+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixar movies

Default Re: General Pixar Thread

Sometimes it works to the benefit of the movie and sometimes to the detriment. The dogs were pretty much the latter since kids are going to eventually outgrow that sort of thing and become annoyed with it.
    That's not entirely true, since I've talked to many adults who liked Dug (i mentioned THE SQUEAKQUAL in a bad way once and my aunt and uncle both swore that it was a good movie)

there is nothing wrong with the dogs in up

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Dug was a good dog, the other dogs sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    That's not entirely true, since I've talked to many adults who liked Dug (i mentioned THE SQUEAKQUAL in a bad way once and my aunt and uncle both swore that it was a good movie)

there is nothing wrong with the dogs in up
    Dug was okay and even funny at times though the advertising around him got annoying. Even Alpha and the other two were alright, but they went too far with the bit overall. I was actually referring to the dogs in airplanes gag in particular anyway.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Dug was okay and even funny at times though the advertising around him got annoying.
    that's why i avoid watching commercials and promos and junk lol

the biggest problem with UP was that the film was set in the middle of a jungle without people, which limited the number of human characters to 3

given you've got a house and a bird who don't talk, there's not much communication going on on the hero side of things, and a slave army of dogs isn't going to say anything worth hearing

frankly i'd rather the film have been about ellie and carl going on whirlwind adventures, since ellie is probably the best pixar female lead since ... jessie i guess

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Yeah, it's always a good plan and you can't fault the film for it anyways, really, since marketing is unrelated.

frankly i'd rather the film have been about ellie and carl going on whirlwind adventures, since ellie is probably the best pixar female lead since ... jessie i guess
    I was thinking about it once and if you hypothetically stripped "marketable" and "have something for the kids" from a film like UP, the end result sounds pretty awesome.

Imagine an Up where the flashback to Carl's life actually stretches throughout the entire film, with slight modifications.

It's a testament to Ellie's characterization that the small time we see with her was easily the film's strongest pieces.

Of course hypothetical because that'd never happen BUT IT'S NEAT TO DREAM
    Last edited by Pochipochi; November 17th, 2010 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    To everyone refusing to see Cars ever based sheerly on principal and your preconceptions... at least WATCH it once before you forever assume its terrible.
    See, I've seen this movie. I see every Pixar movie in the theaters at least once. And I've seen it several times on the Premium Movie channels (they play the hell out of any movie they get)

I soundly hate that movie.

It may absolutely not be your thing, and its considered by most to be Pixar's worst... but that's still better than most movies out there. Had it been a movie about an actual human race car driver, with a human cast, but exactly the same plot otherwise for the most part...

Well then it would be Doc Hollywood. But there's stuff there to appreciate if you can get past the freaky designs and world that makes no sense.
    THAT is my problem. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'd seen Doc Hollywood before I saw Cars, but when I went in there and saw, POINT-FOR-POINT The EXACT same plot as Doc Hollywood, I was so disappointed it's not even funny. Pixar. The people who made Toy Story, The Incredibles, and Monsters Inc. just stole an entire plot of a movie from someone. From a company whose motto was always "Story First", it just upset me so much.

For any of you who haven't seen Doc Hollywood, let me recap the plot for you:
    Hotshot young doctor wants to head fo Beverly Hills for a better, more showy life down there as a plastic surgeon. (Hotshot young racecar wants to head to LA for a big race that will get him a better, more showy life with Dinoco as his sponsor)
    As he's leaving to head down there, we find out he has no friends in the form of them giving him a cake that calls him an Asshole. (As he's heading down there, we find out he has no friends in the form of having nobody go give his tickets to)
    He crashes his car in the heartland, destroying parts of the town. As Penance, the judge of the town sentences him to community service working in their hospital. (Same, but "Fixing the Road")
    He's initially upset, but as time goes on, he begins to come to appreciate the small town, and begins to fall in love. (This is the exact same in Cars)
    A Boy ends up sick and he doesn't treat the kid's problem right. He was about to have the kid air-lifted to a different hospital for surgery when the Doctor in the town offers a simple solution and says "Just give the kid a Coke". Michael J. Fox thinks the guy is crazy, but when they do it, it ACTUALLY works. (He ends up being a bad racer, and doesn't know how to turn on dirt. when Doc Hudson offers a simle solution "Turn right to go left". Lighting McQueen thinks the guy is Crazy, but when he sees it done, it turns out it ACTUALLY works. Even if he failed the first time)
    He finishes his community service and reluctantly heads out to California (same in both)
    He is surprised to find, LO AND BEHOLD, the doctor from the small town was somewhat of a bigshot. He's sent in a letter of reccomendation that got Michael J Fox the job he wanted. (He is surprised to find, LO AND BEHOLD, the Judge from the small town was the "Hudson Hornet", a big shot. McQueen needs a pit crew and chief to run the final race, and so he's come and is acting as McQueen's Pit Chief)
    In the end, he decideds to go back to the Small town.
    It's almost exactly the same movie. Which disappointed me about Pixar. The only other time they even got CLOSE to doing that was A Bug's Life. The basic Setup of A Bug's Life is the same as Three Amigos. Entertainers are mistaken for heroes and are asked to save a community from jerkwads trying to mess with them. But after the same basic setup, the movies' plots go in DRASTICALLY different directions.

