+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worst Anime/Manga Translation

Default Worst Anime/Manga Translation

I tried searching this and there was no results. So anyways, in here, you post whats the worst Anime dub and worst Manga translation.
    NOTE:Do not list the 4kids dub of One Piece, because everyone here knows its bad.

Worst Anime Dubs
    Dragonball Z and GT
    Megaman NT Warrior

Worst Manga Translation
    I don't know

Default Re: Worst Anime/Manga Translation

Worst Anime...
    Simple...Cardcaptors...
    I haven't seen the original, but from what I can tell, it may have been worst than 4Kids OP.
    If I think I'm insane, does it mean I'm not? Because a truly insane person wouldn't know that they are insane?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNimationRules View Post
    I tried searching this and there was no results. So anyways, in here, you post whats the worst Anime dub and worst Manga translation.
    NOTE:Do not list the 4kids dub of One Piece, because everyone here knows its bad.

Worst Anime Dubs
    Dragonball Z and GT
    Megaman NT Warrior

Worst Manga Translation
    I don't know
    Are you kidding me? Dragonball wasnt done that badly it could have been alot worse. I liked it. Plus it pretty much single handedly made anime popular in the states. Everyone I know watched that dub man.

Quote Originally Posted by gwar315 View Post
    Are you kidding me? Dragonball wasnt done that badly it could have been alot worse. I liked it. Plus it pretty much single handedly made anime popular in the states. Everyone I know watched that dub man.
    people tend to forget that, they also tend to forget that without out dragonball's influence there wouldn't be one piece or practically most popular shonen jump titles.
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

-Lots of bad translations
    -BGM Change(Fixed in the Boxsets)
    -Story Changes
    -Non Fitting Voices
    -Next Dimesion(Fixed in the Boxsets)

I'd have to say that dbgt was far worse of a dub than dbz, and dbz was completely fine to me. I didn't mind the bgm change or the next dimension thing a whole lot as I was like 10..none of that mattered as long as I enjoyed the show.

On the other hand, I absolutely hated Astro Boys dub, I was young but I just couldn't get into it.
    Sonic X, and of course I hated Digimon's first season.
    Last edited by DartG; November 8th, 2008 at 09:00 PM.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

One Piece's early translations come to mind for "worst translation". Perhaps not because of their general quality, which could have been worse, but by establishing the precedent of not translating common Japanese words like "nakama". Naming conventions have got to be the biggest local OP issue on this forum between the anime and manga translators.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

And most likely half of them can't stand it now

Quote Originally Posted by GEPPETTOSMONSTER View Post
    people tend to forget that, they also tend to forget that without out dragonball's influence there wouldn't be one piece or practically most popular shonen jump titles.
    I kind of doubt that.

And this

http://www.darkmirage.com/2007/10/22...lation-errors/
    Last edited by Sandai Mera; November 8th, 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandai Mera View Post
    You know, I seem to recall once seeing that guy make a blog about another fansub that was like, 10 times worse than that... And that's pretty disturbing.

The worst one I've seen, not counting One Piece... Dragonball Z. Seriously, I freaking hate that dub. There's so much stupid dialogue added in there, and sometimes the script is rewritten so badly that the entire original meaning is lost. (For instance, in the japanese version, the reason Vegeta hates Freeza is in fact because Freeza forced him to work for him all his life, which Vegeta couldn't stand, because it hurt his PRIDE. In the dub, he keeps going on about how he wants revenge because Freeza "Killed his father, his people, and turned him into a monster" or something like that, even though the Saiyans already WERE savage monsters to begin with, and they don't even care if their family gets killed. Oh, and the TV-special about Burdock is COMPLETELY different in the dub. Seriously, the dub-script is nothing like the japanese one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    One Piece's early translations come to mind for "worst translation". Perhaps not because of their general quality, which could have been worse, but by establishing the precedent of not translating common Japanese words like "nakama". Naming conventions have got to be the biggest local OP issue on this forum between the anime and manga translators.
    THANK YOU!!
    Every Time I say "Nakama Should be Translated" somewhere, I get attacked.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    THANK YOU!!
    Every Time I say "Nakama Should be Translated" somewhere, I get attacked.
    Well, can't stop fans from stupidly thinking that saying "Nami, you're one of us!" somehow loses the meaning that "Nami, you're my nakama!" has, I guess. Though I find the constant fancy subtitle-effects to be just as annoying as "Nakama", if not more so.

Although I have seen this one example that's FAR worse than using "Nakama", that being a sub of Digimon (for the record, it was 3G/WPP) that had, among others:
    -"Yoush" instead of "Okay" (Translator's note explaining what "yoush" meant.)
    -"Nee", instead of "Hey", or whatever translation fit best. (Translator's note telling me that this term is apparently untranslatable.)
    -Birdramon's attack subbed as "Meteo Wing", with a translator's note saying that "Meteo is the japanese pronounciation of the word Meteor". I just thought "Why not just say "Meteor Wing", then?"
    -Not translating "Shinka", even if it just means "Evolve".
    And the worst of all:
    -"Then, ore... I mean, what shall watakushi do?" (Translator's note saying how "ore" is an informal way of referring to yourself, and "watakushi" is a much more polite way of saying it.) *Insert one million facepalm-images here*
    Yeah, worst fansub ever.
    Last edited by Lord Starfish; November 11th, 2008 at 03:44 AM.

someone menchioned card captors. I actually liked the Dub. I watched a japanese episode once and i found it rather dry, and it reminded me a lot of sailor moon. Something I didn't get from the Dub.

