+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

  1. #1

    Default Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    I mean seriously does it really matter if Pell died or not? It doesn't really ruin the story considering we're never going to see Pell again anyways. So why do people keep complaing about it as if it's the end of the world that Pell didn't die?

  2. #2
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Local-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    With Robin, in her pants

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    I never gave a calf's kindey about Pell in the first place to be bothered if he died or not.

  3. #3
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer AWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The City of Townsville

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Because it ruins the emotion of his "sacrifice" to save his country.

    That and there's no way he could have survived that bomb. It was mean't to destroy a major portion of the entire country, yet it can't kill a falcon.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Because it makes his sacrifice seem... like crap, since in the end he wasn't really sacrificing anything.

    I didn't really mind it though, I thought the part in the end where he was all "....my grave?" cute and amusing.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Who cares anymore if you can survive 1,000s of volts of lightning then what's a little old bomb which can destroy a city :)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Well, this made definite that no one in One Piece dies.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aethos View Post
    I mean seriously does it really matter if Pell died or not? It doesn't really ruin the story considering we're never going to see Pell again anyways. So why do people keep complaing about it as if it's the end of the world that Pell didn't die?
    You make your point like everyone is complaining "as if it's the end of the world". My question to you is: If it doesn't really matter, and you hate the complaining, then why did you create this thread? Surely you would expect people to start "complaining as if it's the end of the world" here.

    But in my opinion, it was a bad idea to keep him alive, for that specific arc only, as little things like that make it feel as if the arc turned out less great than it could have been. I would have been much more satisfied if he died, so when I look back at the arc, I could say "Oh yeah, Pell bravely sacrificed his own life and died to save his people" instead of "Oh yeah, Pell bravely sacrificed his own life and saved his people, but somehow he survived illogically making his sacrifice seem, not-so-great."

    Also... it's impossible to survive a blast like that, which makes it hard to believe ANYONE in OP can die. Does the whole earth have to explode to kill someone like Whitebeard (who is much stronger than Pell) if a blast like that couldn't kill Pell?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Because it's so obvious that a story isn't good unless it has lots of death in it.

    and it's not saying it's everyone, but I get tired of hearing "I wish Oda would kill more characters what he did with Pell was stupid!" Seriously whenever anyone brings up lack of death in One Piece the first thing they mention is Pell like it's the biggest freakin' deal in the world that he was left alive. Personally I didn't care either way because it's not like he matter's to the overall plot the way Vivi did.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aethos View Post
    Because it's so obvious that a story isn't good unless it has lots of death in it.

    and it's not saying it's everyone, but I get tired of hearing "I wish Oda would kill more characters what he did with Pell was stupid!" Seriously whenever anyone brings up lack of death in One Piece the first thing they mention is Pell like it's the biggest freakin' deal in the world that he was left alive. Personally I didn't care either way because it's not like he matter's to the overall plot the way Vivi did.
    At least try to understand what I'm saying before replying.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    I was angry because there was a big, emotional sacrifice over it. Honestly, I didn't real care about Pell that much, but he gave his life without a thought to protect Arabasta. That's a true hero.

    ...And then he didn't die. It just seemed to defeat the whole point of going about it the way he did.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by $abZ View Post
    At least try to understand what I'm saying before replying.
    I did understand what you were saying, but still why does it matter? It's not like we're going to see Pell again anyways so whether he lived or died shouldn't mean anything. His sacrifice was still noble unless you think it's less noble because he lived in the end.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aethos View Post
    I did understand what you were saying, but still why does it matter? It's not like we're going to see Pell again anyways so whether he lived or died shouldn't mean anything. His sacrifice was still noble unless you think it's less noble because he lived in the end.
    But there are certain parts of an arc that makes it good, regardless of whether it is involved later on in the series.

    When looking back at the Arabasta Arc, those parts are remembered, and Pell not dying is something most people feel didn't fit too well with the whole sacrifice thing.

  13. #13
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer AWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The City of Townsville

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Exactly. You can have an incredible plot, but the story is boring and dull without emotion.

