+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1021

Thread: General Persona Thread

Default Re: General Persona Thread

I personally didn't have any particular feelings about X's CG cutscenes which of course are now outdated looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

So I've never played any of the Persona series and I've been meaning to get P5 for a while now but never quite got round to it. However, after hearing some of the criticisms you guys have of certain aspects of it and the series as a whole, namely homophobia and the like, along with other stuff I've heard regarding how some characters backstories are handled. It all makes me really uncomfortable and puts me off big time.

So am I being a big, dumb baby and need to realise it's a game that deals with adult themes or what?
    PSN Username: Scoogs50

Series isn't perfect in terms of how it handles some of its writing but I'd like to say each entry offers great overall writing, a nice sense of camaraderie with your entourage, and a look into group psychology and other themes/messages it gets out there. I personally highly recommend it.

The homophobia is glaring, but it also very situational (both scenes must go for less than 5 minutes combined in a game that will take over 100 hours to finish). If you are bothered about it standing out too much in the game, then don't worry, unless your problem is endorsing a game that depicts homossexuals exclusively under a bad light.

On the other hand, there is a secondary character who is either a trans woman, a drag queen or a transvestite (you can't tell which because the game doesn't really go into her character). But while the game never really develops her, at the same time her portrayal is really "respectful" in the sense she is always depicted as a level-headed sympathetic person, unlike the sexual-predators/pedophiles gay guys mentioned above.

As for the game handling adult themes... the first arc definitely points in that direction, but the other ones don't really follow. If you are going to play it, don't really expect a mature take on morality and society issues, go because of high-school slice of life, fun action and cool aesthetics.

The social mechanics and the fact that you're just a bunch of high-school buds hanging out was definitely one of the main draws for me initially so it's nice to hear that's a highlight, alongside the general "coolness" and how slick it looks. In terms of the more...problematic side to it, I reckon as long as it's not a pervasive trend throughout the game I'll be able to cope. Hopefully I'll be able to put my personal hangups about the ickier side of otaku culture to the back of my mind.

Thanks for the heads up.

As someone who thinks SMT III and Digital Devil Saga I&II are the absolute peaks of Atlus identity as rpg developers (character design, narration, music and atmosphere wise), I honestly think Persona 5 is a very, very good game, even when I'm not 100% onboard with some of the more social/semi-visual novel aspects of the game (seriously, some of the dating possibilities are. . .creepy as fuck, to put it as mildly as possible).

The homophobia thing, as mentioned, literally ammounts to 1 minute of a 100 hours+ game, but it is there and it's incredibly frustrating that this is still a thing on this day and age. It's also frustrating how Atlus seems to have gone backwards regarding some of these aspects (apparently, there was a gay-romance option in Persona 2, and it's never been possible again). It can also become. . .kind of irritatingly hand-holdey at times. Like, you find a switch. Well, prepare for the game to STOP dead in its tracks, enter a "cutscene" where all characters circle around the switch, talk about "what will happen if we press the switch?"; exit cutscene, you press "action" on the switch, enter dialogue option "you REALLY wanna press this switch?"; then see the consequences of pressing the switch and. . .yeah, enter cutscene of the characters talking about "look, pressing the switch did xxxx! Let's try to press ALL THE SWITCHES!". The game simply doesn't let you experiment. Or get lost. Ever.

But the thing is, even with all of these annoyances, is a damn good game. Probably, the best Persona game so far. And, also probably, the best JRPG on the PS4. So, yeah, go for it!

Thanks KL. I'm not usually too bothered with a game guiding you along and holding your hand, probably why story driven single player games are my jam. So that won't be a huge issue for me. If the wee moments of weirdness are so infrequent throughout such a large game then fuck it, I'll just plow on through.

While it was super annoying on the second play through, I feelt like in the first one the game keeps your interest well enough so the switch situation isn't as grating. Not counting that one palace you have to invade at least 5 times.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I know there isn't a thread for it but the stuff from Catherine:
    Spoiler:

There also a bit where the new when Vincent sees that Rin has male genitalia for the first time he feels tricked and instinctively hits Rin, causing her to run away.

So yeah.... even the top Catherine Pro player quitting:
    https://twitter.com/Dacidbro/status/1096666565876039685

Yeah. I'll still end up getting it, but it sucks that issue somehow got even worse. :/

yeah that's....unforunate.

Although I do wanna play OG Catherine.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    yeah that's....unforunate.

Although I do wanna play OG Catherine.
    OG Catherine has some transphobic lines in the game as well. Most were just hoping things at least wouldn't be worse with the remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    OG Catherine has some transphobic lines in the game as well. Most were just hoping things at least wouldn't be worse with the remake.
    actually yeah, i saw some of vincent's lines.

Looks like the English VA's for Rin and Erica's tweeted recently on the issue.

https://twitter.com/briannanoellek/s...32196668006400
    I understand some people have concerns so wanted to say, please don’t judge until the game is released. I can’t say more without spoilers. I really respect Rin, and put all my heart into this character. And I hope you will love her like I do
    https://twitter.com/ErinFitzgerald/s...30966206001153
    I retweeted for the kind words about Erica. I support the localization team and the incredible work they did to be considerate about the subject matter... wait til it comes out before you judge it. Things need to be experienced in context to understand them.
    At least it seems like Atlus USA is well aware of the issues and let the VA's know about it.

Some rumors are saying that picture is fake. Idk. It is weird that Kotaku isn't making note of the issue.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Persona 5 The Royal officially confirmed

https://kotaku.com/atlus-has-officia...-ne-1833514286

More info coming out the 24th of April
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Every game needs a grappling hook

So this is where the grappling hook from Smash came from.

This overdue reparation is all I care about, really.

Although those ultimate moves also look sick.

Mixed feelings about this Kasumi thief look (do we know her codename already?). It's look good by itself, but it feels like a she-Joker.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; April 24th, 2019 at 08:17 AM.

Boigana, that is all

Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information