+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Pirates of the Caribbean

Default Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 4 BARBOSSA IS KING

This movie was amazing. I think this one is at least on par with the first one. The part of the movie with the mermaids was scary as hell and I loved the scene at the Fountain of Youth. Excellent movie.

Also, I support the missionary's position.

Default Re: Pirates of the Caribbean

bump for Pirates 5.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Plot spoilers...

Hidden:

I'm not bitching yet, cause nothing has been deconfirmed yet. However, the boy in the cell is confirmed to be the child of Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan. Orlando Bloom is confirmed for the film, but Keira is only rumored so far. I swear to god, if she gets killed off, they better make her the second Captain of the Flying Dutchman, next to Will. Cause god dammit, Will never wanted to be a pirate, and he gets to be Davy fucking Jones. Elizabeth wanted to be a pirate, and she gets to be a single mother. Fine, but when they kill her off (CAUSE THEY WILL) she better be the Pirate Empress of the Underworld, cause that's who she deserves to be!

Okay, maybe I am bitching.

Edit: I'm starting to read Keira won't be joining the cast. At least, that's what she's saying. Ugh...
    Last edited by Insider2000; October 7th, 2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Make this movie do to At World's End what Days of Future Past did to Last Stand.

I'm just bothered that the character in the cell is played by Brenton Thwaites who was so charmless, derp-looking in Gods of Egypt.

3DS Friend Code: 3196 - 6799 - 6143

Sort of unrelated to the movie, but I think this was very cool of Depp.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/...caribbean-ride

I had no idea Pirates 5 was even a thing.

^ Really I've know about this movie since Robby bumped the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Did anyone else see POTC:'dead men tell no tales? I saw it and it was good, just seemed a little too fast
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

I saw it. I feel like it was extremely rushed too.

Hidden:
    That Trident is by far the most convenient plot device I have ever witnessed. Resolved EVERYTHING! Almighty...

I'm glad Elizabeth wasn't killed off like I expected her to be. She's still not a pirate, but I guess her staying with Will is about as good as an outcome. Still, I severely don't think either Keira nor Orlando gave a shit to put any effort with their five minute roles. They wanted in, out, and then their pay check.

That said: I really like our new Barbosa girl. Sucks we lost Barbosa, but she's pretty entertaining on her own. Boyfriend is about as interesting as stale bread.

In some ways, it did a better job of being At World's End than At World's End did.
    Complicating things since 2009.

I --very honestly-- watched the movie because I was downtown and I had to pee (I mean that I have an unlimited thing that allows me etc some theaters in Paris).
    Last film aired in 2012 when I was a kiddo, so I couldn't really know it was a childish movie. I don't know how someone who's at least in high-school can like these movies tbh.

I don't remember what it's called - and I think it has a name, but there is that thing that happens in TV where as the show goes on a character's specific traits will become more and more prominent until they become caricutures of themselves.

Jack in the first three films was clever, outwitting his enemies on numerous occassions. And if it was dumb luck, then that was because his goofy persona worked in his favour. In the fourth one he's all but a goof. I haven't seen the fifth one yet, but judging by the trailers and clips he seems the same. Which is odd considering extremely capable the trailer made the young Jack out to be.

For a film that was meant to bring the franchise back to its roots it's a shame they couldn't do better. From what I hear, at least, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by baby-boo View Post
    I don't remember what it's called - and I think it has a name, but there is that thing that happens in TV where as the show goes on a character's specific traits will become more and more prominent until they become caricutures of themselves.

Jack in the first three films was clever, outwitting his enemies on numerous occassions. And if it was dumb luck, then that was because his goofy persona worked in his favour. In the fourth one he's all but a goof. I haven't seen the fifth one yet, but judging by the trailers and clips he seems the same. Which is odd considering extremely capable the trailer made the young Jack out to be.

For a film that was meant to bring the franchise back to its roots it's a shame they couldn't do better. From what I hear, at least, to be fair.
    It's called Flanderization, I think.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    It's called Flanderization, I think.
    You are exactly right. Although I would alter the bolded wording from "traits becoming more and more prominent" to being less nuanced or inhibited.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

The first Pirates is still a great film in it's own right. It's fairly timeless and has a super tight script and will stand the test of time.

And the second two are okay as popcorn flicks for the action scenes and effects and seeing more of the characters, just getting more of it.... but they're also huge messes where they were literally making the script up as they went along.

By the fourth one though they'd already stretched Jack thin and his shtick had gotten old... and he really shouldn't have been carrying a movie on his own.

No plans to see 5 in the theater, but apparently its more of the same.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The entire movie is okay. It's not abhorrently bad, but it's decent. There's a midway point where it gets pretty boring. Once all the characters finally gather for the conflict, that movie picks up.

Honestly, the best segment of the movie was the first 30 minutes or so. Specifically, a scene with a guillotine, which is extremely entertaining.

Just finished watching Dead Men Tell No Tales.

I will say that I enjoyed the movie well enough. There aren't many blockbuster movies out there - if any at all after Black Sails - set in his time period, with colorful characters and a bits of fantasy sprinkled throughout, and for that it's enjoyable.

Yet it's so damn frustrating because I wouldn't think it was so difficult. Besides the fact that the whole plot revolves around the bad buy pursuing Jack at world's end, he does next to nothing this whole movie. If he sword fight's he loses, if he's in danger he barely does anything useful, and if ever there's a moment to be even a little bit serious, he's still goofing off. The Jack we met in Curse of the Black Pearl, when faced with danger, took Elizabeth hostage, fought Will equally and playfully, outsmarted both the navy and Barbossa, pitted them against one another, all the while plotting to turn the undead into no longer undead.

They said they'd wanted to recapture what made the original so unique. Jack is sailing yet with another Turner. I expected them to play off on that. But no, couldn't even do that.

And yet, I still want another one. The ending credits can be interested.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information