+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Xenoblade Chronicles

Default Re: Xenoblade Chronicles

So does this game have a main plotline like Xenoblade Chronicles, or is it just various open-world tasks?

From what I understand, it does, but the non-preset character thing kind of renders it an afterthought like DQ9. At least, that was the criticism from Japan when it first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobiyopi View Post
    It's out. I played for many hours, but for the most part i just run around exploring. This is how open world games should be, great new worlds to discover, crazy wild life from new kind of bugs to dinosaurs to any kind of lifeforms we never saw before. I mean there can be any kind of worlds to explore sure: from medieval fantasy to generic cities to alien planets, but the latters have the potential that the formers lack, and it's really glorious to see how Monolith pulled it off a second time.

I loved Witcher's 3 open world but compared to this there is no contest, especially considering how well the game runs, without bugs or glitches like in other open worlds. It's also astonishing since it's on a wii u and really shows how you can make the best of even "underpowered" hardwares, but they pulled it off even with the first game so it's no surprise.

Hope that others will play it, and if not oh well
    So relieved to hear the open world is amazing, I was shocked at how big the one on Wii was. Yeah, there were technical limitations but I found myself in awe in so many places: Satorl Marsh (at night, of course), Gaur Plains, The mechonis from the top of Alcamoth, etc. And seeing how the graphics look on Wii U? *Swoon*

My copy isn't coming until late next week, but I'm so excited to play this. My fear is that once I start, I may never go back and finish Chronicles on the Wii (and after making so much progress!), due to how much better X looks!

Unfortunately, I have work tomorrow, but I got to play a little bit and I'm really happy with how it feels so far.

Got to make my character and then while in the prologue I had that joyful, rare experience nowadays where I had to figure out how fights work best instead of having the game hold my hand. It was intimidating at first but now I'm just really fucking psyched about all the stuff I was able to see and figure out. Hopefully tomorrow work goes by quick and I can get back home and get more into it ^^

I watched my friend play a bit and we spent 30 mins messing around on the character screen and it was great. Game looks gorgeous and it was fun to just run and jump off of things. I'm not getting it until christmas though but i can't wait!

Running around is a lot more fun this time around which I greatly appreciate. I'm very curious what the game has in store for me as I've been avoiding spoilers like the plague, so I'm very much looking forward to the rest. I would really like to see that skell fanfiction.

NNID: Panekai

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

How important is it to have played the previous game ?
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    How important is it to have played the previous game ?
    About as important as it is to play Final Fantasy I to play the others. Similar species, themes and crystal-equivalents but it is basically in a new universe. There are little minor callbacks specifically to please people who played Chronicles but that is it from what I have seen.

I still need to play the original but its so expensive... and I have a huge pile of other things to do. Sigh...
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The Wii version is virtually impossible to get anymore, but the 3DS version is like $40 and quite easy to find. And it's the exact same game as far as I know.

I think I actually prefer the 3DS version because playing SD console games is a lot harder for me than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Urouge View Post
    The Wii version is virtually impossible to get anymore, but the 3DS version is like $40 and quite easy to find.
    The NEW 3ds version you mean.

Not buying a new console just for that.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

It sounds like an amazing game :(

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The NEW 3ds version you mean.

Not buying a new console just for that.
    Just for that? No sir. The 3DS has lots of great stuff, especially in the JRPG market. Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, etc. I might personally get a 3DS for Awakening alone. But it's your time and money, not mine.

Anyway, I probably won't have a chance to get to the new one until January, but it looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Urouge View Post
    Just for that? No sir. The 3DS has lots of great stuff, especially in the JRPG market. Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, etc. I might personally get a 3DS for Awakening alone. But it's your time and money, not mine.

Anyway, I probably won't have a chance to get to the new one until January, but it looks really cool.
    I *already* have a 3DS, I'm not buying a new NEW one for the one game. Yes obviously if I didn't already have one it'd be a no brainer.

That's been my complaint all along about it.

Oh, I see. Well you can take solace in the fact that the 3DS version is driving down the price of the Wii version, then. Seems to be around $50-70 these days. It's a far cry from the $100 pricetag of two years ago.

The original came out on virtual console for Wii u in Europe a couple months ago, it's always possible we get it eventually once Nintendo feels confident they don't need it to push new 3DS sales.

Also, it really is completely unnecessary to play it to enjoy X. Even time wise it's not impossible to do missions for a couple hours each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Also, it really is completely unnecessary to play it to enjoy X.
    But the original is supposed to be a great game in its own right, is the thing! I want to play it!

Even time wise it's not impossible to do missions for a couple hours each day.
    And when you have a giant pile of like a dozen rpgs to play... sigh. it all adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    But the original is supposed to be a great game in its own right, is the thing! I want to play it!
    It's a good game, but I personally had two big issues with it.

1. The overworld is too vast. Going from place-to-place often felt tedious to me.

2. The battle system is convoluted and I often felt I wasn't in control of what was going on.

The rest of the game is fine for the most part, but those two things really hurt it for me and I don't think it's the amazing game everyone makes it out to be. I dunno, maybe open-world games just aren't for me.

See, I normally hate open world but the battle system in this game and the sheer beauty of everything has me on the hook. Usually other open worlds are pretty lifeless and dark and boring, but this one actually feels alive.

Also, the more I learn about the combat system the more fun it gets. You get into a nice battle flow when you start chaining arts and responding to soul voices.

I'm just starting to play but I bought the limited-edition guide thinking for a massive game it would make a good collectibles reference. It's pretty garbage though. It has an enemy list where it lists their drops, but no way to look up a list of drops and where to find them (yay going through hundreds of enemies and checking for the drop you want?). It also only tells you what continent a monster is, not where on the continent. It also has ZERO information about the different types of weapons, armor, or augments you can get. Anything related to gear and shops, the guide doesn't have a word on. Now it came with a free e-guide copy and I checked that, which for some reason DOES cover those things. But it's all very clumsy, poorly organized, and poorly searchable. Even the maps are weirdly organized and not that useful. It's basically a crap guide.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information