Closed Thread
Page 445 of 704 FirstFirst ... 345 395 435 443 444 445 446 447 455 495 545 ... LastLast
Results 8,881 to 8,900 of 14070

Thread: Confession Session

  1. #8881

    Default Re: Confession Session

    I don't think it's a real problem. This thread goes in waves. It'll be super depressing for 3 days, then it will go another several days without a single post, or with an occasional post and no replies (or almost no replies). Sometimes people lay down heavy confessions, and sometimes it's something really minor or in this most recent gaming-related branch, something goofy. I think it's refreshing to go from talking about depression to how to survive on cup noodles for 4 years.

    Plus it's nice to know that despite what you generally see here (or in other sections), we can all fool around and be lighthearted too. Basically the opposite of a lot of what Dryish said. Isn't it somewhat contradictory to say people are afraid of judgmental posters while at the same time shunning random chit chat? If anything people should feel more free to let loose whatever is on their mind.

  2. #8882

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryish View Post
    It's not about that, No Maam.
    I know. All I'm saying is that this thread can't be all about the realy serious shit 24/7, cause then the atmosphere is gonna be one of gloomy apprehension of what horrible tragedy someone posted. It's good that people post their problems, but I think it's better if not every new post made here automaticaly equals something bad/sad/depressing.

  3. #8883

    Default Re: Confession Session

    I learned long ago that there really is no way to control which way the friendly conversation goes without killing the AP spirit of things. That and i'm a super lazy and leniant moderator who can't be arsed to deal with anything but blatant abuses lol

  4. #8884

    Default Re: Confession Session

    The threads fine. It's best use balances between its intended use of confession and supportive response, and social conversing that is often spawned from an on topic discussion.

    Off topic stuff should only really be looked at if it dominates and overrides the more serious posts/pages here. The way I see it is that if something being discussed is too big and derails the threads purpose, then it should just be transferred to the relevant thread, with a red staff notice on the thread. It's the only middle ground that keeps everything in balance.

    I guess this is the only thread where this applies or works. It kind of became the general discussion thread sporadically ever since it was made.
    Last edited by Smudger; May 11th, 2013 at 05:59 AM.

  5. #8885

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    I don't think it's a real problem. This thread goes in waves. It'll be super depressing for 3 days, then it will go another several days without a single post, or with an occasional post and no replies (or almost no replies). Sometimes people lay down heavy confessions, and sometimes it's something really minor or in this most recent gaming-related branch, something goofy. I think it's refreshing to go from talking about depression to how to survive on cup noodles for 4 years.

    Plus it's nice to know that despite what you generally see here (or in other sections), we can all fool around and be lighthearted too. Basically the opposite of a lot of what Dryish said. Isn't it somewhat contradictory to say people are afraid of judgmental posters while at the same time shunning random chit chat? If anything people should feel more free to let loose whatever is on their mind.
    Tell all that to the depressed and super anxious people who have had problems with it. I'd say it's more about the way of talking than the actual content itself - not many troubled people want to see casual banter rising from their own venting because it doesn't really always feel appropriate nor is it the kind of response that they probably are looking for when they post in a thread like this.

    I don't personally have anything against periodical fluctuations of activity in any thread, especially when it's more or less natural to keep talking about something that someone brought up in the same thread. But the fact remains that this thread was originally meant for a different purpose, and at least in my opinion if something we do here, no matter how enjoyable for the participants themselves, derails the thread and detracts from its usefulness in what it was made for it should be either taken somewhere else or terminated altogether. That's common decency. And no, I am not making this up, I have myself talked to several people here who feel that way.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

  6. #8886

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryish View Post
    Tell all that to the depressed and super anxious people who have had problems with it
    sorry all you depressed and super anxious people for talking about dune. I should have known this off topic chit chat would totally suppress your desire to post.
    I'd say it's more about the way of talking than the actual content itself
    what does this even mean?
    not many troubled people want to see casual banter rising from their own venting because it doesn't really always feel appropriate nor is it the kind of response that they probably are looking for when they post in a thread like this.
    like any other thread, you can chose to respond or not. Even posts in this thread are ignored when the topic is solely in keeping with this threads purpose. If the discussion skips somebody and goes onto someone else, another confession or something all together irrelevant makes no difference, or change the fact it was looked over by everyone.
    I don't personally have anything against periodical fluctuations of activity in any thread, especially when it's more or less natural to keep talking about something that someone brought up in the same thread.
    being less stringent on the rules in some cases allows a better level of poster interaction. This thread as an example proves how people can gel better from it, which I guess opens up friendship and another possible source of support for those who need it.
    But the fact remains that this thread was originally meant for a different purpose, and at least in my opinion if something we do here, no matter how enjoyable for the participants themselves, derails the thread and detracts from its usefulness in what it was made for it should be either taken somewhere else or terminated altogether
    the threads use isn't changed or made unavailable by an on topic discussion branching off momentarily. Just let it run it's course and just like it always has in the past.....will return to normal.
    That's common decency. And no, I am not making this up, I have myself talked to several people here who feel that way.
    you need to remind yourself of what this thread is. It's not a psychologist, it's not a friend, parent or partner. If someone's issues are genuinely anything serious, then this place should not bare the weight of responsibility. This is for day to day chatter aimed at relieving burdens and giving basic advice about issues that we all have.