    Take Rock Lee of Naruto for example. Story-wise, all he did was try to protect Sakura (and fail, only to have several others come in and try to do so), and fight Gaara in the tournament, then lose. He did nothing to advance the story. However, he had heart and he never gave up, even though the odds were against him. Even though he lost it all in the end, he still didn't give up. He was there to make the story emotional, and that is why his character is so great. Usopp's a good example too. His whole role in the Water 7 and Enies Lobby arc where to bring emotion.


    Dying to protect someone is more noble that just plain ol' getting hurt to protect someone. You know you're going to die, you know how horrible your death is going to be, but you still go through with it and save the day, and without a moment's hesitation to do so.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pass the Rootbeer View Post
    Exactly. You can have an incredible plot, but the story is boring and dull without emotion.

    Take Rock Lee of Naruto for example. Story-wise, all he did was try to protect Sakura (and fail, only to have several others come in and try to do so), and fight Gaara in the tournament, then lose. He did nothing to advance the story. However, he had heart and he never gave up, even though the odds were against him. Even though he lost it all in the end, he still didn't give up.
    Lee didn't die either, though. He didn't have to die to make an impact. You said dying is more noble...so was Lee's sacrifice not noble?

    And Pell's sacrifice DID create the same type of emotion. It served the same purpose in the story. It just happened that at the end of the arc, he turned out to be alive. But it did not rob the impact and emotion from the story because we didn't know he was OK until the story arc was over.
    He still risked his life, but he survived somehow.
    I'm not a big fan of Pell surving either, but the reason of "it ruins the emotion" is a lie, because we all know we cried during that part.

    I just wish Oda wouldn't do that so often, because now we expect it.
    To me that's the problem...not that it was bad that Pell survived, but that Oda pulls the same thing so often that whenever someone appears to have died I just think "don't worry, they're still alive". On the other hand, that is somewhat of a comfort...because I hate to think that some characters might die. I like knowing that everything will be OK in One Piece.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  15. #15

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Like the others have said, Pell made a nobel sacrifice. We all felt it was a good thing, him giving his life to save his country. However this nobel act is ruined because he walks away from it. It's like in an action film where the side kick gives their life to stop or stall a villain. Now, how would you feel if said side kick got up and walked away after such an act?

    Some could argue that it was nice Pell surivied. It proved that Crocodile's plan was so evil (or something) that it failed to kill one man and after all the horrible stuff Vivi went through it was nice something good happened for her but for me personally I prefer the idea of nobel sacrifises and people giving their life for the greater good.

  16. #16
    knife to the eye Strange_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    United States

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pass the Rootbeer View Post
    Because it ruins the emotion of his "sacrifice" to save his country.

    That and there's no way he could have survived that bomb. It was mean't to destroy a major portion of the entire country, yet it can't kill a falcon.

    That's pretty much my opinion, too.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    You're talking as if Pell somehow cheated in the sacrifice or something...

    If a heroe's sidekick sacrificed himself, nearly died but survived, I'd kind of expect that actually...sidekicks rarely die. And fooling the audience into thinking a character died, but then he survived in the end is very common.
    I really like that in a stand-alone story, but like I said, when it starts to become common and predictable, there's a problem.

    BTW, someone once pointed out that there was something culturally symbolic about the falcon surviving...don't remember where it came from though.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  18. #18
    Shounen Manga Fan TenshiOni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    In the Springtime of Youth!

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    It didn't ruin the emotional impact for me (I still look back on the scene and get teary eyed), but I must admit, him surviving was a bad decision because it made Crocodile's grand master plan of annihilating the city look like a joke.

    One guy surviving a bomb intended to total an entire city after taking it head-on? It's ridiculous, imo.


  19. #19
    Token Black Guy gaara d. lucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Usin items in Smash tourneys

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strange_One View Post
    That's pretty much my opinion, too.
    I'm of the same opinion as well.

    Also, this arc happened soooooooooo long ago, why is this coming back up at all?

    Brawl FC: 3823 8204 8139

  20. #20
    King C Cap'n Carter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Empire Porky Building

    Default Re: Why are so many people angry about Pell not dying?

    I honestly never cared and kind of laughed at people who made it a bigger deal than it should be.

    the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts