+ Reply to Thread
Page 125 of 244 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 135 175 225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 4880

Thread: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Default Re: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Even the books run into some of that, with characters mostly moving at the speed of plot.

Or not at all as may be the case with Tyrion and Dany.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

I don't think it's established until midway through ADWD that two years have passed since Robert showed up at Winterfell.

Then you have Littlefinger and Varys possessing magical time jetpacks and the fact that everyone is way too young (jesus, Tyrion is supposed to be in his mid-20s? And Ned's only 33?)

Martin has admitted since the show started that the show was right to cast the kids older, and to have the longer timescale to account for olden times travelling speed. I understand his thinking on that,
    People married younger and died younger back then. 40 was old. But still.

Also makes the entire war a bit nastier to have it drawn out longer. And makes the original planned 5 year time skip a bit, well... bigger.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Martin has admitted since the show started that the show was right to cast the kids older, and to have the longer timescale to account for olden times travelling speed. I understand his thinking on that,
    People married younger and died younger back then. 40 was old. But still.

Also makes the entire war a bit nastier to have it drawn out longer. And makes the original planned 5 year time skip a bit, well... bigger.
    It's just really goddamn surreal to think that Jaime and Ned are in the same generation. Also that everyone being <18 during Robert's Rebellion raises a few questions.

CNN reporting that ISIS has nearly captured King's Landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    CNN reporting that ISIS has nearly captured King's Landing.
    Self-declared "High Sparrow" has released a video recording Poor Fellow's defacing statues and busts of Tywin Lannister, declaring them "idolatry"; populace of King's Landing oddly satisfied by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    It was actually established a couple seasons ago that time is fliwing on a generally 1 season = 1 year timetable. Thats why I can buy that Tyrion has circumnavigated the globe already. But there are glaring issues, like Gilly's forever-baby and Bran taking two years to get to the north
    Oh no, you're right. Funny, I didn't even think about that, haha. It might help if they age him up a couple of years next season.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Also, here's apparently the casting list for next season. It doesn't specify names, but it's obvious who some of the characters are from the books as the page points out:
    http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of...eres-the-list/

List in spoiler. I'll let the other posters in the thread determine if it's worth being spoiler-tagged or not though it's also on the site though I'll mention book events below.
    Spoiler:

Euron Greyjoy: Probably to be an enemy to Daenerys, especially with the dragon horn.
    Randyll Tarly and Family: Looks like Sam might have more of a role next season.
    Septon Meribald: Provides a contrast compared to the current sparrows.
    Possible flashback of Ned and his family: R+L=J.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Spoiler:
    Septon Meribald: Provides a contrast compared to the current sparrows.
    Book spoilers

Spoiler:
    More importantly, RETURN OF THE HOUND.

At this point, its anyone's guess. there's a handful more things to do from the last book and then....?

Spoiler:
    The last three before the kids would make me think of Griff. That's a weird trio.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Spoiler:
    The last three before the kids would make me think of Griff. That's a weird trio.
    Spoiler:
    "Mixed race" though suggests either someone actually from Essos or Dorne.

...Darkstar?

I dunno about ya'll but I really like the Sparrows plot. It coincides with too many of my favorite history things.
    A dash of Cultural Revolution, a bit of Spanish Inquisition, a tad of Puritans in the English Civil War stuff, maybe a tip of ISIS.

Crazy mass movements fascinate me tldr.

Does anyone think Jonathan Pryce's threat to Olenna was that maybe the Sparrows have made inroads with like the peasantry in the Reach? That her idea of holding the capital hostage agriculturally won't work because of that?
    Last edited by Monkey King; May 26th, 2015 at 05:16 PM.

It is one of the few things in the show that terrifies me.

They aren't supposed to be this zealoty though.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    They aren't supposed to be this zealoty though.
    Considering the examples I listed from rl they're pretty tame so far.
    When they spread vastly across the face of the whole Westoros causing average people to mass take part in purges and violence we'll reach the Cultural Revolution.
    When they start up vast networks of torture and ethnic cleansing of the North for still holding onto non-Seven practices they'll reach the Inquisition.
    When they take political power, do more ethnic cleansing, and chop off Tommen's head they'll reach the New Model Army/Cromwell Parliament.
    And ISIS welp that's visible to anyone who just watches the news.

The question is: How could this ordeal be resolved? I mean, I can't imagine the Tyrells having enough to not only kill the High Sparrow but to quell the entire movement to a halt?

God, in case King's Landing wasn't going to be in a mess enough as it is with Stannis, Danerys, and the White Walkers all making their way over in due time.

The little Kid King grows some hair on his balls, calls the guards, and kicks them out of the realm. I mean, hell, they took his mother. He has to do something.
    Everything's Eventual...

This isn't the first time the common folk in the south have banded together under religion during tough times. It's apparently sort of regular that the peasantry resort to fanaticism when the monarchy is doing a shit job of holding up it's end of the bargain (the roads aren't safe for pilgrims because Cersei rounded up every available guardsman for the Red Keep, Septs are being looted [by the Lannister side, no less], etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Does anyone think Jonathan Pryce's threat to Olenna was that maybe the Sparrows have made inroads with like the peasantry in the Reach? That her idea of holding the capital hostage agriculturally won't work because of that?
    The Reach peasantry absolutely adore the Tyrells, especially Marge, so it would take a bit of work for the High Sparrow to stir shit up with them. Then again, the High Sparrow doesn't really seem to be looking to stir shit up, just crack down on things.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    The question is: How could this ordeal be resolved? I mean, I can't imagine the Tyrells having enough to not only kill the High Sparrow but to quell the entire movement to a halt?

God, in case King's Landing wasn't going to be in a mess enough as it is with Stannis, Danerys, and the White Walkers all making their way over in due time.
    The Faith Militant problem will likely not be solved peacefully. They were disbanded the first time only after a lot of fighting.

The smart thing for the Tyrells to do would be to admit to the charges depending on how severe the mother's mercy is. I suspect lying isn't that bad but Loras might have a problem. He could request a trial by combat like Tyrion did and if his reputation as a fighter prevails he could win and then just never go back to King's Landing.

Each region could try to curb them so they don't spread out from King's Landing and just leave it a Royal problem. I doubt they would get much support in places where the smallfolk are happy.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information