+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: General Tenchi Discussion

Part Time Lurker OrangeNinjasSucks's Avatar

Default Tenchi Muyo! Discussion

Yeah I've searched for this and I seen the lack of Tenchi here. So I thought why not talk about it here since they announced a new Tenchi Spinoff:
    [YOUTUBE]xhiMFt0HfP8[/YOUTUBE]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhiMFt0HfP8
    It absolutely does not scream Tenchi Muyo to me....I think GXP and OVA 3 top this and that's hard to say....
    Last edited by OrangeNinjasSucks; August 27th, 2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: change the title of this thread

3DS FRIEND CODE: 0344-9293-6833

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Default Re: General Tenchi Discussion

Doesn't really scream Tenchi to me either. Though I feel that each successive series of Tenchi has been inferior to the one that preceded it, so maybe that's not too bad a thing(though Universe was still very good).

That said, I would love a series based around old man Yosho and his son in law.

The original OVA series was fantastic, full of depth, great animation and character development. Universe was a little more shallow, but it was a lot of fun and had great Ryoko stuff at the end. Movies 1 and 3 were also pretty good, though a lot of people hate the third movie. (I personally love it for the change in tone and maturity it brought.)

Pretty much anything else with Tenchi isn't worth mention. Tokyo was horrendous. GXP was so unconnected that it barely counted. Magical Girl Pretty Sasami I wasn't able to sit through at all.

OVA 3 had *moments* where it hit its full potential with cosmic level powered entities, (when that one badass blew a giant hole in the planet..) but was full of a LOT of bad, especially after like 15 years of delay... including sub par animation, which is inexcusable in an OVA. OVA 3 came off like it was only meant to be 1 or 2 episodes more to finish the old story, but they stetched it to 7, just cause. The entire thing with Tenchi's sister/mother was just... ugh.

That new thing looks interesting, but it doesn't look remotely at all Tenchi related. At all.

That might be a good thing since the Tenchi/Ryoko/Ayeka dynamic is never again going to be done as well as it was..
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Yeah I really enjoyed Tenchi Universe since it further went along with the TenchixRyoko but Tokyo sucked....I hated that chick there....

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Indeed. Universe was at it's best when it was being oddball silly, such as with those skits of when Ryoko and Ayeka were children. I always tended to believe Ryoko's stories...

And the quality of Muyo was never clearer then when I bought the new OVA series and watched Muyo first to reacquaint myself with the storyline. Going from a funny, heartening and well executed series into one which as robby says was very spotty was rather jarring.

What I'd like to see is some of the Manga Characters animated, such as Yume, Minagi, and Tama. A lot of neat characters were introduced in the manga but never in the Anime.... Oh well.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

Yeah, when I bought the OVA 3 set, i was a excited about a new Tenchi series but when I started watching it...Oh geez I haven't been this confused about an anime since....well since that ending to YGO:GX and to hear that Ryoko's VA was replaced kinda saddened me... but I haven't seen all of GXP so i can't really say much about it...But here's my view on the whole Tenchi Series'
    OVA1&2>Universe>OVA3>Tokyo>GXP?>TM Spinoff Seikishi

Quote Originally Posted by "Fire Fist" Ace View Post
    What I'd like to see is some of the Manga Characters animated, such as Yume, Minagi, and Tama. A lot of neat characters were introduced in the manga but never in the Anime.... Oh well.
    Manga like that is harder to spot these days without Suncoast...Ahh those were the days..... I still need 2 more NNFT Volumes to complete my collection.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Universe was my favourite, but there were elements from Muyo (the OVA) I liked better and wished they had been implemented into Universe instead. At that though, I hadn't seen the last part of the "Muyo" OVA and now I see it as not as great as I once though.

However, I did like the "alternate take" realities and situational comedies of the series. Tenchi was fresh, and still is a great show.

They should reboot the whole franchise already. :V
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    That's what they're doing now with Seikishi minus Tenchi and the gang...
    But I heard that Pioneer is re-releasing the 3 Tenchi movies in Blu-Ray with both English and Japanese tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Doesn't really scream Tenchi to me either. Though I feel that each successive series of Tenchi has been inferior to the one that preceded it,
    GXP is inferior to....Tokyo?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeNinjasSucks View Post
    to hear that Ryoko's VA was replaced kinda saddened me...
    For the third OVA (15 years later) they were able to get back all the English dub voices EXCEPT Tenchi and Ryoko... the two leads. What the hell was with that? (And Washu was REALLY out of practice in the role... )

