mainstream Kitty as she has had drank alcohol in later days of Excalibur.

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    If its the one I'm thinking of, its an AU. There was a book of random short stories, many of which did not fit into Earth 616 continutity. I
    It had one story of Logan taking Kitty out for her 21st b-day and getting her drinks. It claimed it was first time she ever had an alcoholic drink. This is not mainstream Kitty as she has had drank alcohol in later days of Excalibur.
    Damn, Brian really was a bad influence huh

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Kitty drinking alcohol became non-canon as a result of her being de-aged by an angry Chris Claremont.

Nothing to suggest here that Girl Comics was non-canon either: https://www.cbr.com/jeanine-schaefer-on-girl-comics/

Everything big in the Marvel Universe always happened about 10-14 years ago. Except WW2, that was exactly as far back as it actually is because the only characters it really matters to are Wolverine, Captain America, who are excused for being that old, and the first Nick Fury.. Basically anyone else that was involved then had excuses for their longevity in the 80's, and those excuses still hold now.

It also matters to Magneto because Holocaust origin, but he's had magic space wizardry deage him along the way and been cloned or whatever, so its not even his original body anyway.

The war the Punisher was in doesn't matter because it's changed a couple time already to whatever the most recent but distant war was. I still remember when he slid from Vietnam to the Gulf War, that was weird.

I know I gave up long ago when I realized Jubilee's age changed depending on what series she was in and that her timeline made no sense. And then she became a vampire which was just really really dumb.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information