Closed Thread
Page 278 of 500 FirstFirst ... 178 228 268 276 277 278 279 280 288 328 378 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,560 of 10000

Thread: Dragonball Discussion

  1. #5541

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Magi
    Fat Buu's Kamehameha against ssj3 Goku failed to destroy 1/10 of the earth.
    Yeah except Toriyama was having dudes blow up the moon in the fifth book, and Vegeta threatening to do the same. Toriyama was crazy inconsistent, but unless you're some sort of NARUTO FORUMS BATTLEDOME autist you really don't need to go Star Trek geek and clearly see the author intention forever ago was "these ape monster slug demons can blow up planets".

    Characters being able to "destroy" a planet at this point is factually contradicted after this.
    Ok I guess Vegeta was lying for no reason at all to Goku at that one point. And that Roshi did not in fact blow up the moon even at a measly little wahtever he was in the 21st Budokai.
    "Factually" gets no one nowhere on this subject lol.

    It was stated that a kili if 200-300 would be enough to "destroy" a planet (start a chain reaction).
    No it wasn't (lolll if you think Toriyama of all people wrote the databooks anymore than Oda writes the One Piece ones, Sabo is dead!).
    Also what the fuck is a kili. Isn't that a dwarf from the hobbit.
    I've heard ki, and I've heard chi. I've even heard power levels. But kili?
    Dodoria stated that Vegeta's power output was barely 18,000 during his arrival on Earth which would mean that his kili was below 1. By th series own logic, Vegeta wouldn't have even been close to being capable of "destroying" a planet.
    Also by the series own logic having a bombur of 1 or whatever that is does mean you're capable of doing that thing where the round thing blows up in the space.

    That's also consistent with what we were shown throughout the rest of the series.
    You mean all those times dudes yell about "THAT WILL BLOW UP A PLANET" about a million different things. And how strongest attacks don't sometimes threaten this even though they should be bazillions of times stronger than what Roshi or Piccolo did to blow up moons?
    Dragonball will never ever fit in a calculator. God bless.

    Recoome's eraser gun, for example, his strongest attack, which could have easily repelled Vegeta's Galick gun, only made a small crater a few kilometers long.
    ...didn't that thing like warp the horizon? We readin' the same manga here? And actually the usual great example of inconsistency.


    That's an outlier.
    And that's not a counterargument.
    Raditz, someone who was far stronger than Piccolo, fired blasts that could have killed Piccolo and Goku and only managed to destroy 2 mountain ranges.
    And then later Piccolo blows up the moon.

    Some many many many years and volumes after Roshi also blew up the moon.
    Previously, Goku took Piccolo's strongest attack, which only razed an island.
    An energy attack that was capable of killing them and overpowering their attacks could only destroy mountains.
    That right there completely contradicts Piccolo's feat of destroying the moon.
    Which contradicts everything and everything contradicts everything else.

    Anyway shut up you little Narutofan toad, if you took Toriyama into a room in 1990 or whenever and asked him were his monkey warriors capable of blowing up planets he wouldn't fuckin' go on some godawful enigineering degree rant about made up crap some editor put in a databook about kilis.
    He'd say "yeah sure".
    And that's absolutely all that matters.

  2. #5542

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    My power level is 10 bomburs and 6 thorins

  3. #5543

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I've heard ki, and I've heard chi. I've even heard power levels. But kili?
    The unit of measurement babidi used when he went "holy crap these guys are strong!" The numbers were much lower than the traditional power levels, probably in order to give scale to the impending fight without having like a dozen zeroes on the power.

    But given that it was used all of maybe once in one panel, and Toriyama dropped it immediately upon realizing it was clearly a bad idea... and before anyone even went super saiyan or Buu was let free, it was after a time skip, and there was no comparison scale with Frieza army power levels, trying to make any comparison means you're going from some number a databook made up completely based on nothing.

    1 kili could equal 50,000. Sure. it could also equal 50. We have no idea.

    Trying to make an argument with it is like trying to use the characters and their holding back light taps on the punching machine to prove that Vegeta was stronger than Goku.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  4. #5544
    Shipmate Lord Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The middle of nowhere

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by SaiyaJedi View Post
    Hey, they finally added a more-or-less correct translation for the movie's title! Alongside the same bad one they've used from the start, but progress is progress, I suppose....
    More-or-less? I don't really see how "The Resurrected F" is any better/worse than "The Revival of F". I mean, they both convey the exact same thing. Then again I'm one of those guys insisting that "The F in Fukkatsu" also isn't completely off the mark (more specifically, I think there's a deliberate double-meaning there. The F standing both for Fukkatsu and Freeza) so what do I know...

  5. #5545

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
    More-or-less? I don't really see how "The Resurrected F" is any better/worse than "The Revival of F". I mean, they both convey the exact same thing. Then again I'm one of those guys insisting that "The F in Fukkatsu" also isn't completely off the mark (more specifically, I think there's a deliberate double-meaning there. The F standing both for Fukkatsu and Freeza) so what do I know...
    the f is for fuck u

  6. #5546

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    My power level is 10 bomburs and 6 thorins
    How many times must I repeat myself, WE USE CABAGGES!!

    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  7. #5547
    Shipmate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lithuania, Visaginas>Vilnius

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    At first I wondered how can anyone seriously use some inconsequential numbers to argue the impossibility of early Dragonball events, but than I noticed this discussion carried over from the manga subforum.

  8. #5548

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Considering this originated from a Luffy vs. Buu discussion, assuming Buu changes everyone in the OP world besides Luffy into meat and the only way to restore them back is to eat them all without any break. Can Luffy win?

