+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 60 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast

Thread: General Ninja Turtles thread

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Default Re: General Ninja Turtles thread

Glad to see we're back to blaming Micheal Fucking Bay: Raper of Childhoods(tm) again.

Glad to see Gekko knows how to turn "Fanboy" off.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Looking up IMDB it looks like Karai is in this too, and she's Asian, and yes there is Baxter Stockman and yes he IS Black. God, Michael Bay, where are you going with this? You can't do this half-hearted.
    Whoa wait, whitewash? Did everyone forget Baxter was white before?

FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

Baxter Stockman is originally African-American in the comics, which trumps the cartoon. Although yes, to most of our memories the cartoon prevails.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Baxter Stockman is originally African-American in the comics, which trumps the cartoon. Although yes, to most of our memories the cartoon prevails.
    Gotcha, see I've never read the comics. So my first memories of Stockman was that. In that case I can see why it might bother some people, but this doesn't bug me as much if Fichtner turned out to be Baxter.

They also did make Baxter Stockman a black man in the cartoon series from the early 2000's.

The 80's cartoon version of him was...weird.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    They also did make Baxter Stockman a black man in the cartoon series from the early 2000's.

The 80's cartoon version of him was...weird.
    Yeah the last 2 series have changed him back to black, but still my nostalgia and memories lie with that original cartoon.

When I saw Baxter in the 2000's cartoon for the first time, my first thought was "THEY CHANGED BAXTER?!?!" Where's the fly?!

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Hey in the new show he's black AND a fly!
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Fun fact: April was probably originally black too.

Look at how she was drawn, the hair, the tones, and the real life woman she was based off of (Eastman's girlfriend at the time)... but I think the very first image she was colored in had her as white, and it stuck... and then the cartoon turned her into an irish redhead, and well, that stuck even more.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I get people being put off by Shredder being white.

But B. Stockman is a mad scientist who's character isn't really reliant on any given race. It's been back and forth, so whatever color his skin ends up being doesn't really matter.

I'd be cool with an African American April. A reporter in New York is also not reliant on race. And anyone would fit better than Megan Fox.

I'm not really complaining about Baxter since he was whitewashed 25 years ago into generic scientist and thats the version more people are familiar with... its kinda whatever on that, the 80's cartoon is much bigger and more iconic than the original comic ever was and I can't blame anyone for tapping that as the launching board before going to the comics.

(Especially since the 2003 show was incredibly faithful to them)

Just kind of amusing when added onto Shredder losing his asian, and April pretty much *never* being black.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Fun fact: April was probably originally black too.

Look at how she was drawn, the hair, the tones, and the real life woman she was based off of (Eastman's girlfriend at the time)... but I think the very first image she was colored in had her as white, and it stuck... and then the cartoon turned her into an irish redhead, and well, that stuck even more.
    Yeah, this is true...April became white because of a production error. :) But even in the comics, she still struck me as being either latino or a mix, and a very, very different character in all aspects from her future representations...which makes me a little sad, that everyone wants to turn her into stereotypical hot white girly-girl (not that she wasn't attractive in the comics, just in a different way, in her style and attitude)

Baxter Stockman I really don't care about, his race was definitely not important, though I do like it when they stick closer to the comics than the cartoon.

To be honest I wouldn't mind Shredder being white in this film, if he was killed off by Saki by the end of it. But the he's supposedly signed on to play Shredder for three films just ruins it.

I'd be much more happy if he attempted to take over the armor, failed at killing the turtles, then is disposed of and replaced by Saki who was being imprisoned or threatened in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by DartG View Post
    But the he's supposedly signed on to play Shredder for three films just ruins it.
    He's WHAT? *throws computer down and stalks off*

Shredder isn't even that good of a villain? I mean, I know he's iconic to the turtles and all and sort of evolved into their main adversary because of the cartoon... but he was never that big a deal in any of the comics. (Hell, he was killed int he first issue) Foot clan succession was always a thing, but its a world (in all its itterations) that allows for aliens, dinosaurs, timetravel, crazy mutants, demons, whatever the hell it feels like.

A guy in some armor is just so dull compared to the scope and variety the Turtles world has open to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Shredder isn't even that good of a villain? I mean, I know he's iconic to the turtles and all and sort of evolved into their main adversary because of the cartoon... but he was never that big a deal in any of the comics. (Hell, he was killed int he first issue) Foot clan succession was always a thing, but its a world (in all its itterations) that allows for aliens, dinosaurs, timetravel, crazy mutants, demons, whatever the hell it feels like.

A guy in some armor is just so dull compared to the scope and variety the Turtles world has open to it.
    Yeah, the comics didn't make him iconic, that was Uncle Phil's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Triceratrons or bust.
    I love the Triceratons! I was so stoked when they had them on the last cartoon series, pretty close to the original story.

Dang... The new episode was really great.

Spoiler:
    I didn't expect Shredder to turn Karai into a mutant. The ending of the episode with Splinter was really sad.

I actually expected that to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I'm a snapping turtle, fool.

I will admit, Donnie sounded adorable when he said they were technically turtles.
    Last edited by DartG; July 5th, 2014 at 08:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information