    You've basically taken a minor concern from bustercall and blown it well out of proportion. The thread will return to normality soon enough and nobody will be effected by its momentary derailment.
    Last edited by Smudger; May 11th, 2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: That's all I've got to say. Let just let it get back to normal

  7. #8887

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Yeah Dryish, you're a bit too uptight about this. :/

  8. #8888

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Wow. Interesting. No Ma'am, pehaps I am misreading you, but you almost come off, here, as if you have a problem with folks having a different opinion from you. I don't recall you being like that, so perhaps I am misreading your tone, for which I apologize. But in case I was not, I simply asked a question--Calm down, k? Its ok for me to ask the question, its ok for everyone, to state their case--no need to get personal. Answer the issue if you are so inclined--whether you feel somone's being uptight or overstating the case or not. I personally felt your sarcastic reply to my original question overstated your position a tad, too--but I'm not gonna call you uptight, or anything else. I'm gonna assume you feel strongly about your position, and try to respect your POV. If that makes me uptight, then so be it. I can live with that.

    As for why I asked--I've seen the chit chat here and there, and wondered if it had any affect on the thread, then yesterday when I was reading, I saw two people had posted things that were true confessions in the midst of the multiple off-topic posts about gaming, and I saw them both get ignored. As Smudge says, this isn't a professional call center--so I say of course we can answer or not--of course--but its one thing to post and have the thread remain silent, its another thing entirely to state something painful and have people talk about trivia around them as if they never spoke, you know? There's a whole 'nother level of choice going on there, IMHO. Sorta seems against the spirit of the thread as I recall it from days of yore--but as I said in my original query, maybe things have changed, and AP just isn't like I recall it, or maybe these sorts of confession threads are no longer needed, or maybe people are choosing to do their confessing elsewhere. I'm just saying, when I was here all the time, this thread and the site's ability to remain compassionate to the folks who confessed here was one of AP's better sides showing through. There are literally hundreds of threads all over the site that allow for random chit chat and friendly bonding--the idea that having some restraint in this one thread may somehow injure the spirit of AP seems... well, to be polite, I'll call is an odd assertion and leave it at that. Its your site as much as mine--I'm just one member (and a moderator for this thread, so there's that...)--I wanted to ask a question and spark a discussion. I appreciate everyone's input.

  9. #8889

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Uh... Guess I'll confess something but feel free to continue.~

    I've been trying my ass off to tone down my girlier mannerisms while working offshore since the whole lgbt thing isn't so popular in the South. And I never actually noticed before just how MANY mannerisms I had till I started paying attention. =P

    Guess now I know why my parents always thought I was gay.
    Last edited by Jazzy Jinx; May 11th, 2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: @Mom: I'm on a 3ds but I've been wanting to respond to the more serious posts.

  10. #8890

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Quote Originally Posted by I survived the buster call View Post
    Wow. Interesting. No Ma'am, pehaps I am misreading you, but you almost come off, here, as if you have a problem with folks having a different opinion from you.
    My response was mostly intentionaly over emphasized :P

    No problem having a different opinion, just didn't like the phrase "or terminated altogether" on Dryish's part :P

  11. #8891

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Confession:
    I am sitting here, reading One Punch Man and then Dorohedoro...and I just realized. Wow, I fucking suck at art. I ought to quit while I am ahead...

    real depressing stuff.

  12. #8892

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Yeahh, the video game chatter did go on a bit long. I saw a confession in the middle somewhere, but I had nothing to voice on it.

  13. #8893

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Do confessions tend to get ignored anyway? It's not like everyone gets a response. Or is expected to. Blaming the "my first video game" thing is kinda dumb. Especially considering it was only spoken up about long after the subject left the port.

  14. #8894

    Default Re: Confession Session

    I confess I'd just want us to stop :P

  15. #8895

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Hmm. I don't recall "blaming the first video game thing" for anything. In fact I don't think I "blamed" anything or anybody for anything, because, as I've stated several times, I haven't been here for some time. As I stated, I may have it wrong because I don't know the dynamics of the site, per se, right now, and any number of things could be happening here. All I did was note a phenomenon, cite an example of what I meant, and ask a question about it.

    FTR, I do not agree that having off topic banter and chit chat here will make folks feel more comfy dropping off a confession, whether the confession be a fairly light one or a fairly heavy painful one--and I have been around long enough to see what happens to general chit chatty threads here, and to consequently worry about the future of this very helpful and useful thread if it devolves any further.