  9. #5549

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholemew Bear View Post
    Considering this originated from a Luffy vs. Buu discussion, assuming Buu changes everyone in the OP world besides Luffy into meat and the only way to restore them back is to eat them all without any break. Can Luffy win?

    Spoiler:
    Silverblade's sig comes in handy.

  10. #5550

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Holy crap, arguments about power levels going on? Suddenly feels like 1998 in here.

    There's even rampant character name misspellings left and right.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

  11. #5551

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    And here comes Rin to be a grammar nazi about Frieza and Buu once again.

    Because if its not spelled Freeza and Boo, no one knows what you're talking about.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  12. #5552

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Freezer was always my favorite villain

  13. #5553

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    And here comes Rin to be a grammar nazi about Frieza and Buu once again.

    Because if its not spelled Freeza and Boo, no one knows what you're talking about.
    It's just funny to me how Nostalgia Goggles work.

    A large group of people on this forum will tell you "Zolo" is wrong, and it's a dumb change. You can find VERY FEW people on this forum that actually use this spelling, because that's totally wrong, despite the official manga translation still using it to this day.

    But equally dumb and arbitrary name changes, some worse because they fundamentally change the name itself (how the hell do you get "Tien" From "Tenshinhan"?!) are given a pass, because, Nostalgia.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

  14. #5554
    They say I am The Spaceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    the sun of nothing

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    if you say tenshinan really fast it sounds like you're saying tienshan

  15. #5555

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    Freezer was always my favorite villain
    I love how he doles out Freezer burns to anyone that stands in his way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    = (how the hell do you get "Tien" From "Tenshinhan"?!)
    Probably the same way you get "Launch" from "Lunch".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  16. #5556

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    At first I wondered how can anyone seriously use some inconsequential numbers to argue the impossibility of early Dragonball events, but than I noticed this discussion carried over from the manga subforum.
    It carried over from an entirely different forum's sub-forum altogether. Basically the worst forum of all.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Mispelling with the Funimation names is low-tier mispelling, high-tier is using the really weird half-translated names from before even that like Bejita and Ceru.

  17. #5557

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    For the record, the only ones that are really bad are "Frieza" and "Tien", almost every other one is forgivable or just a legit alt way of Romanizing the name (Krillin, Bulma, etc)

    "Frieza" is dumb because I've actually seen non-DB Fans mispronounce the name because of it (as "Fry-Zah") last time I saw this was in a video review for one of the Budokai games It was the Budokai HD collection.

    And Tien is dumb because, seriously? How did you get "Tien" from "Tenshinhan"?! If you were worried kids would have a hard time pronouncing it, couldn't you have called him "Ten"? that's the actual shortening of the name that gets used in the Japanese version.
    Last edited by Demon Rin; January 29th, 2015 at 09:58 PM.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

  18. #5558
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby
    Toriyama made shit up as he went along. He was full of inconsistencies, but stuff that happened *earlier* in the series isn't magically undone by something that happens later in the series.
    Which is why we should only take the feats with consistent portrayal into consideration.
    The fact that you know his power portrayal is inconsistent and still accept things such as Muten Roshi's moon buster , even after it being contradicted on numerous occasions and by his own words, carelessly, without question, is kinda asinine to me.
    Especially regarding power levels which even Toriyama himself stopped giving a crap about almost as soon as he introduced them.
    We weren't really discussing power levels though. We're discussing destruction capabilities.
    Genki dama. (Spirit bomb) Draws upon the ki of the planet around it. The one on Kai's world was tiny and weak. One made on earth or namek drawing from all the plants, animals and people, is huge and much more destructive. More ki=harder to blow up.

    If you really have a problem with a feat that was done *twice* in the series, if it helps you internalize it, just say that the moon had nothing to deflect such a blast.
    I have no reason to accept this since no where was it stated that Ki made the planet more durable. The planet itself doesn't even have ki. Ki is only present in living things which means, your theory cannot possibly be correct.
    And every other thing you list applies as well. its putting a *lot* of power into a small space rather than some power over a lot of space. Tien destroying a ring, or Piccollo destroying a city, CAN be more impressive than the kamehameha if they're more *powerful* in that small space.
    Goku's SS3 fireball is stronger than Roshi's fireball of the same name.
    Muten Roshi was baffled at the destruction of the ring itself. Again, I'll mention that this is also disproven by him not being able to destroy the RRA.
    The Raditz fight was a perfect example, and its when the power level nonsense was first introduced. Goku and Piccollo do their normal energy attacks, Raditz deflects them with ease. Goku and Piccollo drop their weighted clothes, *charge* their attacks, concentrating on it, and suddenly they're able to pierce and kill Raditz (assuming he's being prevented from dodging at any rate.) Same thing continues to apply at a higher scale as the series goes on.
    There's no proof that the attack's DC and AoE were limited simply because they compressed all their Ki into a single attack.
    I'll bring up Vegetas final flash again to counter that.

  19. #5559
    potentially on hiatus Ordinary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ODA
    "I write ONE PIECE as dramatically as I can. If I had written a pure battle manga, it would have been easily defeated by Dragon Ball." ONE PIECE 10th Treasures (2007)
    Discuss .

  20. #5560

    Default Re: Dragonball Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    A large group of people on this forum will tell you "Zolo" is wrong, and it's a dumb change. You can find VERY FEW people on this forum that actually use this spelling, because that's totally wrong, despite the official manga translation still using it to this day.
    The difference is that Bounty Posters and Oda himself have called him Zoro, but Toriyama has spelled Krillin's name all possible ways.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts