+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Original Series Bojack Horseman

Default Netflix Original Series Bojack Horseman

OK, now that 2014's over and I've seen nary a mention of this show on these forums, I think I can safely say this is the most underrated* animation series of the past year, over yer Garden Walls, Korras and Steven Universes. Kind of understandable (I'll get to it's flaws soon) but still perplexing considering how gosh-darned awesome it becomes. And is.

So, this series by Netflix (and I am reminded yet again that I need to start watching Orange is The New Black one of these days) focuses on the (mis-)adventures of our titular protagonist, a washed-up sitcom star who wishes to go back into mainstream relevance, which leads to him hiring a ghostwriter to pen his memoir that will finally catapult him into fame (the right kind, mind you, not the one that focuses on him stealing muffins from pinnipeds or knocking single ladies over with dollar bills). (Those scenes actually have contexts they make sense in).

Oh, and this takes place in a world of Petting Zoo People** (with normal humans too) but trust me when this is actually one of the least weird parts of the premise. Pedantic biologists be warned.

It initially starts off as the weird kind of middle ground between Archer-style animated comedy/misanthropy and reflections and the barbs at Hollywood culture a la Entourage, the humor can get somewhat weak and awkward, maybe even reminiscent of Family Guy (heaven forbid D: ) in a few of the grossout jokes/cutscenes that are in the first few episodes that seem more obnoxious than smart.

Which is probably why it's got merely average Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic scores and critically mixed opinions. But don't take it as a barometer of the show's general quality, cause by the seventh episode (by which point, ahem, alot of critics didn't bother to freaking watch) it starts finding its footing and gets really good, especially when it focuses on and peers into not just Bojack's but also some other characters' lives, introspections of how they got here and where they'll go from there, with even some heavy and gut-wrenching scenes to boot towards the end.

So yeah, most underrated* animation series of 2014. I've binge-watched the entire thing and would like to discuss more but I'd think it better to keep to myself until I can gauge the consensus from esteemed members of these boards.

* Fine, fine, there's probably a more deserving, more unfairly maligned animated series of 2014 but so far I haven't seen or heard of it so why not go with this show for now?

** Sorry not sorry for linking to TVTropes.
    Last edited by Pachylad; January 1st, 2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: minor edits

Default Re: Netflix Original Series Bojack Horseman

One of the best series of 2014. You have to watch all the season to really appreciate it. Although i don't think a season 2 would improve it. I think it would be better to be autocontained. The great thing starts after episode 7. I wrote about it in a cultural site i have with friends http://terrar.io/2014/09/bojack-hors...es-un-caballo/ (it's in spanish):

Also for anyone wanting to get on it don't expect Simpsons or South park. Expect Daniel Clowes, Venture Brothers and Home Movies.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Aw yeah, that's awesome, Prismeru! I'll hit it up with Google Translate later in the day when I've got time.

Also, if we're going bring up comparisons, I'd say the one it best reminds me of is actually Moral Orel (though Venture Bros come close too, especially in regards to improving quality).

Spoiler:
    Bojack's life, his choices and personality is similar to that of Clay Puppington's; there's also exploration of depression in both series, though of different origins (celebrity lifestyle in the former, religion-based in the latter.) And of course, both series take really late to develop their great overarching plot, hell it took Orel two seasons!

Oh god, not google translate. I write bad enough as it is xD

Bojack Horsemen is a great show. I watch the entire first season of the series last summer with one of my friends. And it keep getting better with each episode. Mr. Peanutbutter is my favorite character in the series. The Christmas Speical was also great as well. I can't wait for Season 2 to come out.

I watched most of the first season with a bunch of friends when it first came out and was really underwhelmed. A few laughs here and there, but it felt like a really by the numbers 'adult cartoon'. Most people I've heard, though, have been saying the same thing about the ending, though, so I may have to give it another shot.

At the very least, I'm happy to see Netflix being another platform for animation and hope they get some more original cartoons.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I watched most of the first season with a bunch of friends when it first came out and was really underwhelmed.
    Yeah, emphasis mine. Were majority of the episodes you guys watched in the beginning? Even as someone who found the first few episodes even bordering towards hilarious, as I've mentioned above they have a tendency to turn people off and give a bad impression of the show.
    A few laughs here and there, but it felt like a really by the numbers 'adult cartoon'.
    Your description here again of said episodes isn't far off, like I said at its worst the humour can be akin to McFarlane fare of all things but once things settle down (by mid-season at least), boy does the emotional rollercoaster start.
    Most people I've heard, though, have been saying the same thing about the ending, though, so I may have to give it another shot.
    Oh please do. I've already mentioned Moral Orel as a similar show that developed an overarching plot out of what would be a tired premise in lesser hands, so since you've loved that show (or at least the third season I believe), you should have at least a liking for this one.

