+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast

Thread: General Persona Thread

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Default Re: General Persona Thread

HAHAHA, who would have thought? A big hyped game getting delayed.

Well, less competition for Nier Automata. ;)
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    HAHAHA, who would have thought? A big hyped game getting delayed.

Well, less competition for Nier Automata. ;)
    As mentioned, we still don't know when Nier Automata's actually getting a western release.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Oh right, they didn't confirm the february release for the west yet.

Ultimately never take any release date for granted ever at this point till its only two weeks till the game is coming out from their last given date and they still haven't pushed it back again. xD
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Yes, got my copy of the game today finally and got an hour into the game. Already enjoying it a lot and can't wait to put some major time into it. Non spoiler thoughts already, the art style is really great and the atmosphere and tone I love. Thoughts of what has happened so far.

Spoiler:
    They are really quick to throw you into the action and make you wonder what the heck is actually going on. It reminds me a bit of the first Cold Steel game, show a section that takes place much later into the story, then go to the start of the story and continue on from there. Already feel for the main character, as he tried to do the right thing and it all came to bite him in the ass causing him lots of problems. I'm digging the idea of a more depressing atmosphere, one completely opposite of Persona 4. As of this time arrived for my first day of school and looking forward to see what happens here. Hopefully they have some quick travel stuff later, because I don't like the idea of having to get to each train every single time to go to school, but if it's something done here and there just to build up the mood then I can work with that.

I completely forgot about this game and didn't even preorder it. I think I might wait to buy it then.

Finished the 3rd dungeon, loving this game so far. the UI design, music, and monster designs are all fantastic. General presentation is really top-notch. The characters are engaging, too.

This is my first SMT/Persona game, so I was a little thrown when it asked me to fuse my starting persona, I assumed that one was special and would stick with you. Nope! He's utterly expendable and you need to drop him asap. (maybe he comes back later idk) But now I'm on that fusion train, it's cool to see all the different mythologies and folklore.

The battles themselves are neat, too - with Cyber Sleuth (the other jrpg I played recently) it was just a formality, nothing special, but I think it's cool how in P5 it basically revolves around orchestrating a one-turn-kill on the enemy squad. If you can do that, you're set. If not, then you need to dig in for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post
    This is my first SMT/Persona game, so I was a little thrown when it asked me to fuse my starting persona,
    You actually don't have to fuse your Arsene......but for some weird reason you have to fuse something seemingly as a way of the game showing off the rather screwed up fusion method.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post
    (maybe he comes back later idk)
    If the other games are any indication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

That's the one thing that bothers me of Persona, everyone's identities are very in their personas, but yours can be the damn penis charriot, or the mascot character, or the masochist angel, or whatever. Move on and accept your new self, the neko shogun.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I think that your ability to switch personas is a fitting thing, though. In each game, the thing that makes the main character special is their ability to change. They can change both themselves and their own fates. That's what gives them the power to meet the challenges thrown their way, and psychically that power manifests as the ability to switch personas.

By the way, this game has consumed my life. I'm done with the 5th dungeon by now, and I feel like it just keeps getting better. I'll echo what BBL said in terms of presentation. I also think that it's really made strides to improve on the formula from the previous games. P4 was good and addicting, but I was pretty mixed on it. I wasn't a fan of the dungeons, a lot of the arcana bonds felt like formalities, grinding was necessary and boring, and a bunch of other small things annoyed me and took away from the experience. Here, not only are the set dungeons a big improvement, but the extra mechanics within are really engaging. The characters are a lot better, and I'm enjoying each little side story and relationship, but they also went the extra mile of making each one you engage in contribute to your game, so there's a lot more incentive to pursue them. Mementos is a great solution for the grinding, too, with all the missions you can partake in there, which make the grinding a lot more directed. And even then, grinding for anything but money hasn't felt necessary on medium difficulty, so it hasn't bothered me.

There's a bunch more improvements, too, like the combat improvements and autoheal, and there's plenty of great touches, like the eyecatches at the end of each all out attack, that just make the game a blast to play. This is an easy contender for GOTY for me, and a top 10 RPG contender as well. Maybe even top 5.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

I thought these tweets were worth sharing putting some context to the game. Especially iiotenki's are very interesting
    https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/st...34901048692736
    https://twitter.com/iiotenki/status/814615451393257472

Yesterday I finished me third dungeon, and I can easily agree with Wagomu that this surpasses Persona 4 in every regard. I loved Persona 4 and is one of my favorite games, but this one fixes some of the small problems I had with 4 and just improves the good stuff. Dungeons are so much fun to go to and I look forward to seeing what they are. Confidants/Social Links are better than before with the added incentive, and obtaining each one isn't as hard compared to before. Last but not least is the style and design of everything. Even now battles are fun just with how stylized it is, and each Persona design is so unique I love seeing them in battle. The flow of battle just seems so smooth and seamless that regular battles go by fast and boss battles feel just right. If things keep up at this pace it's only going to get better as time goes on.