    To be frank, I'm not really sure why everyone is so outraged that I am suggesting that a thread stay on topic--it has been the policy of the site to delete posts and entire discussions that are off topic in any given thread to avoid just that sort of ugly end to that thread, regardless of the fact that currently most of the staff is too busy IRL to do it as much as they perhaps ought to. However, as has always been the case, I believe the site belongs to everyone--and if the majority of users are the opinion that this thread has outlived its usefulness, or there are reasons to keep it along the track its on, or there are other solutions that are already working or could be instituted, then so be it. That is what I am asking. I'd hate to see the thread go slowly, little by little, off into "that good night" without anyone really thinking about if that is what people want or not--and right now that is where it seems to be going, at least from my perspective here on the relative sidelines of long absence. I believe most of you have been here long enough to have seen the same thing yourselves.

    What I haven't seen is anyone giving me examples of anything that makes what is going on make sense, or makes it ok for this thread, with the possible exception of Smudger (but I answered your point above, my dear.) Just a lot of attempts to discredit me for suggesting something so outrageous as that this thread ought to be used for its intended purpose. You can have a different opinion--go right ahead--but offer your reasoning, please. I'd really like to think that I'm wrong, and what I'm seeing is wrong. What appears here seems to be defensiveness, which, sadly, seems to indicate that I'm not wrong.

    Eh--anyway, I think I'm done. I don't come here to wag fingers or argue, and despite the fact that I hate being taken out of context and misundersood as much as the next person, I honestly have no interest in finger wagging or arguing--at least not about this stuff. I came back to ship my ships and talk trash about Robby...
    Last edited by I survived the buster call; May 11th, 2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: I'm basically done with this topic. Luv u Robby

  16. #8896

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Quote Originally Posted by I survived the buster call View Post
    As for why I asked--I've seen the chit chat here and there, and wondered if it had any affect on the thread, then yesterday when I was reading, I saw two people had posted things that were true confessions in the midst of the multiple off-topic posts about gaming, and I saw them both get ignored.
    The reason this doesn't worry me is that this happens even WITHOUT random banter. I have specifically noted it. Sometimes I've even considered replying to just acknowledge "hey I did read your post!" but I genuinely had nothing to say, or nothing positive (this is true of a recent confession in here). I don't think the constructive, compassionate posters who regularly reply here are petty enough to skip over on-topic posts just because of a side chat. If people do not realize this then I'm not really sure what to say; maybe reading through the last 100 pages of the thread would help.

    Like I said, I don't think the positive mingling of posters in here should make it harder to post, I think it creates a better and possibly even more tightly-knit atmosphere. I guess there's a chance that a new poster with no context of the thread's history might get the wrong impression and think it's not a place for seriousness, but that type of person should probably read more of the thread and get to know the people anyway. Like, I have definitely taken what people say the wrong way because I don't understand their posting style.

    Anyway this kind of off-topic thing doesn't tend to last super long. It's been a couple of days so far and it's already pretty much over, and like I said before this thread has been known to just go DEAD for many days at a time. That would be discouraging too, I would think.

  17. #8897

    Default Re: Confession Session

    I wish I wasn't on a 3ds but I also disagree with the notion that idle banter is constructive or contributive to the thread's purpose in any way.

    I know because it makes me feel uncomfortable and I'm one of the more BOLD people when it comes to confessions.

    Coincidentally, I had plans to come back and be more attentive to the posts after my hitch offshore and want to toss out a possible idea that may or may not take depending on how it's received.

  18. #8898

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Conversations pop up where the spark currently is and most people just react to the ebb and flow.

    It's not really something i tend to notice much since it just wanes and eventually disappears on it's own.

    And to me this organic way it makes new paths really makes this forum feel alive.

    But well since i don't really have any strong convictions behind my thoughts and this something you guys obviously care deeply about i'll try to contain myself and resist the urge tl follow the spark into this thread.

  19. #8899

    Default Re: Confession Session

    I think you have the right idea, wolfwood. I don't have anything against casual chit-chat, even in this thread, I just disagree with Foolio's assertion that it's constructive.

  20. #8900

    Default Re: Confession Session

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Kenny View Post
    I think you have the right idea, wolfwood. I don't have anything against casual chit-chat, even in this thread, I just disagree with Foolio's assertion that it's constructive.
    The only thing I actually said was that it created a better atmosphere. Obviously that's only true as long as people aren't insulting each other. Why does it make you feel uncomfortable? Is it because you don't want to bring down a light conversational mood with some serious confession? I stand by my view that if you have read over posts and have any familiarity with the people here, that makes no sense. I have never seen someone be flat-out disrespectful to anyone who jumps in to post what this thread was created for. I do think organic conversation should be allowed, as long as somebody doesn't come in and blatantly start an off-topic chat. If I just randomly posted "who likes pizza?" that would not be a good post.

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts