+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1087

Thread: Lupin the 3rd

Default Re: Lupin the 3rd

Do they jhust have original source audio from 30 years ago that they keep relacing slightly different instrumentals over? I swear the vocals at least haven't changed in ages.

Because this is different yet exactly the same. I know there's been a range of remixes over the years but they've really settled into being*close* to this one always.

Same with Cutey Honey.

Hey Wolfy, you ever seen Cutie Honey? Its a little bit magical girl an da lot T&A, but it might be up your alley. It's got a lot of the same DNA as Lupin, though... obviously not quite the same thing.
    Last edited by Robby; October 23rd, 2021 at 12:12 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

I always enjoy catching the rare new Cutie Honey content once it arrives; it may be dated for many but it's still always good for a fun time.

What really surprises me though is how small Lupin is in the current Western anime community. Not even the anime Youtubers talk about it very much, which is weird. They usually talk about every bloody terrible isekai that is even slightly popular and claim to enjoy sakuga, interesting arcs, etc. - and yet, the new Lupin series who arguably look amazing compared to most seasonals, have engaging overarching plots for the first time along with great episodic storytelling and feature lots of good comedy don't get credit at all.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

That's for the same reason no one here talks about Saint Saiya. It missed the window to hit when it was still current, so it has the proper decades of build up and nostalgia for it. But in Mexico, they got Seiya in the early 80's when the animation wasn't super dated yet, and its huge there.

But the first impression anyone here got of Lupin was the old clunky looking 70's version. Which I love but I was already a fan. And so even with an almost gag-dub, it just sort of settled in as "old" and "Japan likes it because they've always liked it."

Just imagine if Gundam had tried to hit here with the original series, instead of starting with Wing? Then after Wing they did a couple more of the contemporary shows... but then they for some insane reason tried to do the originals, and that just killed all its momentum. 20 years later no one gives a crap about Gundam except the existing fans that got hooked back in the day, its really hard to convince someone to give a shot at whatever new Gundam thing is going on.

Lupin is perennial, but its not excitingl. There will always be more. If you're a fan then you're already there, if you're not? You can miss whatever Lupin is doing this year and try it next year. it's by default just... not current. Even if the quality is basically the best and most consistent its ever been.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Just imagine if Gundam had tried to hit here with the original series, instead of starting with Wing?
    I like to think it would’ve managed to finish it’s run. And I say this knowing that many kids shows were not known back in the day for hitting 50 episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhoeggr View Post
    I always enjoy catching the rare new Cutie Honey content once it arrives; it may be dated for many but it's still always good for a fun time.

What really surprises me though is how small Lupin is in the current Western anime community. Not even the anime Youtubers talk about it very much, which is weird. They usually talk about every bloody terrible isekai that is even slightly popular and claim to enjoy sakuga, interesting arcs, etc. - and yet, the new Lupin series who arguably look amazing compared to most seasonals, have engaging overarching plots for the first time along with great episodic storytelling and feature lots of good comedy don't get credit at all.
    To add to what Robby said it also has the problem of having a bunch of content with loose continuity and of course the gimmick of different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; October 23rd, 2021 at 11:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I like to think it would’ve managed to finish it’s run. And I say this knowing that many kids shows were not known back in the day for hitting 50 episodes.
    You imagine wrong. Even in Japan it didn't make 50 episodes, it got cut down to 39 mid run, then they begged to be given 43. ANd that was during the original run in the 70's when that aniation was still current.

Then came the late 90's/00's, and Gundam Wing aired on CN and was a huge hit for them. So then they aired war in the Pocket and 08th MS team and maybe G-Gundam.... Gundam had become a name and a franchise people were interested in and wanted more of... they took a crack at airing the original series.

They pulled it off the air at episode 38 and never finished it. It did THAT poorly they couldn't even bother to air the last week of episodes. They eventually aired the Char Counterattack movie, but original Gundam was a huge flop stateside.

And that was AFTER Wing had already earned goodwill. If they had tried to START with the original? No one over here would know what Gundam was.