I watched the first episode when it came out and didn't really think much of it, but maybe I'll give it another shot.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

At the very least, I'm happy to see Netflix being another platform for animation and hope they get some more original cartoons.
    Same. It looks like Dreamworks is also debuting a few original series of their own on Netflix as well.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    Yeah, emphasis mine. Were majority of the episodes you guys watched in the beginning? Even as someone who found the first few episodes even bordering towards hilarious, as I've mentioned above they have a tendency to turn people off and give a bad impression of the show.

Your description here again of said episodes isn't far off, like I said at its worst the humour can be akin to McFarlane fare of all things but once things settle down (by mid-season at least), boy does the emotional rollercoaster start.
    Oh please do. I've already mentioned Moral Orel as a similar show that developed an overarching plot out of what would be a tired premise in lesser hands, so since you've loved that show (or at least the third season I believe), you should have at least a liking for this one.
    I don't think I saw the first few episodes, actually. It was the morning after a party and we just picked up from where the host was. I've got a friend, though, who said that the weak part was really the middle and enjoyed the beginning and end.

I don't think this is going to stack up to Orel (I have a lot of love for that show and the third season might be in my top five tv stories of all time), but I'm willing to at least give it the benefit of the doubt, that most people refuse to give Orel.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy 9000 View Post
    Same. It looks like Dreamworks is also debuting a few original series of their own on Netflix as well.
    Oooh, neat! Got any articles on this? Would love to read up on those.

It probably won't stack up to Orel, but most shows don't, especially when we're pitting this debut season up against that show's third season, which by the way is definitely one of the best seasons in animated history FWIW.
    Yeah, about that...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...sive/18358847/

3 of the 4 planned ones have already been released. Looks like they're not releasing the seasons all at once though, but rather 5 or so episodes at a time.

The ones currently out would be "Turbo FAST" (flash animated series based on Turbo), "All Hail King Julian" (a prequel series to Madagascar focusing on the lemurs on Madagascar), and a Veggietales series. A Puss in Boots series debuts January 16th as well (and they apparently have plans for 9 more series to be on Netflix by the end of 2016).

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

Damn. I guess more animation on Netflix is good in general, but I was hoping for something more than Dreamworks using it as a toilet.

I really enjoyed that Julien one. Simple, goofy, fun.

As for Bojack i watched it, found it enjoyable enough. But nothing mindblowing.

On the scale from one to Archer i'd say it's a five.

Someone pass me a link to watch Orel, please.

I will send you nudes if you watch Bojack. Give it an opportunity.
    Last edited by Prismeru; January 1st, 2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: No, not my nudes. Wait, you are into that?!

Moral Orel is up in its entirety on Adult Swim's site, but their website sucks. Balls. If you're okay with a bunch of sketch streaming sites, this place has links to them for all episodes.

This user also has the series up on their vimeo account.

Adult Swim's site hates me cause i'm mexican :( so i can't watch it there.

Bojack as a whole is enjoyable, but its far from perfect. I really like the cast, Wil Arnet and Alison Brie give me some of that! But the show felt like it was made by writers writing to writers.

Just finished watching through everything on Netflix. Definitely better as a whole, though not even close to the same realm as Orel. I guess the comparison is apt and it is only the first season, but I get the feeling that it's a little... self-gratifying? Like all the character revelations and realizations are just stated out loud without much nuance. Orel left me thinking about each character while Bojack's already written the feelings I'm supposed to have about them and put it in the script.

That said, the show's built some good characters that just need a lot more subtlety and definitely has more charm in that regard than I first gave it credit for, so I'll be looking out for the next season. Plenty of shows with weaker starts have surprised me before, so I'm hoping the writing gets together in time, though I'm honestly not sure where they can really go from here.

Valid points raised, Wagomu, and I'm glad you gave the show another chance! Of course its not going to be in the same realm of Orel for now, but as you've mentioned I have hopes for the writers to polish up the writing and create more satisfying later seasons.

Actually agree about your points about the character motivations, but I suppose I'm more forgiving given how much more embracing I am of the series. Like Silver said, I suppose it's because the show comes off more as writers writing for writers, giving less areas for investments into characters.

Even with the heavy-handedness of the writing, I still have my moments in the series which if not gut-wrenching do get thought-provoking:

Spoiler:
    Herb's speech to Bojack in the 8th episode is one such scene, one of the most devastating yet most deserving speeches I've heard.

Here's to hoping again they can indeed introduce more nuance in the show.

And now that we've established... uh, at least five people watching this show, which episode is your favorite? I have to go for a three-way between the seventh, eighth and eleventh (Princess Carolyn-centric, visiting Bojack's past and the drug trip episodes respectively), especially for some emotional scenes towards the end.

Spoiler:
    "You are... 40"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information