+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Little question to translators!

See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar

Default Little question to translators!

Little question to translators!
    I want to know what japanese word is used to describe the spirit-force Shanks used in chapter 434 , because some translate it to ambition, others to spirit , ...
    I also want to know if its the same word that is used, to describe the spirit thing Zoro used against Kaku with the ashura technique in chapter 417

and when Zoro entered in Kaku s room in chapter 401 , Kaku told him that he could feel his spirit was like a demon s --> Is the same terminology used here too??

If someone can help here it would clear up some things for a lot of people.

Thanks alot for reading, if this request isn t in its place in this section of the forum, feel free to put it where it belongs. Ciao.
    Seeking infinity, with all my affinities.
    Finding truth, like a falling fruit, my ultimate finality.
    Inside my being, the outside, all things; the finite leads the way.

Default Re: Little question to translators!

Just to point out: You don't want the word, you want the kanji. The kanji is the most important thing when it comes to interpreting the correct word.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

Vegapunk Translator

In chapter 434, the word "haki" (覇気) is used. The first kanji means "hegemony; supremacy; leadership; champion", the second means "spirit", and put together they can mean "ambition".

I'm not quite sure I know which part you're talking about in 417, but I think you mean what Zoro says before he uses it, which is "kiki" (鬼気), in which the first kanji is 'oni', meaning "ghost, devil, monster", and the second means "spirit". If that's not the part you're talking about, just tell me, and I can find the right one.

In 401... again, I'm not quite sure where you mean... I do see one part just before they fight where Kaku says something which seems to be about what you mean... There he says "魔獣の様な気", which would roughly mean "spirit like a demonic beast", or something along those lines... But I don't know if that's where you're looking. XD

So, that's about as good as I can do with what you said, if you can give me the page numbers or something I could probably help more, but that's all I can do for now. ^^;;

Thanks a lot murasaki for your effort

I know , my post wasn t clear so I ll try to be more specific right now hopefully it won t bother you.

chapter 417 p16 2nd/3rd frame :
    Kaku thinks : {What was that...?!! I could have sworn for an instant...
    He looked like a demon god with three faces and six arms!!!} (FROM STEPHEN S TRANS)
    some translate it to " He had the EYE of a demon god" others the spirit of a demon god.

later in that same chapter- on page later:
    Kaku: {The same demon again...!!! Is he able to conjure these illusions solely through SPIRIT...?!!}
    Impressive!
    But too late!!
    (FROM STEPHEN again)

so here it is , about chapter 401 you answered already and it looks like "haki" isn t used there.

thanks alot again.
    Ciao

The common word in all of these, "ki," is an extremely versatile concept used in the most curious places. Dragon Ball is one of the most famous mangas where they (in connection with some special moves) used it as a physical projection of an abstract 'willpower.' If you want to understand all of its various meanings, you're in for the long haul...

I took this whole Shanks' haki thing as Oda's little tipping of his hat towards the oldschool shounen series.

Vegapunk Translator

Quote Originally Posted by Mugiwara_no_Ice View Post
    Thanks a lot murasaki for your effort

I know , my post wasn t clear so I ll try to be more specific right now hopefully it won t bother you.

chapter 417 p16 2nd/3rd frame :
    Kaku thinks : {What was that...?!! I could have sworn for an instant...
    He looked like a demon god with three faces and six arms!!!} (FROM STEPHEN S TRANS)
    some translate it to " He had the EYE of a demon god" others the spirit of a demon god.

later in that same chapter- on page later:
    Kaku: {The same demon again...!!! Is he able to conjure these illusions solely through SPIRIT...?!!}
    Impressive!
    But too late!!
    (FROM STEPHEN again)

so here it is , about chapter 401 you answered already and it looks like "haki" isn t used there.

thanks alot again.
    Ciao

Okay, the first one is "kishin" (鬼神), literally meaning something like "demon god", or "monster god", or something like that.

The second one is "kihaku" (気迫) which means "spirit; soul; drive; vigor; vigour;"

So, there you go, hope that helps you figure it all out. ^^

Thanks alot Murasaki and elastic

It cleared up some things for me thanks
    and I learned the kanji for ki :-)

now a little theory:
    I think that ki - power is only reserved for swordsmen in OP
    and every swordsman has his own variation of this;
    Shanks can make people lose consciousness
    Mihawk kan make people panic and have fear (like Gin in krieg-arc)
    and Zoro can change his own body and surroundings

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information