+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wheel of Time (Spoiler Warning)

Default The Wheel of Time (Spoiler Warning)

Intro: A while back I would never have considered starting a thread for WoT, but after miscellaneous comments here and there I have come to realize that there are a good many people on this forum -- quite a few I enjoy talking to in particular -- that have read or are reading the series. Given the final book is due to release this year, I figure this is an appropriate enough time to start a discussion thread where we can help refresh each others' memory, discuss, theorize, speculate, and blabber about the expansive series thereof. In any case, I would much rather discuss this series with people I already know (to a degree), rather than joining another forum full of nerds. I couldn't find a thread related to this anywhere else, so hopefully this catches on and gets some good discussion.

My Experience: I started reading the books in my Senior year of High School (2003-2004). I picked up the first book and started reading at a slow pace, but once I reached the 12th chapter or so I couldn't put it down. I finished all of the books that were out (up to book 10) within three months, and found myself...torn. Well, I have now purchased all of the books in hardback and been reading them all over again -- a little bit slower -- with the original hope that I could make them last until book 12 was released. Yeah, well, that didn't work. I am currently on page ~500 of book 10 and will probably finish it this week. I have never read book 11, so I look forward to something new. Likely I will not even come back into this thread until I finish book 11, which will be in about...two weeks? At most. I love the series. I have the typical complaints about certain things in the story and certain portrayals of men and women, habits, etc, etc, but overall I love the series and am extremely impressed with Mr. Jordan's imagination, writing style, and skill. I look forward to Brandon's input as well, as I have followed his blogs this year and agree with most of his statements.

Purpose of Thread: Plain and simple, discuss the books in as much detail as desired. Pro's, Con's, characters, plot, plot holes, hates, loves, interests, theories, etc. I am going to assume anyone posting in here has either read all 11 books or doesn't mind getting spoiled, so do not worry about spoilers. If you want, use tags, if not --- consider everyone warned already.

History: For those of you unfamiliar with the series, Google it. No, but seriously, it is basically an ep-- *struggling* epic fantasy written by the late author James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under the pen name Robert Jordan [1]. The series is a little obese, having 12 books currently released, and the final in the making; each book averages a good 800 pages:

Hidden:
    0. New Spring
    1. The Eye of the World
    2. The Great Hunt
    3. The Dragon Reborn
    4. The Shadow Rising
    5. The Fires of Heaven
    6. Lord of Chaos
    7. A Crown of Swords
    8. The Path of Daggers
    9. Winter's Heart
    10. Crossroads of Twilight
    11. Knife of Dreams
    12. A Memory of Light (In Progress; Unreleased)
    Last edited by brennen.exe; January 25th, 2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Nice avatar ED.

Default Re: The Wheel of Time (Spoiler Warning)

Book 10 nearly made me throw the thing out of a moving vehicle. It drove me up the freakin wall how terrible that particular book was.

Thank god book eleven managed to redeem the series for me. I was beginning the think they'd never start to conclude the 50 bazillion plot threads that kept accumulating throughout the series.

I remember seeing a sprite comic for WoT that was pretty funny at times. I'll have to go search around and see if he ever updated it again.

LOVE AND PEACE

The Other White Meat Capt Haggis's Avatar

actually I never read all of book 10 or 11. I just kind of skiped to the imporent parts of both.

My personal favorite book was The Shadow Rising, mainly due to the focus on perrin. Though any part with mat is also a favorite.

What did you guys thing of New Spring? I never got around to reading that one. Mainly because I got most of the series at the used bookstore.
    Your daily heaping helping of haggis.

Hm?

Awww. Thread is fail?

@Tarrin: I know what you mean about book ten, but I don't think it is "terrible". Disappointing, in a way, since instead of touching upon things and moving forward, it sits on or drags out a few other issues. Probably my least favorite of all of them so far, but I am still enjoying it.

@Haggis: I liked New Spring. I mean, going in I knew how it would end (naturally), and I expected it to be fairly boring, but I actually really enjoyed it. It was interesting to get a more in depth view of life as an Accepted, as well as see the test for the shawl. Worth reading, IMO, especially since it is so short. Well, I say "short", but I only mean in comparison to.

@Greg: Don't spoiler lost for me!! I haven't started watching any of the series.

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

I dunno, I liked Book Ten for dear ol' Mat and the delightful flat-chested Empress girl. And apparently, I lied to someone about how many books I've read - I have read all of them. I found Book Eleven on my bookshelf, and I only remembered a few things about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Hahahahahahahahah, clever.
    I'm laughing a lot more than I should be.

Its a difficult series to discuss. Its so damn long with soooo much denseness to it, I don't forsee a whole lot of productive discussion coming along in this thread unless someone brings up a very specific point of discussion, especially not this late in the game.

I first started reading it in college back in 2000, and slowly digested it over many many busrides, taking nearly 2 years to catch up to whatever book was current at the time.

