Closed Thread
Page 5 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 3444

Thread: Funi TV Discussion (Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 1:00 a.m., USA Toonami)

  1. #81

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugumi-ken View Post
    Its a kids show, regardless of what you think. The art and the fact that series has commercials with little kids are used to advertise them are proof enough. Though at least in Japan.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf88B8kepZs
    Kids in Japan are more mature than kids in the US. The kids in the US are too...gah!...

  2. #82
    Political activist Tsugumi-ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, Chicago

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by l2agnarok View Post
    Kids in Japan are more mature than kids in the US. The kids in the US are too...gah!...
    That's a generalization, Kids, at least some kids in the US can handle blood and stuff. When, I was a kid I used to sneak out to R rated movies and enjoyed watching South park as well. In fact I have seen some kids watch Horror movies and yet not be influenced negatively. Kids are not stupid, if they see a woman stab herself they know its going hurt if they do that. Its only some really idiotic kids who try to be cool by imitating something like that.
    Stated by Eiichiro Oda about fan-mail
    " A lot of People send some incredibly stupid crap"

  3. #83
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Okay, let me re-phrase it, "One Piece" is an all-ages show, with the main audience being 6-14 year-old boys. I was talking to some Japanese guys at a party who've been fans of "One Piece" from what I can tell from the beginning, they've been living in America since about the time terrorism was a hot issue, and when I told them about how 4Kids did the series I asked and they said in Japan the target audience is teenagers. Now that's fine, but teen years cross-over into kid and adult demographics. I consider my 12-year-old self a kid, who doesn't? The manga I'd say is targeted more at teens while the T.V. show is more for younger children, they still each count as kids. As far as "Bleach" and "Inuyasha" go, they'd probably get better ratings on Toonami than [adult swim]. They're teen shows, teenagers are a prime demographic in both blocks, but as Ao Kiji mentioned they are kids' shows, they just happened to end up on [adult swim] 'cause there's still an audience for those shows on that time-slot. I can't say the same for "One Piece", unless you haven't seen all three shows I don't feel I need to explain why "One Piece" lends itself more to children than "Bleach" and "Inuyasha". An then there's the whole thing about different cultures having different standards, yada yada.

    And Ao Kiji, how can you say "One Piece" and "Now and Then, Here and There" don't have a big difference in "maturity". "One Piece" doesn't deal with military exploitation of children and rape. I gotta agree on "Gurren Lagann", if this were back in the early 2000s it would've certainly ended up on Toonami or [adult swim]. And again, compared to stuff like "Naruto" and "One Piece", "Gurren Lagann" lends itself more to an older audience.

  4. #84
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by l2agnarok View Post
    Kids in Japan are more mature than kids in the US. The kids in the US are too...gah!...
    I really doubt that. How do you know that, you know any Japanese kids?

  5. #85
    Just can't take it anymore RomanGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dreamland

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Bakugan getting better ratings than One Piece here should be a dead giveaway.
    Everything was all for nothing

  6. #86
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanGod View Post
    Bakugan getting better ratings than One Piece here should be a dead giveaway.
    Is it getting better ratings?

  7. #87

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanGod View Post
    Bakugan getting better ratings than One Piece here should be a dead giveaway.
    ..Bakugan? You mean that crappy Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon ripoff that airs in the morning...when almost nobody is awake? Holy hell, that's a problem.

  8. #88
    Just can't take it anymore RomanGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dreamland

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    The fact that it's still on CN while One Piece isn't should tell you that it's doing something more to "impress" CN. Otherwise they would've trashed it by now.
    Everything was all for nothing

  9. #89
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanGod View Post
    The fact that it's still on CN while One Piece isn't should tell you that it's doing something more to "impress" CN. Otherwise they would've trashed it by now.
    You have to remember that Cartoon Network has the merchandising rights for "Bakugan".

  10. #90
    Political activist Tsugumi-ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, Chicago

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c3Dd2tgtPjQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed...
    Stated by Eiichiro Oda about fan-mail
    " A lot of People send some incredibly stupid crap"

  11. #91

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    I really doubt that. How do you know that, you know any Japanese kids?
    Yes I do actually.

    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    Okay, let me re-phrase it, "One Piece" is an all-ages show, with the main audience being 6-14 year-old boys. I was talking to some Japanese guys at a party who've been fans of "One Piece" from what I can tell from the beginning, they've been living in America since about the time terrorism was a hot issue, and when I told them about how 4Kids did the series I asked and they said in Japan the target audience is teenagers. Now that's fine, but teen years cross-over into kid and adult demographics. I consider my 12-year-old self a kid, who doesn't?
    While I agree with you on the most part, I don't on the main audience ages of 6-14. I myself, think late pre-teens to late teenagers is more suitable. I consider kids below early 11. I still of course consider teens and late teens kids, but not in the sense that they are childish. Almost like you but slight differences.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeArmyOfHalen View Post
    ..Bakugan? You mean that crappy Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon ripoff that airs in the morning...when almost nobody is awake? Holy hell, that's a problem.
    Beyblade and Duelmasters too! XD

  12. #92

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by l2agnarok View Post
    Kids in Japan are more mature than kids in the US. The kids in the US are too...gah!...
    Yeah...no.

    You're wrong. Kids are the same no matter where they are.

  13. #93

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RuNa View Post
    Yeah...no.

    You're wrong. Kids are the same no matter where they are.
    Ok then, Agreed. End of that discussion.

    But what type of Anime does the Sci-Fi channel air? Aside from the sci-fi type of course. I've only seen Gurren Lagann as the closest thing to OP on there, the again I've only probably seen like 4 animes there.