In Three Amigos, the Amigos actually try to fight the bad guy (Thinking they're just acting) and accept their praise when they succeed in scaring (confusing?) them away. In Bug's life, they come out as being frauds to Flick almost immediately after they figure out what's going on. In this film, the entire colony finds out they're fakes before Hopper even shows up. And the general plot takes a completely different direction.

Not so with Cars, it's the exact same movie. And I expected a lot more out of Pixar.

Its actually the film that convinced me Pixar could do no wrong. I went in assuming I was going to HATE it... and while I didn't come out loving it, I came out satisfied by it. I've made it a point to hit all their theatrical releases since.
    Funny, it's the film that convinced me that the Law of averages affects everyone, including Pixar. They had to make a bad movie eventually. I just see it as them getting their one bad movie out then.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

I just saw Toy Story 3 and Up, terrific films, as always. Only Pixar film I'm not caught up with at this point I believe is WALL-E.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Toy Story 2 > Finding Nemo > WALL-E > Toy Story > Monsters Inc. > Up > The Incredibles > A Bugs Life > Cars >> Toy Story 3 >>> Ratatouille

I used to rate the original TS pretty low, but after rewatching it I've discovered it's a good film. A very good film in fact, far better than Bug's Life.

Cars isn't as bad a film as I originally thought, just...completely predictable, and somewhat cheesy.

I'm impressed by the sequel's trailer, though.

And about the TS3 rating - I don't feel this film should have even been made. It wasn't as imaginative as the previous two films, and was boggled down by the same "Pixar problems" of WALL-E and Up. I'm not going to let the powerful emotional bits excuse the film from being weak overall.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

You can also make a case for Lion King simultaneously being a rip off of Hamlet AND Jungle Emporer Leo.

King Kong is a remake of... King Kong. 10 Commandments is a remake of... 10 Commandments. Little Shop of Horrors to Little Shop of Horrors. But they bring different things to the table, different effects, ideas, characterizations, actors, action, music, editing and so stand on their own. Even the movies that follow the exact same beats and basic story can be incredibly different.

EVERY story has been told, its about what you bring to the table to make it your own that's interesting. And in Cars' case... making them cars and focusing on racing and stunning visuals is what they brought to the table.

And Bugs life owes about as much to Seven Samurai as it does Three Amigos.

[youtube]gLHwbukUU3c[/youtube]
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

i thought i made a huge post somewhere about why Wall-E is the greatest pixar movie ever made, but i cant find it

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

i thought i made a huge post somewhere about why Wall-E is the greatest pixar movie ever made, but i cant find it
    The ending scene with Eva and wall E was great. Something so symbolic, yet subtle about the spark between them both made it just that much more secial.

Personally I don't know what my favourite/top rated is. In truth I doubt it would be Wall E, though its high on the list. Probably a step or two behind UP.

I think its really interesting that apparently, for a long time in Wall-E's production, Eva is the one that got beat up in the end... and it took them a while to realize it needed to be Wall-E instead.

Even with my problems with the second half, still a fantastic amazing film.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

You can also make a case for Lion King simultaneously being a rip off of Hamlet AND Jungle Emporer Leo.
    It all comes from expectations really. At the time the Lion King came out, it was in the middle of Disney's Animation Renaissance. If you look at all of the movies, every single one with the exception of the Rescuers: Down Under is an adaptation of a classical story. And what's more, the filmmakers were completely up-front from the beginning about saying the story was based off the Story of Joseph and Moses from the Bible as well as Hamlet. When a company's entire image is based around adapting very old classical literature into animated films with talking animals, when they do another one of those, it's just more of the same.

Also, I'm talking entirely about Plot. Cars was gorgeously animated, no denying that. As for the Kimba controversy... I didn't know about that before seeing it, so maybe that sways me a little, but it is pretty blatantly obvious now that they took a few visual elements from Kimba, but the plot is almost completely different.

Again, it comes from expectations. When watching making of stuff for all their movies, they really talk about "Story First". That "Story drives the creative Process". With a company who is so enamored with making sure their stories are so good, it comes like a slap in the face when they just give a facelift to, and COMPLETELY steal from another film.

King Kong is a remake of... King Kong. 10 Commandments is a remake of... 10 Commandments. Little Shop of Horrors to Little Shop of Horrors. But they bring different things to the table, different effects, ideas, characterizations, actors, action, music, editing and so stand on their own. Even the movies that follow the exact same beats and basic story can be incredibly different.
    Now you're just bringing a completely different set of films to the table. They didn't call this "Doc Hollywood With Cars" or something. It was never said, at any point during production that they were "Remaking" Doc Hollywood. Companies are always upfront about Remakes. They usually either share the same title, or have a title that evokes the original's title. Basically, if anyone went in to see Peter Jackson's King Kong and expected to see a wildly different plot, the were clearly not paying any attention to... anything involved in the marketing.

