+ Reply to Thread
Page 139 of 139 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139
Results 2,761 to 2,769 of 2769

Thread: Non-Disney animation thread

Default Re: Non-Disney animation thread

I'm 6 episodes in with Maya and the three and...its good. Real good. Pretty spectacular I'd say. The audiovisual package is enough to warrant the price of admission, as beyond the eye-popping designs and locales, the choreography and pacing, especially of the fights is incredibly on point. It does neat animation tricks to enhance the impact of events in a novel way, and is overall just a fantastic showcase for what animation can do. It was argued int eh Cowboy Bebop thread that live action might be more expressive than animation, something I strongly disagree with, and Maya and the Three is part of the reason why.
    But beyond all that, the show is just achingly, refreshingly earnest. Theres jokes to be sure, but no meta-or referential humor in sight, and the series always allows characters to grieve, it doesn't undercut the pathos. Each character on the quest has its own heart-rending baggage, and the series makes sure to mine said baggage for drama and growth (it feels rather classic One Piece in that way).The plot has its tropes, but it plays them straight and executes them well, which is all that matters.

Overall, with Bojack, Klaus, Mitchells vs Machines, Shera, Centaurworld and now this Netflix is kinda an Animation power player now??

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Ouch no need to be soo sour Robby, here the trailer.
    Who is being sour? I was explaining why you hadn't convinced anyone to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I'm 6 episodes in with Maya and the three and...its good. Real good. Pretty spectacular I'd say. The audiovisual package is enough to warrant the price of admission, as beyond the eye-popping designs and locales, the choreography and pacing, especially of the fights is incredibly on point. It does neat animation tricks to enhance the impact of events in a novel way, and is overall just a fantastic showcase for what animation can do. It was argued int eh Cowboy Bebop thread that live action might be more expressive than animation, something I strongly disagree with, and Maya and the Three is part of the reason why.
    But beyond all that, the show is just achingly, refreshingly earnest. Theres jokes to be sure, but no meta-or referential humor in sight, and the series always allows characters to grieve, it doesn't undercut the pathos. Each character on the quest has its own heart-rending baggage, and the series makes sure to mine said baggage for drama and growth (it feels rather classic One Piece in that way).The plot has its tropes, but it plays them straight and executes them well, which is all that matters.
    This on the other hand has moved up my interest a few notches. I'll try to get to it sooner than later now.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Who is being sour? I was explaining why you hadn't convinced anyone to try it.
    Sorry I ended up taking more personally than I should, I'm not exactly a good pitch seller of mine or mine interest (as can be seen by how little threads I created on series I read that don't have one, the little niche bubble that are the ones or generally how few posts I have in this section advertising for a new series that caught my attention) since I think this is hindering my entrance in the job market I think I might be a tad trigger sensitive to it. But alas, no more I digress.

Watch Maya, is a wonderful passion project by El Tigre's creator that incorporates everything that makes him and his works unique.

Has anyone been watching Arcane on Netflix?

I've seen all episodes. I was pleasantly surprised. I expected the good visuals, heck, even great visuals, but wasn't ready for such great character development.

Spoiler:
    I was prepared to be sour that they wouldn't include Viktor, because he's not really a popular character (I haven't really watched the teasers/trailers/other promotional material), so needless to say, I was thrilled to see him being featured so prominently and in such sympathetic light. Jayce was another surprise, as I always saw him just as a typical handsome hero, who comes and saves the day, is super likeable etc, but he got way more depth.

Loving Caitlyn's new look and while her character ark is very predictable and kinda a run-of-the-mill, typical "rich kid wants to do good, but has realize that ideals don't really work in the real world and that their sheltered life might make their goals that much harder". Her chemistry with Vi was pretty nice.

And there's Jinx, of course. Again, didn't expect her to actually accidentally kill like almost her entire foster family, but I'm still not a fan of the "crazy, quirky girl with a traumatic past".

I can wholeheartedly recommend the series to anyone, regardless of their familiarity with the source material. Just for the animation alone; I was mindblown by how incredibly beautiful some scenes are, and the facial expressions are also superb. Everyone has such distinct eyes, and the animation makes use of them on the regular.

Finished Arcane, wonderful. Loved how they blended 2D and 3D, and loved how well structured the 3 episode arcs were.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    I

Spoiler:

And there's Jinx, of course. Again, didn't expect her to actually accidentally kill like almost her entire foster family, but I'm still not a fan of the "crazy, quirky girl with a traumatic past".

I can wholeheartedly recommend the series to anyone, regardless of their familiarity with the source material. Just for the animation alone; I was mindblown by how incredibly beautiful some scenes are, and the facial expressions are also superb. Everyone has such distinct eyes, and the animation makes use of them on the regular.
    On the
    Spoiler:

Jinx bit, i feel pity for her. I don't see her a quirky crazy girl with traumatic past, I see as a girl with such traumatic past that she develop serious psychological disorders. First parents die, than she's treated as the drag down of her found family of petty thieves, when she tried to help she ended dooming her found family and having her sister leash her sorrows on her, she develop a toxic codependency relationship with Slico based on un-mutual trust of others, she probably has PTSD on the night of the incident (her bombs and signature marking are the face of the monkey toy), she has abandonment issues with her sister, and she probably develop some kind personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Finished Arcane, wonderful. Loved how they blended 2D and 3D, and loved how well structured the 3 episode arcs were.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

On the
    Spoiler:

Jinx bit, i feel pity for her. I don't see her a quirky crazy girl with traumatic past, I see as a girl with such traumatic past that she develop serious psychological disorders. First parents die, than she's treated as the drag down of her found family of petty thieves, when she tried to help she ended dooming her found family and having her sister leash her sorrows on her, she develop a toxic codependency relationship with Slico based on un-mutual trust of others, she probably has PTSD on the night of the incident (her bombs and signature marking are the face of the monkey toy), she has abandonment issues with her sister, and she probably develop some kind personality disorder.
    Spoiler:
    I agree with most of your points (all of them, actually) and maybe I was a bit harsh in my first assessment of the character. I do feel she's well-written and has an interesting arc, and she's certainly not a typical "crazy for crazy's sake" girl. My prejudices tainted the experience somewhat (as I said, I was prepared to only like the show for the visuals), and even though my expectations were blown away (or up in this case), my personal taste still somewhat pushes me away from this kind of character.

If that makes sense.

I still find her in-game persona insufferable most of time, so that might be one of the reasons I'm have reservations about her.

I did enjoy the dynamic between her and Silco, as unsettling it was most of the time. Now that I think about it, the show really likes to explore parent-children relationships from a lot of different angles. Caitlyn-parent, Jayce-mother, Mel-mother, Vander-Vi+Powder+Mylo+Claggor, Silco-Jinx, Marcus-his daughter. Maybe some of these are stretching it...

Yeah I have absolute no knowledge of the game so I'm fresh on the characters.

That might actually make for a better experience overall. Well, I guess it depends on how fond you are of the characters ingame. I certainly got a boost out of one of my favourite characters being featured (Viktor).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information