The series was/is good, thoguh it *really* suffers from splitting its attention over too many characters. Even in the first book there was Rand, Matt, Perrin Nynaeve, Egwene, and Morrain and Lan, were the leads initially, and then by the what.. third book? They'd split apart, all of them, going on their own quests and own plotlines. Which is fine and cool. (Perrin and Matt were my favorties along the way. I love wolf themes, and I also always enjoyed the Rand and Avienda material and am amused at the fact he is cursed/blessed to be with three women that absolutley love him.)

And with each of them split up, they gathered characters to them to drive their plots, usually 3-5 characters apiece, everone pickign up wivs or husbands... and then sde characters split off into their own chapters and stories where THEY had supporting characters... and so on and so forth. At some point there were literally hundreds of characters. How many random fodder Aes Sedai and Ashamen can one person keep straight in their head? And then even the dark overlord forsaken that had bene killed were reborn, etc. etc. just... too many characters, too much padding.

The pace slowed down to a crawl to deal with the ridiculous sized cast. I think the purest example of this was in book... 10 I think?... where the first 600 page were spent on ONE DAY, albiet from like 20 different viewpoint. Its just ridiculous. Book 11 thankfully managed to wrap up a lot of the plot threads that had been dangling for 3 or 4 books, and the final book has been pretty much promised at like 650,000+ words (1,300 pages) so hopefully it'll all wrap up fairly well, but I still assume there will be a ton of characters and plotlines left loose and in the ether. And thats okay, that sort of fits the theme of the series that there are no ends or beginnings. I think it could hav been a 7 or 8 volume series and have pretty much covered all the same ground and wrapped up long ago, and it would have been tighter for it.

Oh well. Here's hoping the 1,500 page finale kicks ass and is worth all the suffering and wait.

I kind of want to reread the whole thing one day after its done, its been almost 10 years since I read the first book after all... But thats a scary ammount of pages to go throug again. A SCARY ammount...

Honestly, even though its not as long and not as close to being finished, a Song of Fire and Ice grips me a lot better as a more realistic and more unpredictable series with better character focus.

But WoT is good. yeah, still good.

Oh, and "....crossed her arms beneath her breasts."
    Last edited by Robby; January 26th, 2009 at 10:06 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

*tries to think of intelligent discussion points to keep thread alive*

Did anybody find it weird how much spanking goes on in these books?

... Dang!
    Last edited by tarrin4ever; January 26th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

LOVE AND PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by tarrin4ever View Post
    *tries to think of intelligent discussion points to keep thread alive*

Did anybody find it weird how much spanking goes on in these books?

... Dang!
    and also folding of arms beneath the breasts! I swear, he had that on an automatic macro where he'd just hit F1 whenever a female character was displeased to get that particular reaction.

...and spanking. As many strong female characters as he had, there was definatley a ah... fetish there.
    Last edited by Robby; January 27th, 2009 at 10:03 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I think the series is better a second time through. I have read everything up to book 10 twice. You'd be surprised how much you forget or missed the first time around when they stretch over the years or are just...incredibly long. I personally think the development and characters are great despite the perspectives and length descriptions. I mean, with something of this scale you are bound to have shortcomings here and there, but despite all of the I have found each book to be interesting and satisfying. Though I agree with Brandon that the series is better suited for a straight through read without large gaps between the books. Which is, ultimately, why I thought I would make a thread. You forget so much in between and from the beginning that it would be a good way to refresh your memory for the final book without going back to read all the books again.
    Last edited by brennen.exe; January 27th, 2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Much braid tugging as well.

ah the wheel of time... started it years ago, then books weren't available in my langage and thus i had to start reading it in english... and it's a godamn hard english for a foreigner! so i lost track of the storyline and just stopped reading it (somewhere around book 7 or 8).

so yeah, i'll read it up again when everything is out in french. might happen in a bunch of years.

oh, and i sooo would like to see some tv show about it, considering how each and every aes sedai is a hottie in her way.

This sounds interesting, I may read it after I finish the Dark Tower series.
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

I loved this trilogy so much (and I knew by the time I first heard of it...when I the NY Times and book 10 was on it). Now I am patiently waiting for the last one

The American cover art is awful a true disappointment to such a great series.

Crown of Swords is IMO the most sex appealed one and has such great comedy (mostly Mat dealing with Tylin.)

Great Hunt is my favorite because of the incredibly bad ass climax and The Shadow Rising was my favorite when talking about plot.

The movie that might be coming makes me dread... a lot.

Tarrin: Is this that comic?
    Last edited by NamiGivesMeNoseBleeds; January 27th, 2009 at 06:53 PM.

Yep, that's definitely it.
    Last edited by tarrin4ever; January 28th, 2009 at 01:20 AM.

LOVE AND PEACE

That comic is so awful.

why do i love it?

Good ol' polygamist-in-training Rand. And his twin/quadruplet inducing sperm.

srsly, Jordan?
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Is it just me, or is that Trolloc sprite Storm Eagle from Megaman X??

Why, yes, yes it is.

But then, I think they're all mostly modified Megaman sprites.

The Other White Meat Capt Haggis's Avatar

actually I think it's storm eagle's head, but sigma's body.
    Your daily heaping helping of haggis.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information