If they'd MARKETED Cars as a "Remake of Doc Hollywood", then I probably wouldn't have had a problem, because I'd be going into the film thinking "Ok, Pixar's pulling a new play out of their book and remaking another film." But they didn't.
    I've always expected a lot more originality from them... and so far, Cars is the ONLY film they have EVER stolen from point-by-point.

EVERY story has been told, its about what you bring to the table to make it your own that's interesting. And in Cars' case... making them cars and focusing on racing and stunning visuals is what they brought to the table.

And Bugs life owes about as much to Seven Samurai as it does Three Amigos.
    I'm talking entirely about plot. Again, Pixar is a studio that repeatedly states that "Story comes first" and "The Story drives the rest of the movie". All Cars brought to the table was a thematic change. They were cars instead of people and the main character was a racer instead of a doctor. That's it. The rest of the movie was the same point-for-point.

It just really rubs me the wrong way...

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

I think its really interesting that apparently, for a long time in Wall-E's production, Eva is the one that got beat up in the end... and it took them a while to realize it needed to be Wall-E instead.

Even with my problems with the second half, still a fantastic amazing film.
    But the second half followed the almost evolutionary breakthrough of the captain.

Admittedly I would have liked to have seen the onboard computer and captains fight to be a little more interesting/thought out.

Side note: I had no idea about eva's original story. Kind of glad they fixed that one in the end. Is it a deleted scene or was that back when the story guys were still at the drawing board?

it's on the behind the scenes in the dvd extras

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

I know Wall-E is probably my favorite movie by Pixar. It's not perfect by any means, but I like the story and the overall message of the film. Plus I love that the most sympathetic characters in the film are robots. Non-human protagonists are pretty common for Pixar, but it's still nice to see a movie which depicts AI in a positive light.

I don't know what to say about Wall-E, really, after "I hated the fat people and they brought a great film down." Because it wasn't completely unnecessary and it established more on EVA. All of Wall-E was justified and with a purpose. They're a good company and know what they're doing and how to round out a film.

It's just not the film I would've preferred it to be, since the space ship full of fat people didn't have to be there and I didn't like where it went, but a lot of things don't have to be there for movies so it's not so much critique as just preference. You didn't need to give the robots "makers", or creators. You especially didn't really need people on the ship. EVA's purpose could've been fulfilled as an assignment from humans long gone and a robot just continuing to follow orders. But that's basically getting away from children's film, since yes I get why there were human beings in it.

So yeah, I'll never like it above mid-range Pixar films.

And this is coming from a robot/space fanatic.

But at least I can say that it wasn't because there was something actually wrong with it.
    Last edited by Pochipochi; November 17th, 2010 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    As for the Kimba controversy... I didn't know about that before seeing it, so maybe that sways me a little, but it is pretty blatantly obvious now that they took a few visual elements from Kimba, but the plot is almost completely different.
    Lion King was pretty heavily ripped from Kimba. In house they even called it a Kimba remake early on... though obviously in later press they said "What, no? Never heard of it!
    http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm
    The character design, (Simba was white in the early production) pit of thorns, bug eating, evil uncle with a scar, pride rock, father in the clouds, wildebeest stampede, lots and lots of visuals...

Anyway, I'm not going to defend Cars too heavily, I'm just tossing out the note to those that haven't seen it at all, to give it a chance before forever judging it because there is a lot of good stuff in it.

(And I don't remember Doc Hollywood having a dramatic action race sequence at the end)

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Side note: I had no idea about eva's original story. Kind of glad they fixed that one in the end. Is it a deleted scene or was that back when the story guys were still at the drawing board?
    I think it was in the commentary, and probably the bonus features. They had a lot of trouble with the ending apparently, because there was no real danger to Wall-E, he could always have parts replaced. And then they got to the idea of him being the one that racks up tons of injuries and losing his personality at the end, apparently pretty close to the end of production.

man you know what actually, I take it back, I do feel like the tone-shift to Fat Assholes in a Spaceship was drastic enough compared to its beginning that it damaged Wall-E. It's less that it's not the film that I wanted and more that FUCK FAT PEOPLE

You really couldn't avoid the damn ads for it if you watched any television at all though. I'm pretty sure that ads for UP even cropped up during Mythbusters and Rescue Me; they advertised the living hell out of it.

the biggest problem with UP was that the film was set in the middle of a jungle without people, which limited the number of human characters to 3
    What would the problem with that be though?

As is, there were still only seven speaking characters even with the four primary dogs added in and a lot of their dialogue was the same thing being said by the villain anyway about catching the bird.

I guess that's part of what bothers me about the second half of the film is that the first half sets up a voyage that is at based on an attempt at fulfilling promises that could not be kept as intended and the second half has a lot of wacky shenanigans going on. So you go from regret at lost chances to, well, dogs in fighter planes.

If it was a light-hearted romp from the start, then the oddball stuff in the second half would probably have worked better.
    Complicating things since 2009.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information