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    What do you think Universe, Tokyo, GXP, Magical Girl Sasami were? Every one of those was a reboot, a reimagining from scratch, but with basically the same cast. The same thing happened to El Hazard at least twice.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by robbybevard View Post
    For the third OVA (15 years later) they were able to get back all the English dub voices EXCEPT Tenchi and Ryoko... the two leads. What the hell was with that? (And Washu was REALLY out of practice in the role... )
    What? I thought Tenchi's VA was there it sure did sound like him...Gonna check Wiki out..
    What do you think Universe, Tokyo, GXP, Magical Girl Sasami were? Every one of those was a reboot, a reimagining from scratch, but with basically the same cast. The same thing happened to El Hazard at least twice.
    He probably means a new spinoff completely different from those.... Which Shikishin whatever it is is doing now. I'm not liking this new spinoff (Maybe cause I'm an Ryoko fan?) since there's not even one NOT ONE character from the previous Tenchi Series's. If they're gonna call it TENCHI then at least have some Tenchi characters there, hell I'd even give that new spinoff A chance even if it only had Ayeka. But at least that Blu-Ray release might calm some old Tenchi fans down...whew I made a rant.. But that new spinoff isn't catching any intrest from me..

"The official Japanese website for Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, the Tenchi Muyo! anime spinoff that has been in development for a decade, began streaming the third 74-second advance promotional video on Tuesday.

The school romantic comedy with robot action elements is set in an alternate world called Geminar, where countries have fought endless wars with replicas of humanoid Seikishi weapons that they found in ancient ruins. 15-year-old Kenshi Masaki, the half-brother of Tenchi Muyo! protagonist Tenchi Masaki, is summoned from another world to Geminar. Tenchi Muyo! and Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure creator Masaki Kajishima is overseeing the animators at AIC and BeSTACK. Koji Yoshikawa (DNAngel, Baki the Grappler) will be directing off scripts supervised by Hideki Shirane (Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure, Girl's High, Zoids: Fuzors).

The first episode will premiere on Animax's pay-per-view service in Japan from March 20 to 31. The first of 13 planned episodes will be available for DVD rental in Japan on April 22. The retail DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases will be available in May."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/thum...c/A10393-3.jpg

So, basically, its a Tenchi spinoff is only loosley related the way the space cop series was.
    The hijack one of Tenchi's relatives and due to a character having the same last name but nothing else in common, they pretend its connected to cash in on the name recognition.

Well. Still looks kinda cool. But decidedly NOT Tenchi Muyo. Thats it sbeen in development for a decade means either it should be really awesome... or absolute shit. Fun!
    Last edited by Robby; July 17th, 2009 at 10:36 PM.

It says on ANN and Wiki(?) that it is the spinoff of Tenchi Muyo supposably Nobuyuki had either cheated on Achika/Kiyone or just had another kid and this new show is gonna be all about Tenchi's stepbrother...

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

What do you think Universe, Tokyo, GXP, Magical Girl Sasami were? Every one of those was a reboot, a reimagining from scratch, but with basically the same cast.
    I mean again.

One can never have too many Tenchi reboots.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

That new spinoff also needs more Harem...
    So Nobuyuki did knock it off with someone else....:laughter: Wonder who...

Yay! A Tenchi topic! This was one of my first animes, and the only "harem" anime I can stomach. Shame the OAV totally jumped the shark... At least other people seem to be doing a better job than Kajishima at using his own characters (don't get me started on how he resolved the love dodecahedron)... I mainly like Universe, movies 1 and 3 (agreed on the maturity movie 3 brought), and Okuda's manga.

Speaking of which, has Okuda's second Tenchi manga been translated, yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Shmeckie View Post
    Speaking of which, has Okuda's second Tenchi manga been translated, yet?
    Yeah it has, it's called All-New Tenchi Muyo! And it's continues after No Need For Tenchi manga. Unfortunatly sometime after Shonen Jump came out Viz stopped selling Tenchi manga.. But they have them online and I can tell you that from my volumes there isn't anything editted! Read NNFT Vol. 2 and you'll catch my drift...

I have the whole Tenchi Muyo Manga collection so happy <3 I enjoyed what the Manga had to offer even tho its not canon but uses Canon material and expands on it.

Also Kajishima continued or expanded on some stuff in doujinshi. Like teenage Sasami and Tenchi getting it on with Noike :X

There is like 3 novels that explain some stuff that need'd explaning like Washu's past and how some things came to be. Like how Kagato was a woman before splitting himself somesort like that.:X

Spoiler:

Where will you find...
    And how will you use...
    The forbidden fruit?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information