Speaking of sailor moon, that's another bad dub.

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    someone menchioned card captors. I actually liked the Dub. I watched a japanese episode once and i found it rather dry, and it reminded me a lot of sailor moon. Something I didn't get from the Dub.

Speaking of sailor moon, that's another bad dub.
    Your comment about Card Captor Sakura there makes about as much sense as saying that the mutilated dub of the third Digimon-movie is good because the japanese version was abysmally bad. The point of a dub is to ACCURATELY translate something into another language, so all the stuff that they apparently did to that show makes it pretty much the worst dub ever.

And yeah, Sailor Moon's dub sucked. In a way, I guess it got a bit better starting with S, but then you have "Serena" sounding like a 40-year-old woman. Seriously, what WERE they thinking when they gave her that voice? It doesn't sound even slightly like a teenager. Granted, I haven't actually seen much of the dub myself, but I know what kind of stupid stuff they did, and I have seen the finale of the first season. Sheesh, way to kill (no pun intended) one of the few episodes in the show that were genuinely awesome.

Do fansubs count? Because the people who do the Hokuto no Ken fansubs have really odd/weird translations, almost to the point where whole lines are different.

As for official releases, the 4Kids uncut releases of YGO and Shaman King had some really weird translations as well, but I think I brought this up in another topic. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I can probably have others come to mind if I think hard enough.

And, even though it doesn't pertain to anime/manga in general, FF7 srsly has the worst translation on the face of the earth. What in the name of fuck is an "illusionary crime"? (Well, I know what it should be because I looked up the original dialogue, but still...damn.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
    Your comment about Card Captor Sakura there makes about as much sense as saying that the mutilated dub of the third Digimon-movie is good because the japanese version was abysmally bad. The point of a dub is to ACCURATELY translate something into another language, so all the stuff that they apparently did to that show makes it pretty much the worst dub ever.
    did they dub it acuratly? I don't know. I stated I never really watched the original. I'm simply stating, that when I watched the dub, I enjoyed it. It was an interesting story with interesting characters, and it kept a good pace.

I watched digimon season 1 Dubbed. I'm sure it's WAY better in it's original form, but I still loved watching it. Even with it's cheesy dialogue and changed character names.

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Horoko View Post
    And, even though it doesn't pertain to anime/manga in general, FF7 srsly has the worst translation on the face of the earth.
    Nah, FFV holds that particular title. The PS1 version from Anthology at least. (They used "quest" as an adjective and gave Faris a pirate jowl, among other flubs)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandai Mera View Post
    Thanks for reminding me of why I'll never use Nyoron~ ever again. >___>
    Last edited by Kaizoku Mele; June 18th, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
    My Livejournal/blog
    Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    His character is dull now anyway, he's a smug little ace, I miss the part 1 Shikamaru, the dunce who was actually smart. That whole thematic world is dead and gone and I don't think Kishi even remembers it.

The original dub was taken off the air several times.
    And yeah, it's defintely one of the worst imho.
    One Piece's 4kids dub is pretty close to being as bad tho.

Naruto's manga translation is pretty horrible with "Art of the Doppleganger" and all that.
    Tp's Beck translation just turned me off with all the "word up dawgs" and that sort of language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Also, it's a children's comic from Japan.

Why are you comparing it to cultural engravings and burritos.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
    Not true, especially not in the realm of professional dubbing (With fandubbing, more or less, but those are a rarity). The purpose of a dub is to apply audio native to the country it's being released in. It's about making the product marketable; it's about making money, not providing accurate translations (The translation is an entirely seperate process. The writers take the translation, and do with it what they need to in order to pull off a successful dub.) When anime is expected to be sold exclusively on home-video, it's expected that the buyers understand the concept of anime, more or less. That's when the point is an accurate translation, because the buyers are going out of their way to obtain the product. If they aren't satisfied, they're not going to pay for any more of it. The buyers want to buy accurate translations.

When it comes to Television, it's a completely different story. Anyone can turn on the TV and end up as one of the viewers. So, that's when the product has to cater to the general audiences, instead of the Japanese-savy. Younger viewers might be unfamiliar with Japanese culture may be confused, and put off. If it's Americanized, or changed otherwise to cater to the target audience, they're more likely to keep watching; and everyone else might as well watch, because it's the only thing on/it's background noise.

Should some 70-Year old executives decide that girls are incapable of being cool, the entire point of the dub then becomes making Li into the main character, hence securing the young-male viewer base.

Also: To Sell Toys. 'Nuff said.

The point of translating is to provide an accurate translation.
    The point of the scripting or dubbing is to make money.

So, considering viewers, such as captain usopp, enjoyed the product, it reached its point.

Other examples include Bobobo, and Shin-chan. Two series which probably would never have worked on television had they focused on accuracy.

On the flip-side, though, the rape of Sakura left fans desiring the truth, which created a market for an accurate translation: Which Geneon eventually provided in the form of Sub DVDs.
    Last edited by Corsair King; November 9th, 2008 at 10:21 PM.

A Great King, somewhere! Captain Brooke's Avatar

Anything 4kids has touched.....end of story!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information