You imagine wrong. Even in Japan it didn't make 50 episodes, it got cut down to 39 mid run, then they begged to be given 43. ANd that was during the original run in the 70's when that aniation was still current.
    Actually I’m well aware of that part I was specifically referring to what you mentioned in the second paragraph about how the show was abruptly pulled off Toonami a few episodes short of it’s end.

And how we randomly got the last few episodes on New Year’s Evil.

And that was AFTER Wing had already earned goodwill. If they had tried to START with the original? No one over here would know what Gundam was.
    Maybe but given we got shit like Hamtaro on the block I like to think it’s odds of maintaining relevancy would be 50/50 not 100% lost and forgotten.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; October 23rd, 2021 at 11:44 AM.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Hamtaro was awesome though. I unironically love that show and was legit upset we only got the first 105 episodes, (out of 296, and 4 OVAs and 4 movies). So many hamsters we never even met!

It didn't belong on *Toonami*, but the show was great.

It was the pallet cleanser I really needed at the time since that's when I was big into Berserk.
    Last edited by Robby; October 23rd, 2021 at 07:30 PM.

So anyone buying the bait
    Spoiler:
    that Lupin killed Watson?

I mean he gets angry sometimes

Hamtaro was awesome though. I unironically love that show and was legit upset we only got the first 105 episodes, (out of 296, and 4 OVAs and 4 movies). So many hamsters we never even met!
    I don’t know whether to be indifferent or horrified they got that much mileage out of that…….and considering some of stuff that’s come out of a Japan and how much shit that’s been made out of it I’m definitely leaning toward the former.

Fair warning. Part 5 (and 6) is the same crew as 4 so the quality is pretty much the same, but if you branch out past that the quality is going to vary wildly as you see more of the franchise. Some of them are fantastic, some are awful.

Most fall somewhere in the middle though. Series 4 is more or less the usual quality.
    I plan on watching Castle Of Cagliostro next, itís on Netflix and you guys highly recommend it so Iím gonna binge it some night soon

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I plan on watching Castle Of Cagliostro next, it’s on Netflix and you guys highly recommend it so I’m gonna binge it some night soon
    If you're watching it on Netflix, make sure to watch that one subbed. The dub is an old random cast that do okay but it's just... whatever. It's fine. And it's also not the REALLY old dub that took some liberties was hilarious.

I don't like any of the Cagliostro dubs :(

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I mean he gets angry sometimes
    But he's cool

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Streamline dub or nothing for me. It was my first exposure to Lupin and you never forget your first. Should've worn an asbestos suit 4 ever in my heart.

Never saw cutie honey, but i mean the intro part that wasn't perving had an interesting visual. If i can get my hands on it i'll give it a watch, i mean you were right about slayer being a fun watch.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I wasn't expecting to be reminded about hamtaro today. What a weird thing that was, it wasn't neccesarily a girls show, but it was so different from everything else it sort of defied categorization. I could literally hear that hamtaro intro as i read it, memory is weird man

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Never saw cutie honey, but i mean the intro part that wasn't perving had an interesting visual. If i can get my hands on it i'll give it a watch, i mean you were right about slayer being a fun watch.
    Slayers is my all time favorite, I'll vouch for that all day long. I can't vouch for Cutie Honey the same way, I've only seen a little bit of it from my anime club way back in the day, and it was the old stuff. mostly the opening that's stuck with me.

I never sought it out the same way I did with Lupin, so I'm not sure how good it is or isn't, but it had some of the same vibes. I only brought it up because Lupin using hte saem theme for decades brought it to mind.

Now, we got an confirmation of the current Lupin dub cast members are back for Part 6.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...firmed/.178814

Here's the creditless opening for Lupin, Part 6.

I believe it's streaming on HiDive? Not sure if all the episodes are out or if they're staggering it though.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Yeah, it's streaming on Hidive. I'm just going to wait for the home video release for Part 6 unless it airs on Adult Swim.

So, uh, one ep of the pink jacker has a rather long madonna-esque dance number at it's climax. It was the weirdest thing, but not in a bad way. This is the kind of weirdness they should've focused on, it suits the gaudy 80's colors and silly slapstick

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information