One last thing is I think my favorite character has joined the party. I know there are others to join at some point, but this one's entrance was so great and everything leading up to the character joining hit the right notes for me it's going to be hard to top it. Of course I'm talking about...

Spoiler:
    Makoto. When she first came on screen I already liked her character design, and then seeing all the stuff she was dealing with made me look forward more for her joining the group. Then that scene where she finally got fed up with being talked down to and kicked ass was just epic, and that Persona she had and outfit just added to that.

Hopefully I can get myself to the fourth dungeon later today, still have days left for what was the deadline for the third dungeon.

Just completed the 4th dungeon. Yeah, great game improving the base. Can't say much more besides that I like the confidant system (and recommend to max temperance asap) because the perks makes them more gameplay immersive. And the dungeons.

The music other than the final infiltration theme I feel is a little less memorable than in p4. And the game needs a Junes, or a stupid jingle for something.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I feel like the only person who just doesn't like p5's visuals sometimes
    Like, I got eye strain from watching previews, imagining that stretched out over 60+ hours just makes me want to set my eyes on fire.

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

That's crazy talk. The menus are not only beautiful but intuitive (except the damn persona fusion layout that is like this :. And I keep forgetting how to point to any of the non default ones.

The battle ui is very accessible. And using the r1 sometimes feel like cheating, but not having to memorize the attacks on your 6/8/10/12 personas and your party is a welcome addition. You are on your own with support, healing and physical attacks though.

The fusion menu is functional, but just like smtIV it is sometimes too much information and too little information at the same time. Like I want to fuse a lovers persona using a chariot persona to do a quest for the twins, and I had to look it up to do it. I was making a chart but I messed up twice , one by excluding the lovers completely, and other by assuming emperor and empress were wildcards (because the treasure persona) and that ruined my original chart.

Is there a way to delete all your personas? I kind of want to finish the chart (at least without the rare judge. Tower and (for some reason) sun arcanas. I have the money and the savescumming interest to do it.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Is there a way to delete all your personas? I kind of want to finish the chart (at least without the rare judge. Tower and (for some reason) sun arcanas. I have the money and the savescumming interest to do it.
    There's two new options for dealing with excess personas in this game that will be unlocked eventually. Not much of a spoiler (just listing what they are), but:

Spoiler:
    You gain the ability to sacrifice personas to strengthen others and, eventually, the ability to sacrifice them to give you items.

My main issue is that the main colors are red, black, and white, which results in a huge visual pop
    Combining that with all the text being displayed in large sharp letter, with some random letter highlighted because I dunno
    Offset it at a weird angle and repeat it times 100 and you have something that hurts my eyes to look at

P3 had cool blue for it's interface and P4 managed to make bright ass yellow very appealing through it's clever use of color and smooth edges

P5 is just everything popping all the time because we're cool and edgy and it makes my eyes wanna pop

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

It isn't really overwhelming in the game. P5 is a lot more visually interesting than at least 4 was, and that's not just because of the art style. There's a lot more variety, too, so it never feels samey or tiring. For example, now that the dungeons have set structures, they're allowed to have more visually distinct sections, allowing for opportunities to shift the color palette. The hub is urban Japan, which houses many different kinds of places. Even the random dungeon is segmented, with each major segment changing up the visuals. I'm about at the 60 hour mark, and I haven't felt any fatigue related to the visual design.

I wasted a day in the mega dungeon because I thought that it opened up on the defeat of the boss and not the "final day".
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I finally caught up with the present where the story begins. Major spoilers:

Spoiler:
    I caught the plot twist coming miles away, though it didn't stop me from getting bad end once (I double extra reverse psychologied myself, the actual correct choice was obvious but I made the dumb choice). I think they were a bit heavy-handed with it since, besides the pancake thing, the way he gave some off-hand comment about having a troubled past was really suspicious. Plus, I had noticed that there was a rainbow color theme going on with each of your teammates on the message app, and Akechi showed up as white. Still, I did like that they let you fight with him for a while. I'm surprised that he got the Robin Hood persona and not Haru, considering the outfits, though.

I'll probably be finishing this up within the next few days. I'll be glad to have it over with so that I can actually get on with my life, but it's been a blast. I feel like they've really refined the Persona formula in this game. I hope Atlus will be able to top this one, but even if they couldn't, I'd still be satisfied. I'll try to have a detailed writeup done once I'm finished.

Regardless, I'm probably going to spend at least a month with the battle theme stuck in my head:

I loathe ryuji after the 4th palace. I feel the need to kick his ass.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information