    If only the old international channel were back...Anyone remember those days? It got bought out like 2-4 years ago and showed J-music, K-music, and anime, dubbed or not.

  14. #94
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by l2agnarok View Post
    While I agree with you on the most part, I don't on the main audience ages of 6-14. I myself, think late pre-teens to late teenagers is more suitable. I consider kids below early 11. I still of course consider teens and late teens kids, but not in the sense that they are childish. Almost like you but slight differences.
    6-14 year-old boys are the main audience for pretty much any popular mainstream action/adventure cartoon, that's how it's always been. I remember talking to an anime retailer and an employee from Toei Animation and from what they told me in Japan the main audience for "One Piece" is 8-14 year-old boys, which is pretty much the same thing as what you and I are saying. It appeals to everyone but the 15-30 year-old audience is a secondary demographic. And what exactly is your definition of childish, teens are kids that don't act like kids is what you're saying? And what is "like me" supposed to mean?

  15. #95
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by l2agnarok View Post
    But what type of Anime does the Sci-Fi channel air? Aside from the sci-fi type of course. I've only seen Gurren Lagann as the closest thing to OP on there, the again I've only probably seen like 4 animes there.

    If only the old international channel were back...Anyone remember those days? It got bought out like 2-4 years ago and showed J-music, K-music, and anime, dubbed or not.
    They air pretty much anything that's for ages 15 and up, and obviously is sci-fi/action/drama.

    And hey, we may not have International Channel anymore, but at least there's Imaginasian.

  16. #96

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    6-14 year-old boys are the main audience for pretty much any popular mainstream action/adventure cartoon, that's how it's always been. I remember talking to an anime retailer and an employee from Toei Animation and from what they told me in Japan the main audience for "One Piece" is 8-14 year-old boys, which is pretty much the same thing as what you and I are saying. It appeals to everyone but the 15-30 year-old audience is a secondary demographic. And what exactly is your definition of childish, teens are kids that don't act like kids is what you're saying? And what is "like me" supposed to mean?
    That makes more sense to me.
    As for the teen thing, I just mean they have different interests. I can't really say for sure myself so let's just skip that.

    Though I'm still sad as my provider doesn't have it.
    Not a total loss though.

    Are there really any other channels One Piece can qualify to be on?

  17. #97
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by l2agnarok View Post
    That makes more sense to me.
    As for the teen thing, I just mean they have different interests. I can't really say for sure myself so let's just skip that.

    Though I'm still sad as my provider doesn't have it.
    Not a total loss though.

    Are there really any other channels One Piece can qualify to be on?
    Oh I can say for sure the difference in interests between teens and children. I remember once I reached the age of 12 I spent longer hours under the bedsheets and drawing dirtier pictures.

    There are other channels that "One Piece" could possibly be on, but certainly possibly not be on. Nicktoons Network is a strong contender in my mind mainly because there's a rumor they're interested in it and because with stuff like the new Marvel cartoons coming out next year Nicktoons is showing more of an interest in action/adventure cartoons for the pre-teen male demographic. Then there's Toon Disney which will soon be Disney XD, and the name change has to do with the fact the channel is changing its focus more to action/adventure and to compete with Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon in attracting the pre-teen male demographic. Imaginasian is another one I thought of since from what I heard at Anime Expo Toei Animation is talking to that broadcaster. I'll put CW on the list for good measure but 4Kids is now in-charge of programming decisions for that channel so you know how that is. Anyway the main thing working against "One Piece" getting on the more mainstream channels like Nicktoons is the content, even in a TV-Y7 form that would still be true to the original show "One Piece" would be considered "edgy" by normal American kids standards, Cartoon Network is usually the only channel that's willing to air cartoons with "edgier" content.

  18. #98

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Hmm that's interesting about Disney and Nick.

    Also what seems to interest me is that I saw an AMV with the Crocodile versus Luffy fight unedited, but what's odd is that the logo in the screen was Jetix.
    Do they already air One Piece elsewhere on Jetix or some other company dubbed it to another language?
    I'll try to find a link somewhere...

  19. #99
    Just badass Sano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Keokuk, Iowa

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    Yeah, in Spain, they air One Piece on their Jetix.

  20. #100
    4th Dimensional Explorer cbajd5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The last place you'll look.

    Default Re: Funi TV Discussion

    OK, I have a few things I wish to add, even if they have been added already.

    1. One Piece is not Sci-Fi and should not be put on to the Sci-Fi Network. Gurrenlagann works because robots are Sci-Fi and going into space is also Sci-Fi. Pirates are not Sci-Fi. The closest thins being Sci-Fi like in One Piece are Franky and Kuma.

    2. Nicktoons network does not show Anime. If someone can show me otherwise I would like to see, but to this point I have not seen anything about Nicktoons Network being intrested in showing actual Anime. Any action adventure shows on there that i know about have been American made, but I don't have the channel so I would not know anything recent that has gotten put on there. So if you are going to say that the Nicktoons Network is a place for it to air can you please show me some sort of evidence that the network has any sort of plan to air any actual Anime?

    3. Disney XD seems like it could be a place it could be shown, but it is obvious it will be edited. To what degree i am not sure as I have never gotten to see what Anime shown on there is like, but the obvious still is probably true. No blood, no cursing, and not extreme violence. Or nothing imatatable I would guess.

    That's pretty much all I have to add. I would say if anywhere Toonami would be the best place but apparently that's close to impossible now, so Disney XD seems the only other place it could go to me.

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts